Matt Moyer transferring | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice of you to put things into context. Shocker.

If you don't know the context (which you obviously don't), why comment?
I get it, when you've heard things it's frustrating to see people spouting off to the contrary.

I'd ask who you heard from, the Moyer's directly? I don't expect you to tell, or I missed it if you already did.

Regardless, without being directly involved in the conversations it's tough for anyone to to indirectly paint the proper context.

Burning a bridge may not have been the best way I could have put it. Let's just say that it wasn't handled well and JB should not have said what he said at that presser.

Matt's decision was not just about that but that clearly didn't make the Moyer's feeling warm and fuzzy. I'm sure JB had the end-of-season talk with him but this was not just about playing time. Hop leaving wasn't a positive. Matt was close to Hop. Hop was also great at smoothing things over when negative vibes came up.

It's highly debatable whether Matt was ever 100%. Did he come back too soon initially? Maybe.

I'm not trying to stir crap up. I'm just being honest.
I dont think it was so horrible that coach said what he did. If im coaching, i wouldnt be happy if a parent stops their kid from playing if the trainers ok him. Parental involvement is aggravating and i am not saying it was right, but might notbe wrong either.

And so much for starting 11 deep depth charts for next year. And call me a wet blanket for saying to wait, wait until the NBA deline, until summer sessions , until school starts in the fall. That depth chart has changed already. Will it change again? Does JB try to get that 11th man?

Few things more annoying as a coach than dealing with parents.

I wish Matt well wherever he ends up.

The real issue this the second year in row that we loosing players. What is jb doing?

No he didn't. Not according to JBs own words. Nothing JB said suggested his Dad told JB to sit Matt.

He said his dad told his son to sit and JB doesn't play players who don't want to.
That’s still meddling.

Nice of you to put things into context. Shocker.

If you don't know the context (which you obviously don't), why comment?
Feel free to correct the record.

This is a tough transfer. You need guys like him on the team. Maybe he wouldn't have really contributed for a year or so, but he was a smart kid, gung ho orange and seemed to help recruit other kids.

Besides that, you need the depth for practice.

I don't know what happened with his injury, but I'll say this, the way JB reacted to it was terrible. Even if he had every right to be PO'd (I don't know, don't care right now), he gave every other team recruiting ammo against us. Calling out a player as it relates to health is always a bad, bad idea to do publicly.

If HoWa has to RS next year, we have nine players (assuming Tyus is out)? I really hope Sidibe's surgery is successful and we don't have any other unexpected defections.

Last edited:
That’s still meddling.

That's fine...but some reason you decided in your head that something else happened per JB. I corrected you since I think facts matter. I didn't want a false narrative to be driven by you.

That's fine...but some reason you decided in your head that something else happened per JB. I corrected you since I think facts matter. I didn't want a false narrative to be driven by you.
Thanks for clearing all of that up. Not sarcasm.

Tough loss for the program for reasons that go well beyond the basketball court.

Great kid, great student, bound to be very successful in life and wish Matt all the best.

Yup.
That post aged rather poorly, and incredibly quickly.

I don’t/didn’t claim any inside info - clearly.
Just trying to look at it logically.

Oh well.
I think it’s really short sighted on his part.
It’s his life, but - I don’t think it’s a good call.

A year of zero PT is still less than he would have gotten next year.
And I truly believe he could have been a really solid player for us as a Jr & Sr.

Heck, I’m still a little bummed BJ had to transfer - his 2 years at Lasalle showed what he could have been here, with a RS season.

Best of luck, Matty Nice!

Its a good lesson to not act pretentiously and that you know better than everyone else. The writing was on the wall here. You were blind to it.

Matt seemed like a great kid and appeared to be a very good teammate. Unfortunately, he was far less skilled than anyone thought he would be when he originally signed. He provided good energy to the team, but was an absolute liability on offense. I know it stinks to have players leave, but sometimes it's just for the best for all parties. Moyer wants to play and it became fairly clear that he wasn't going to get much burn at Syracuse in the near future. Best of luck to Matt... I hope he finds a program that allows him to flourish.

Feel free to correct the record.
Sometimes parents try to get answers. When those repeated attempts to get answers are ignored, a parent might decide to get an answer face-to-face. Desperate times, desperate measures. Matt's ankle was really badly sprained.

This is a separate issue: Matt certainly looked unconcerned about his ankle in the video we've all seen of the team celebrating the announcement of the NCAA berth. Matt jumping around and on top of a table, he did not look injured. I have to say that. However, there is a feeling in some quarters that Matt's ankle never healed properly. In context of what happened here, I don't think that's insignificant.

Its a good lesson to not act pretentiously and that you know better than everyone else. The writing was on the wall here. You were blind to it.
I like that you're lecturing someone about acting pretentiously because a post he made turned out to be wrong.

If this is a shock then you need to start paying attention.

Sometimes parents try to get answers. When those repeated attempts to get answers are ignored, a parent might decide to get an answer face-to-face. Desperate times, desperate measures. Matt's ankle was really badly sprained.

This is a separate issue: Matt certainly looked unconcerned about his ankle in the video we've all seen of the team celebrating the announcement of the NCAA berth. Matt jumping around and on top of a table, he did not look injured. I have to say that. However, there is a feeling in some quarters that Matt's ankle never healed properly. In context of what happened here, I don't think that's insignificant.

Some quarters? Everyone knows you have a line with Matt. You used to write those scoops based on tips from him. At the end of the day, matt wasnt a good fit here. Matt might want to use the ankle as the pretexr but lets not ignore the fact that he isnt syracuse level good.

Dad literally drove up to campus and told JB to sit MM.
To protect Matt from himself. Not sure why that gets lost here...

It wasn't about JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors