Matt Moyer transferring | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. Good find. But it probably won't slow down the speculation here.

Tracking transfer in Division I Men’s Basketball

• That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.
Does “depart” include early entries? If so, this stat is useless.

If not, then it definitely shows that we are within the norm

After Matt sprained his ankle, he missed the following game, but played in the next I believe. I recall an interview Donna did with him after that game he played in where he was quoted that the ankle was 100% good, no issues and is a non factor and good to go...or something along those lines. Maybe he tweaked it again later in the days ahead in practice, etc., but there was never any mention of it in print/text form anywhere. So, him being 100% came directly from the horse's mouth.

Don't know. Not my ankle.
Clearly it didn't. He was giving it his all the very next game and played out the season. So was the intervention a bust (i.e. Matt's parents couldn't save him from himself) or was the medical staff right all along (he was healthy enough to play)?

I think JB's comments after the game he sat basically ended Moyer's career at Syracuse. One way or the other.
I think JB is a great coach but his public handling of Players and Press has always been his Achilles. Before i read his book i didnt understand his behavior. If you read the book it is obvious where JB got his mean spirited and insecure tendencies from.

Im not saying hes a bad guy. He seems like a great guy. I am missing his value to thw program though. I rather give the ship to a more talented player. But i wish him well.

But we won't! That's the frickin' point. We'll just have a depleted bench. I'm sure we'd all rather give it to a more talented player, but those kids have chosen other schools already.

• That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.
Does “depart” include early entries? If so, this stat is useless.

If not, then it definitely shows that we are within the norm
Even if it includes early entries, that's only a few hundred kids per year in a sport that has over 4000 players at the DI level, not enough to really move the transfer rate that much.

Clearly it didn't. He was giving it his all the very next game and played out the season. So was the intervention a bust (i.e. Matt's parents couldn't save him from himself) or was the medical staff right all along (he was healthy enough to play)?

After taking a game off... That's kind of important as a detail...

I was saddened to see this development. Matt is a great young man. If I had a son, I would want him to be like Matt. I cn’t help thinking he might have stayed had JB included him in the rotation all season. I think he deserved that much given all the loyalty he showed the program.

But he usually struggled in the playing time he received and when you look at his skill set, the way Syracuse plays, and the roster for the next year or two, it is understandable this was going to happen.

I hope Matt finds a place that is close to the quality of Newhouse, where he will be a key part of the basketball team the rest of his career. Maybe Northwestern? Wherever he goes, whatever he does, I know I will be rooting for him. I wish him only the best.

How about not getting any answers at all through conventional means? Does that count? Like literally, and yes, I mean literally not getting an answer.
So they never spoke with the trainer? That's what you're saying?

After Matt sprained his ankle, he missed the following game, but played in the next I believe. I recall an interview Donna did with him after that game he played in where he was quoted that the ankle was 100% good, no issues and is a non factor and good to go...or something along those lines. Maybe he tweaked it again later in the days ahead in practice, etc., but there was never any mention of it in print/text form anywhere. So, him being 100% came directly from the horse's mouth.

Players lie, especially about the extent of injuries. It's also possible he thought it was 100% and it wasn't.

Guys, pain isn't the only factor in playing on a sprained ankle. You could have minimal pain, but the ankle still might only be performing at 50%. That's the nature of sprains. And the more you play on a sprain, the longer it takes to recover. You can take painkillers to basically not even feel your ankle, but that doesn't mean you can now run and jump on it any/much better than you could without painkillers. I don't fault Moyer for choosing to sit and recover.
You think sitting one game made a difference?

Did I state otherwise?

You did. He sat out one game, came back for three, and then took the next game off. You only referenced one game off. For an injury the staff said we would be what, a two week minimum? He rushed himself back. And contributed next to nothing in those three games, other than eat up minutes.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. The kid's parents tried to protect him from himself. I get it. I have a kid who would sell his best friend to play in the next game.

Ahhh too much speculation here. Hopefully he isn't leaving because his parents had hurt feelings over JB's pc after his dad had him sit out a game due to his ankle injury.

Just a reminder to the overly sensitive folks here that it was ankle injury not a broken leg. I'm fairly certain the training staff would not let him play if he could cause further damage. He is a DI athlete with professional aspirations. Most of these guys will play when given the choice. And yes I have had high ankle sprains and they are a bear to deal with.

Good luck to Matt.

But we won't! That's the frickin' point. We'll just have a depleted bench. I'm sure we'd all rather give it to a more talented player, but those kids have chosen other schools already.

Matt would be here two more years. We got dole at the 11th hour last year. You really dont know, but either way, my philosophy is you are either a cuse level player or not. If you are not cuse level and on scholarship, its best for all parties that said player depart.

I was saddened to see this development. Matt is a great young man. If I had a son, I would want him to be like Matt. I cn’t help thinking he might have stayed had JB included him in the rotation all season. I think he deserved that much given all the loyalty he showed the program.

But he usually struggled in the playing time he received and when you look at his skill set, the way Syracuse plays, and the roster for the next year or two, it is understandable this was going to happen.

I hope Matt finds a place that is close to the quality of Newhouse, where he will be a key part of the basketball team the rest of his career. Maybe Northwestern? Wherever he goes, whatever he does, I know I will be rooting for him. I wish him only the best.

I would only debate you here in regards to the loyalty issue as the rest I'd agree and hope for as well. This is Syracuse, who plays at the highest level of D1 ball, where we constantly hear here and everywhere how this is a business. Well, it's JB's first and foremost duty to win games, and if JB honestly felt Matt deserved to be in the rotation based upon his talent and skill, he absolutely would have been. Especially, this season when we were so short handed. Matt's alleged loyalty to the program was returned 100% back with two years of a free education. Matt's professional future is not playing professional ball in any capacity.

Ahhh too much speculation here. Hopefully he isn't leaving because his parents had hurt feelings over JB's pc after his dad had him sit out a game due to his ankle injury.

Just a reminder to the overly sensitive folks here that it was ankle injury not a broken leg. I'm fairly certain the training staff would not let him play if he could cause further damage. He is a DI athlete with professional aspirations. Most of these guys will play when given the choice. And yes I have had high ankle sprains and they are a bear to deal with.

Good luck to Matt.

I'm sorry, but as a middle-aged white guy, I really have to call out my brethren like you. We live in a different time and a different age. If JB believes that parents shouldn't get involved, he should hang it up, because all parents from this point forward are only going to be more engaged. We parents have invested so much time, effort, energy and money into our kids that yes, we expect ROI and we expect to be intimately involved. If that's not going to happen at SU, fine. We'll take our ball (player) and go elsewhere...

I would only debate you here in regards to the loyalty issue as the rest I'd agree and hope for as well. This is Syracuse, who plays at the highest level of D1 ball, we constantly hear here and everywhere how this is a business. Well, it's JB's first and foremost duty to win games, and if he honestly felt Matt deserved to be in the rotation based upon his talent and skill, he absolutely would have been. Especially, this season when we were so short handed. Matt's alleged loyalty to the program was returned 100% back with two years of a free education. Matt's professional future is not playing professional ball in any capacity.

Not sure how anyone could watch matt and think its a good idea hes on the floor other than out of necessity. He is a poor mans, less atheltic tyler roberson.

Regardless of everything, I don't think anyone's happy to see Matt go. I think the intangibles he brought to the team were widely recognized.

I wish him all the luck in the world.
I think most are sad to see him go. I can think of 3 or 4 who are elated.

Why not?
We have no idea why BJ transferred. Maybe he couldn't take it. Maybe he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Syracuse across his chest!!

(Fwiw I don't believe any of the above. I'm trying to make a point)
A point that doesn't ring true if you look at any of OBJs posts or anything that BJ has said.
I think if OBJ did anything it was pushing BJ to be the best he could be.

You did. He sat out one game, came back for three, and then took the next game off. You only referenced one game off. For an injury the staff said we would be what, a two week minimum? He rushed himself back. And contributed next to nothing in those three games, other than eat up minutes.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. The kid's parents tried to protect him from himself. I get it. I have a kid who would sell his best friend to play in the next game.
Show me where I said he was pain free. The one game I'm referring to is the Wake Forest game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom