Mayors in NYC & LA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mayors in NYC & LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still don't know enough about the virus and its spread to come up with any kind of "middle ground" position, so the safest bet is to cancel non-essential activities. We thought 6 feet was enough to protect you. Now some researchers are saying that the virus can travel as far as 13 feet and infect others. We thought two weeks after infection and you can safely come out of quarantine. Now some researchers are saying that even after recovery the virus could remain with you, though possibly in an inert state. We don't know yet.

Again the Unknown. You can't have a society living off the fear of the unknown. We have to for society/economy/country sake have a return to a normal or a new normal.

You will have people fleeing NYC and NY State or LA California. I fully understand whats going on but I'm not gonna live in a police state or more accurately under marshall law which if your look up the definition is very similar to what Govenor Coumo and other politicians across the country (minus our President United States) are try to institute. You can only shut down peoples livelyhoods and business and rights to gather peacefully and keep them indoors for so long before people revolt. I'm just speaking as a local its one thing for this to happen now during the latter part of winter through early spring beacuse of how the weather is and can be. Goodluck getting people to abide by this come memorial day late may early june maybe, 4th july forget it bout it. Just being realistic here.

Last edited:
Again the Unknown. You can't have a society living off the fear of the unknown. We have to for society/economy/country sake have a return to a normal or a new normal.

No one is saying live your life in fear. But pro sports are not essential to life. If you believe that they are, maybe it's time to re-prioritize. One thing we have a lot of now is time to do some serious thinking about what really matters.

No one is saying live your life in fear. But pro sports are not essential to life. If you believe that they are, maybe it's time to re-prioritize. One thing we have a lot of now is time to do some serious thinking about what really matters.

Just for arguments sake regarding fans attendence at sporting events.

What do you say to the concessions people who work at these stadiums, what bout your box office employees, your parking lot attendents ? Which their jobs revolve around having fans at games in someway.

Stimulus checks and unemployment which some of these workers might not be eligible for if they are considered seasonal will only go so far.

say there will be no professional sports in their cities until 2021. That sounds like fall football and basketball are in serious trouble.
NYC doesn't have any NFL teams. The Rams and Chargers stadium is in Englewood. Not that it means they will play, just that it wouldn't be up to the mayors of those two cities.

Being that they are saying 12 to 18 months for a vaccine that’s not going out on a limb. The only way it happens earlier is if they come up with a really , (game changer) treatment. That’s the only hope for 2020

For the most part, this is probably true. Speaking as a retired executive in the Biotech/Life Sciences industry, you kind of nailed it. This is almost 50 years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology talking plus decades of commercial responsibility. I understand FDA clinical trials to a pretty extensive degree.

There are potential game changer technologies out there...if they work. Life Science is based around game changing but whether it happens this time is too soon to tell. There are things/technologies in development that have promise but there are also a few that have been around for quite awhile (in principle) and have never been successful...yet.

My (Captain Obvious) personal belief is that our best short term hope is for a treatment and not a vaccine. I won't go into the specifics of FDA trials but the high level issue is efficacy (does it work, how well, and as a corollary, does it work better than what is already out there) and safety (what are the side effects...everything has side effects...how prevalent are they, and how serious are they). I could talk at length about that but I won't. This is a sports board.

OK, as it pertains to treatments you have some choices on fast-tracking certain things in clinical trials (and by "you" I mean the FDA). Keep in mind that trials take time (you can't always rush Biology), usually a LOT of time, and in many cases it takes additional time to manufacture the treatment to scale...plus the time in development up front. The FDA CAN fast track molecules/and or treatments for patients who otherwise would die anyway. This happens with cancer treatments occasionally. Maybe there is a 20% response rate plus a host of potential nasty side effects in Phase II clinical trials but for a patient who is dying what choice do they have? The flip side is that maybe a therapy works (sort of) and has not shown a lot of serious side effects. There is the POTENTIAL to fast track that as well or at least rapidly expand the trial.
The Golden Goose is a treatment that seems to work well and is, surprisingly, remarkably safe. That is your prototype fast track candidate in a global emergency. We all pray for that.

For vaccines, the whole issue is different. While treatments are geared toward sick patients, vaccines go into a healthy population. In paragraph 3 above I mentioned safety. This becomes a significant issue with a vaccine; the whole "first, do no harm" thing that doesn't actually appear in the original Hippocratic Oath but is generally accepted by physicians as well as scientists.

If the vaccine causes its own really significant issues, forget it getting fast-tracked (I am going to stay out of political issues as it potentially pertains here). If it doesn't work to a significant degree, that of course is another issue. Even if it works, there is the scale-up issue as it pertains to making enough doses for a large population. That takes time and potentially a lot of time.

I read recently where someone speculated that we would get eventually ID cards verifying that we tested negative for Covid -19 and had antibodies and who is to say that couldn't happen if we wanted to enter large events. I mean, I spent the evening watching SNL audition videos on YouTube and if you had asked me 4 months ago what I would be doing, that activity would have ranked somewhere below "inviting a door-to-door evangelist in to listen to what they had to say." What I am trying to say is that it is a different world for awhile. But you already knew that.

So not to ramble too much further, treatments and testing are the key issue to get sports and, more importantly, "life" back to normal. A vaccine will likely come later and we all pray that it comes at all.

Last edited:
For the most part, this is probably true. As a retired executive in the Biotech/Life Sciences industry, you kind of nailed it. This is almost 50 years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology talking plus decades of commercial responsibility. ...

... I spent the evening watching SNL audition videos on YouTube and if you had asked me 4 months ago what I would be doing, that activity would have ranked somewhere below "inviting a door-to-door evangelist in to listen to what they had to say." What I am trying to say is that it is a different world for awhile. But you already knew that.

So not to ramble too much further, treatments and testing are the key issue to get sports and, more importantly, "life" back to normal. A vaccine will likely come later and we all pray that it comes at all.
LOL to "if you had asked me 4 months ago what I would be doing, that activity would have ranked somewhere below "inviting a door-to-door evangelist in to listen to what they had to say."

Good info, too.

right, but this person was alluding to a major issue there because people are living on top of each-other I believe?
Shooting in the dark, but their president probably didn’t call COVID-19 a Democratic hoax, a mild flu, a hoax (in general), and/or not a real threat to the country because it’s entirely under control, thereby creating mass confusion and division as to what people should do and to what extent they should respond to the threat.

it’s also been ~27 years since I’ve been to Japan, but I remember it (at least Tokyo) being warmer than NYC, and the virus seems to do better in cold weather.

I’m sure there are other reasons (distribution of medical supplies, potentially having a funded government agency with expertise at responding to infectious diseases, not starting trade wars mid-crisis, and so on), and there is no doubt that there’s plenty of blame to go around, but the above described reasons are probably the big ones.

Shooting in the dark, but their president probably didn’t call COVID-19 a Democratic hoax, a mild flu, a hoax (in general), and/or not a real threat to the country because it’s entirely under control, thereby creating mass confusion and division as to what people should do and to what extent they should respond to the threat.

it’s also been ~27 years since I’ve been to Japan, but I remember it (at least Tokyo) being warmer than NYC, and the virus seems to do better in cold weather.

I’m sure there are other reasons (distribution of medical supplies, potentially having a funded government agency with expertise at responding to infectious diseases, not starting trade wars mid-crisis, and so on), and there is no doubt that there’s plenty of blame to go around, but the above described reasons are probably the big ones.
The people at the top of huge government agencies who control multi-billion dollar budgets, who you would think most of their effort should be spent watching and modeling for possible pandemics, especially corona based, were telling the public and the president that there was little risk to America as late as March.

The mayor of NYC had much to do with the confusion in New York City...

From the start, Mr. de Blasio and Mr. Cuomo projected as much concern about panic as they did about the virus.

“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.

That tone continued even after the first positive case was announced on March 1.

“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”

Just for arguments sake regarding fans attendence at sporting events.

What do you say to the concessions people who work at these stadiums, what bout your box office employees, your parking lot attendents ? Which their jobs revolve around having fans at games in someway.

Stimulus checks and unemployment which some of these workers might not be eligible for if they are considered seasonal will only go so far.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. It's not just them who are screwed but at least 20 million others. I think full automation and UBI is the way forward.

Has Cuomo said yet that the mayor doesn't have this authority?

Watching him be the Jerry to de Blasio's Tom has been entertaining. In a time of a crisis, it's about as productive a use of time as the cartoon itself, but entertaining nonetheless!

Last edited:
For the most part, this is probably true. As a retired executive in the Biotech/Life Sciences industry, you kind of nailed it. This is almost 50 years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology talking plus decades of commercial responsibility. I understand FDA clinical trials to a pretty extensive degree.

There are potential game changer technologies out there...if they work. Life Science is based around game changing but whether it happens this time is too soon to tell. There are things/technologies in development that have promise but there are also a few that have been around for quite awhile (in principle) and have never been successful...yet.

My (Captain Obvious) personal belief is that our best short term hope is for a treatment and not a vaccine. I won't go into the specifics of FDA trials but the high level issue is efficacy (does it work, how well, and as a corollary, does it work better than what is already out there) and safety (what are the side effects...everything has side effects...how prevalent are they, and how serious are they). I could talk at length about that but I won't. This is a sports board.

OK, as it pertains to treatments you have some choices on fast-tracking certain things in clinical trials (and by "you" I mean the FDA). Keep in mind that trials take time (you can't always rush Biology), usually a LOT of time, and in many cases it takes additional time to manufacture the treatment to scale...plus the time in development up front. The FDA CAN fast track molecules/and or treatments for patients who otherwise would die anyway. This happens with cancer treatments occasionally. Maybe there is a 20% response rate plus a host of potential nasty side effects in Phase II clinical trials but for a patient who is dying what choice do they have? The flip side is that maybe a therapy works (sort of) and has not shown a lot of serious side effects. There is the POTENTIAL to fast track that as well or at least rapidly expand the trial.
The Golden Goose is a treatment that seems to work well and is, surprisingly, remarkably safe. That is your prototype fast track candidate in a global emergency. We all pray for that.

For vaccines, the whole issue is different. While treatments are geared toward sick patients, vaccines go into a healthy population. In paragraph 3 above I mentioned safety. This becomes a significant issue with a vaccine; the whole "first, do no harm" thing that doesn't actually appear in the original Hippocratic Oath but is generally accepted by physicians as well as scientists.

If the vaccine causes its own really significant issues, forget it getting fast-tracked (I am going to stay out of political issues as it potentially pertains here). If it doesn't work to a significant degree, that of course is another issue. Even if it works, there is the scale-up issue as it pertains to making enough doses for a large population. That takes time and potentially a lot of time.

I read recently where someone speculated that we would get eventually ID cards verifying that we tested negative for Covid -19 and had antibodies and who is to say that couldn't happen if we wanted to enter large events. I mean, I spent the evening watching SNL audition videos on YouTube and if you had asked me 4 months ago what I would be doing, that activity would have ranked somewhere below "inviting a door-to-door evangelist in to listen to what they had to say." What I am trying to say is that it is a different world for awhile. But you already knew that.

Yeah. I seriously don't get all this "vaccine talk." Why isn't there as audible a cry for treatment as there is for vaccine? As in cure? If there's anything that makes me want to become a conspiracy theorist, this is it--mainstream media and authorities talking about vaccine again and again. No talk, or very little talk of treatment.

Vaccines seem to be more rife with problematic issues than the search for a treatment. The difference being that vaccines are pushed on all people, healthy included, and treatments are used by those that actually need it.. Sounds like big pharma trying to push another vaccine on the masses ...many, many of whom don't even need it since they will be asymptomatic, or have mild symptoms if they get it.

I am raising my hand to say I personally want nothing to do with a vaccine, and I absolutely want nothing to do with another vaccine that the government mandates that all people should take, when I may not even need it.

Would love to hear more talk about treatment

they have been wearing masks for years in the metro areas
Thought I would Google some pictures of Japanese baseball fans (I believe baseball is a huge deal over there). I'm seeing pictures of packed stadiums, but I'm not seeing people wearing masks. You would think if they were wearing masks all over the place in metro areas, they would for sure be wearing masks in packed stadiums.

What's the difference? Or are the use of masks in metro areas not as widespread as you are seeming to make it sound? Or am I seeing the wrong pictures?

Yeah. I seriously don't get all this "vaccine talk." Why isn't there as audible a cry for treatment as there is for vaccine? As in cure? If there's anything that makes me want to become a conspiracy theorist, this is it--mainstream media and authorities talking about vaccine again and again. No talk, or very little talk of treatment.

Let me be clear; I was not in any way downplaying the urgent need for a vaccine. Not even remotely. I was merely pointing out that a potential treatment for sick patients could possibly be found sooner. Both are desperately needed.

Actually, there is a very audible cry for treatments among the media, authorities, and healthcare professionals. Keep in mind that a "treatment" is generally not a cure. There are a lot of treatments being explored, both novel as well as things that are used for other diseases and could potentially have applicability for Covid 19.

What makes the quest for a vaccine so important is that it is a preventative. A treatment can help a sick person but it doesn't stop him/her from spreading the virus before treatment/hospitalization. It doesn't protect the doctors and nurses that have to treat that patient or the uninfected people who came in contact with the patient before he/she was diagnosed. It just makes sick people potentially less likely to die. A vaccine can potentially keep people from getting sick in the first place.

Could smallpox be treated? To a degree but it killed over 500 million people in the last hundred years of its existance. In the 1800's it killed hundreds of thousands of people every year. The reason it is not currently killing anyone is that we have a vaccine and the disease is now eradicated. That is why a vaccine is the ultimate goal in this case but until we get to the point where an effective one can be found, a treatment for infected patients is also extremely important.

Last edited:

Vaccines seem to be more rife with problematic issues than the search for a treatment. The difference being that vaccines are pushed on all people, healthy included, and treatments are used by those that actually need it.. Sounds like big pharma trying to push another vaccine on the masses ...many, many of whom don't even need it since they will be asymptomatic, or have mild symptoms if they get it.

I am raising my hand to say I personally want nothing to do with a vaccine, and I absolutely want nothing to do with another vaccine that the government mandates that all people should take, when I may not even need it.

