Marrone | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

Yeah, because these guys have no history of developing an offensive line and offense. Nope, never, ever. Nothing.

Ya the facetious thing works better when it's actually not true. Just an fyi for future reference.
Cordy Glenn's career is developing into the ground after being good. Along with the rest of the OL/running game being a disaster with similar personnel as 2yrs ago when it was good.

It was pretty bad Rocco. You should just let it go. You just arbitrarily make up rules like Super Bowl appearances do not matter. Even if you get to 4 in a row.

lol. I enjoy disagreeing with everything he says. I can make up anything if I put my mind to it.

Further, me placing rules on the Super Bowls isn't far from Milly routinely bashing Marrone's "lack" of coaching success. Both are ridiculous.

Ya the facetious thing works better when it's actually not true. Just an fyi for future reference.
Cordy Glenn's career is developing into the ground after being good. Along with the rest of the OL/running game being a disaster with similar personnel as 2yrs ago when it was good.

For future reference, inherited worst offense in D-1, totally revamped the OL with transfers and freshmen and had the 17th ranked offense four years later.

If you take into account strength of schedule and average Shafer's SRS (simple rating system) and Marrone's, then compare them to 2014 SRS standings, it can give you a sense of where each falls on average

Shafer's avg rating = -.715 would be 73rd this year

Marrone's avg rating = .0025 would be 67th this year.

Shafers avg strength of schedule is 3.235 which would be 39th in the country this year

Marrone's avg strength of schedule would've been 63rd this year.

There isn't much difference between 73 and 67. One side can believe that Marrone built them from the ashes, the other side can believe that Marrone left Shafer with nothing at QB.

Both guys are totally average. They're both knuckleheads that are good at teaching college kids to hit hard and they both hurt their teams chances by being stubbornly against math.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/syracuse/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2014-standings.html

This has to be the poster child of statistics getting to the point of dumb. The look test seems obvious, no?

It takes zero real world recognition into account of the teams both guys inherited and circumstances.

Marrone is not a great coach, but holy hell if it isn't obvious he gameplans 25x better than Shafer and did a damn good job rebuilding the program. Shafer is closer to GRob and Pasqualoni's final two years than Marrone through thus far. Not. Even. Close.

This has to be the poster child of statistics getting to the point of dumb. The look test seems obvious, no?

It takes zero real world recognition into account of the teams both guys inherited and circumstances.

Marrone is not a great coach, but holy hell if it isn't obvious he gameplans 25x better than Shafer and did a damn good job rebuilding the program. Shafer is closer to GRob and Pasqualoni's final two years than Marrone through thus far. Not. Even. Close.

He acts like they started in the same spot.

He has MDS bad.

First, comparing P's final 6-6 bowl season to GRob or to what we saw this year is nothing short of just plain wrong

Second, the post fails to recognize Marrone's superior administrative skills. There was never a doubt that he was running the show on the Hill.

Scott Shafer does not appear to have the kind of command or administrative gravitas that Doug had. He dominated the Program.

At this point Marrone may not be "great" in the sense of historic greatness, but at SU he was great.

He w
Not sure the facts support this. He was 12th in completion %, ahead of Brady, Manning (obviously), Wilson, Flacco, and Luck. Just to name a few. He was also 19th in overall QB rating ahead of Stafford and Kaeprnick (whom I bet you would have preferred in a second). He's also a essentially a career backup, with a weak arm, very little agility, playing in Buffalo, and just retired... to name a few negatives.

He did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.
he was just awful., missed open guys all over the field. He couldn't throw downfield at all

First, comparing P's final 6-6 bowl season to GRob or to what we saw this year is nothing short of just plain wrong

Second, the post fails to recognize Marrone's superior administrative skills. There was never a doubt that he was running the show on the Hill.

Scott Shafer does not appear to have the kind of command or administrative gravitas that Doug had. He dominated the Program.

At this point Marrone may not be "great" in the sense of historic greatness, but at SU he was great.

Marrone's "superior" administrative skills? He alienated alums and botched things like being given Jim Brown's signed senior year varsity jacket without giving the giver the proper administrative elements as a result. well overplayed.

P started and ended that season with 51-point atrocities than were imprinted on most of America. He co-captained the decline because he did not fight for what was needed to win as a football program. THAT, and Ga Tech did not have BLOW OUT talent like it did to Syracuse in the first 30 minutes of that game.

Thing is with Doug...he may need to operate the way Al Davis did. Good luck with that. Strong ball coach though.

You guys certainly love your moral victories these days. You know the Patriots won 11 games with a guy quarterbacking who never started a game in college right when Brady tore his ACL?

You can do better than Marrone is my entire point.

LOL what a horrible post

1. New OC with more aggressive play calling
2. Keep defense
3. Consistent QB play, either bring someone in or hope Manuel proves me wrong

Rocco said:
lol. I enjoy disagreeing with everything he says.
I think you have a brain in your head and make logical posts

MadNY3 said:
This has to be the poster child of statistics getting to the point of dumb. The look test seems obvious, no? It takes zero real world recognition into account of the teams both guys inherited and circumstances. Marrone is not a great coach, but holy hell if it isn't obvious he gameplans 25x better than Shafer and did a damn good job rebuilding the program. Shafer is closer to GRob and Pasqualoni's final two years than Marrone through thus far. Not. Even. Close.
1.5 wins per season. Florida state and Clemson. I think your look test stinks I think Shafer is a dope too, don't get me wrong

Do you think Marrone left him in a good spot at qb?

OrangePA said:
I noticed that too. Look test!

He w

he was just awful., missed open guys all over the field. He couldn't throw downfield at all

That's possible but apparently a lot of top QB's did that too but at a higher rate.

You guys certainly love your moral victories these days. You know the Patriots won 11 games with a guy quarterbacking who never started a game in college right when Brady tore his ACL?

You can do better than Marrone is my entire point.
Have you seen the Bills head coaching over the past 15-20 years? Yeah, makes sense to dump Marrone because they can do better... that's likely to end well.

1.5 wins per season. Florida state and Clemson. I think your look test stinks I think Shafer is a dope too, don't get me wrong

Do you think Marrone left him in a good spot at qb?

In college football, it is tough to leave teams in great situations when you are turning over the roster relentlessly.

Post Nassib there was no one. And frankly, Nassib was a GRob recruit. So no, he didn't...but perhaps statistically, with the recruits coming in and their rankings, it may statistically prove otherwise? Just like, statistically, Manuel was not a horrible pick by the #s, but clearly he ain't the solution.

Marrone's "superior" administrative skills? He alienated alums and botched things like being given Jim Brown's signed senior year varsity jacket without giving the giver the proper administrative elements as a result. well overplayed.

P started and ended that season with 51-point atrocities than were imprinted on most of America. He co-captained the decline because he did not fight for what was needed to win as a football program. THAT, and Ga Tech did not have BLOW OUT talent like it did to Syracuse in the first 30 minutes of that game.

Thing is with Doug...he may need to operate the way Al Davis did. Good luck with that. Strong ball coach though.

P won six games in 2004. He won a conference crown. He went to a bowl game.

He beat Pitt, Rutgers. UConn, and clobbered BC at BC. Hard to compare that to 10 wins in 4 years or 3 wins last year. And now it's his fault that the administration wouldn't spend money???

Oh my goodness you are so wrong.

As far as your Ga Tech measure of coaching is concerned the fact is that blow outs occur in bowl games all the time. See Dabo getting wiped out by WVU just to name one example.

Bowl games are often wild cards due to the long lay offs. That P was measured by that game was an example of the kind of amateurish decision making that Cantor undertook at the time. Using it in this thread is just as inappropriate. Indeed the measure you are now advancing set the program back at least five years.

And the idea that we now have to examine point totals game by game in assessing coaching success and skill is nonsensical hairsplitting - a search for an argument.

Marrone ran the program. Like his decisions on issues like memorabilia or not he ran the show with decisiveness and leadership. He was a major talent and force and the NFL knew it.

He was great at SU.

OrangePA said:
P won six games in 2004. He won a conference crown. He went to a bowl game. He beat Pitt, Rutgers. UConn, and clobbered BC at BC. Hard to compare that to 10 wins in 4 years or 3 wins last year. And now it's his fault that the administration wouldn't spend money??? Oh my goodness you are so wrong. As far as your Ga Tech measure of coaching is concerned the fact is that blow outs occur in bowl games all the time. See Dabo getting wiped out by WVU just to name one example. Bowl games are often wild cards due to the long lay offs. That P was measured by that game was an example of the kind of amateurish decision making that Cantor undertook at the time. Using it in this thread is just as inappropriate. Indeed the measure you are now advancing set the program back at least five years. And the idea that we now have to examine point totals game by game in assessing coaching success and skill is nonsensical hairsplitting - a search for an argument. Marrone ran the program. Like his decisions on issues like memorabilia or not he ran the show with decisiveness and leadership. He was a major talent and force and the NFL knew it. He was great at SU.

I don't measure P on that 1 bowl blowout. He had a great run with some great wins. But I measure him by the 16-20 record the last 3 years which included multiple blow out losses as well as embarrassing losses to teams like Temple and rutgirls. The program had gone stale. We were no longer having any success recruiting as shown by his last 3 classes and the fact we were failing in Florida and NJ, two places that had been so friendly to our recruiting classes. It was time.

He's a Pats fan, of course he wants the Bills to get rid of Marrone and sink back into the abyss.

not really. Keep him, get rid of him, doesn't matter as long as Belichick is in charge. I never compared the two, i'm just saying they are night and day in terms of coaches and as long as that delta remains i'll be happy as a Patriots fan. I never compared one to the other. That's outrageous to even do.

I do think there are guys out there who, if inherited the Bills job, would be a problem for the Patriots over the long haul. I just don't think Marrone is that guy.

That doesn't take away from what I thought was a great job at SU. I wish he was still there like I said initially. Unfortunately he was a complete fraud in terms of his intentions and left the university, his university, in a serious bind when he left his "Dream Job".

Regarding spygate and his record since 2007. I think the Patriots have had one 10 win season (the remaining are all over 11). Spygate was complete nonsense as well but to fuel the moronic argument, he's done just fine. Would I like a few superbowls sure, but that has nothing to do with the consistency established. Ask Jimmy Johnson how dumb spygate was (or Syracuse alum Al Davis if he was still alive).

Marrone was not great by any measure at Syracuse. He had the potential to be very good to great, but please stop trying to tell us how "great" he was.

He was two miracle last-minute drives from going 5-7 in his final year. With a senior QB and a senior WR who started a lot of games, not to mention a 1st round draft pick at LT.

In addition, he lost the last 5 games of the 2011 season. Injuries, shminjuries. Everyone and every team has them - look at the box score participation, all 11 offensive starters were the same for the next three games following the WVU blowout.

He then left before you could really get a glimpse at how he had turned the program around. I don't blame him for leaving, but the fact that he did precludes him from ever being considered a great coach at Syracuse University.

Marrone was a good head coach during his time at Syracuse, took us to two mid-level bowls and won them. He never recruited an impact QB, never recruited an impact skill position player offensively (Lemon is 50%... Broyld? Maybe.) but did build a pretty good defense (with a great defensive coordinator). You are seeing the "fruits" of his recruiting labor this year (and last). Our offensive talent is so far behind arguably our best two skill guys (Philips and Ishmael) were true freshmen.

There is more to being a college football coach than being a great administrator.

Cowherd just announced that his "mystery guy" he spoke about weeks ago for Michigan was Marrone. He then praised Marrone as the "most underrated coach in the NFL". He said that until Buffalo beat Green Bay, Marrone's job at Buffalo was in jeopardy due to the uncertainty of new management in Buffalo... and he was the best choice for Michigan after Harbaugh.

Yeah, just not so amazing since spy gate.
serious? they have been great since spygate. They just haven't won the super bowl. My Giants beat them twice in the super bowl and it took two great football plays to do it. Plus, they are in the mix every year