Would love to hear more talk about treatment

agreed. I'd rather we just have better treatment. I'm not going to be forced to take a vaccine for this. no way no how.

I've never had a flu shot and I've only ever had the flu twice in the last 20 years.

This is BS. DeBlasio completely failed NYC. He completely ignored Cuomo and refused to proactively shut down the schools and parks etc among many other failures on his part. Had nothing to do with 45. The guy should really have been removed from office for his total incompetence and failure.

Remember when you would watch some news report and they'd show some Asian city and everyone was wearing face masks? That's because they've been through this kind of thing before and the scars are still with them.

I thought they largely wore masks because of their smog and pollution problems.

For the most part, this is probably true. Speaking as a retired executive in the Biotech/Life Sciences industry, you kind of nailed it. This is almost 50 years of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology talking plus decades of commercial responsibility. I understand FDA clinical trials to a pretty extensive degree.

Re: ID card for the "immune". A cautionary tale.

There is no professional football played in NYC, and with the way the Knicks play, I’m not sure they play professional basketball there either.
1587047618768.png

This is BS. DeBlasio completely failed NYC. He completely ignored Cuomo and refused to proactively shut down the schools and parks etc among many other failures on his part. Had nothing to do with 45. The guy should really have been removed from office for his total incompetence and failure.

It's pretty easy to find the list of Trump inconsistencies. You can't miss it actually, because it's low hanging fruit that people love (and they're not necessarily wrong).

But de Blasio and Pelosi are playing hindsight police, preying on how dumb they think everyone in this country really is (and they're not necessarily wrong about that either).

The timeline is clear, but they know the sheeple live in the now.

This happening in a Presidential election year has made it all so much worse. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but man, that's some timing...

Let me be clear; I was not in any way downplaying the urgent need for a vaccine. Not even remotely. I was merely pointing out that a potential treatment for sick patients could possibly be found sooner. Both are desperately needed.

Actually, there is a very audible cry for treatments among the media, authorities, and healthcare professionals. Keep in mind that a "treatment" is generally not a cure. There are a lot of treatments being explored, both novel as well as things that are used for other diseases and could potentially have applicability for Covid 19.

What makes the quest for a vaccine so important is that it is a preventative. A treatment can help a sick person but it doesn't stop him/her from spreading the virus before treatment/hospitalization. It doesn't protect the doctors and nurses that have to treat that patient or the uninfected people who came in contact with the patient before he/she was diagnosed. It just makes sick people potentially less likely to die. A vaccine can potentially keep people from getting sick in the first place.

Could smallpox be treated? To a degree but it killed over 500 million people in the last hundred years of its existance. In the 1800's it killed hundreds of thousands of people every year. The reason it is not currently killing anyone is that we have a vaccine and the disease is now eradicated. That is why a vaccine is the ultimate goal in this case but until we get to the point where an effective one can be found, a treatment for infected patients is also extremely important.
Are you a proponent of all vaccinations all the time? I don't dispute you about the effectiveness of many vaccines...smallpox included.

But a flu shot does not eradicate the disease ...hence you have to get it every year ...and I've heard it's a crap shoot on if it's even effective preventing you from contracting it on a year-to-year basis, since the proper strands are not necessarily accounted for in any given flu shot

All you are doing is just pumping your body full of stuff without a guarantee of prevention ...and if you don't take it (like I have on many occasions) you aren't guaranteed to get the flu either.

I just don't know which way to turn on this debate. I guess if a Covid vaccine is guaranteed to work, and it won't affect your ability to have children ...or to have mutant children (exaggeration intended) I might be for it. Maybe. But could there be other potential health side effects that would make it not worth it for an otherwise healthy person?

A nationwide pandemic has nothing to do with the president of the United States?

Or do you mean people not taking the disease seriously because the president of the United States told them to not take it seriously has nothing to do with the disease spreading in the United States because people aren’t taking the disease seriously?

I’m not defending the mayor of NYC. There is a mountain of blame to go around, but I have a hard time doing the mental gymnastics necessary to take the president off the short list of people responsible for the nation’s health.

A nationwide pandemic has nothing to do with the president of the United States?

Or do you mean people not taking the disease seriously because the president of the United States told them to not take it seriously has nothing to do with the disease spreading in the United States because people aren’t taking the disease seriously?

I’m not defending the mayor of NYC. There is a mountain of blame to go around, but I have a hard time doing the mental gymnastics necessary to take the president off the short list of people responsible for the nation’s health.

The big mistake I hope people don't make when looking at this unfolding crisis is to come to the conclusion that government is the problem. No, incompetence in government is in the problem, and it goes all the way to the top. It wasn't always this way but after four decades of politicians and the public devaluing public service, what kind of talent do you think you're going to draw to it? Working for the government used to be a calling. Now it's just a career or a launching pad for a cushy career in the private sector. That's a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom