Mayors in NYC & LA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mayors in NYC & LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post your scientific studies for peer review. Your work would certainly seem to be scientifically significant.

my sample size is small (10-20) but it's all the people I know who get annual flu shots and still complain about getting the flu and then piss and moan that it was a different strain this year.

my sample size is small (10-20) but it's all the people I know who get annual flu shots and still complain about getting the flu and then piss and moan that it was a different strain this year.
I think you trust people's self diagnosis too much. I don't think alot of sick people really get the flu.

I have a grade school kid so I know a little bit.

With all due respect to people with grade school children, every federal, state and local health department in the country recommends an annual flu shot for all people. This is an unnecessary thing to be a contrarian about.

How do you not get hit by a bus on a daily basis. Your lack of basic understanding on virus transmission, herd immunity, and basic differences between flus and novel covid is stunning.

I know just fine how virus' are transmitted and herd immunity. AND I was never comparing the flu to the covid. Never did that. We were only talking about having to take a vaccine.

To answer your question, I would look both ways myself and not rely on someone telling me when to cross the street. thank you.

Last edited:
I think you trust people's self diagnosis too much. I don't think alot of sick people really get the flu.

you've lost me. people aren't guessing if they have the flu. they go get tested. But you're right about one thing - there are too many hypochondriacs in the world.

I would say in my inner work circle of perhaps 150-200 people its more like 98% get the flu shot and perhaps 2-3 get the flu to the point they miss work and even then it might not be the flu.

I know just fine how virus' are transmitted and herd immunity. AND I was never comparing the flu to the covid. Never did that. We were only talking about having to take a vaccine.

To answer your question, I would look both ways myself and not rely on someone telling when to cross the street. thank you.
Good one. Of course we have to see how this plays out and see the impact of antibody immunity and then determine how many need to be vaccinated to get to the tipping point of an acceptable level of overall protection. We have 40+ yrs of immunity levels and 30-40% vax levels and we still lose 20-30K a year.
My guess is people would line up for the Covid vaccine in the 70-80% levels. Could be wrong but even if you and your non-vaxers choose to not get it we'll be ok. Thanks for the help.

With all due respect to people with grade school children, every federal, state and local health department in the country recommends an annual flu shot for all people. This is an unnecessary thing to be a contrarian about.

I know far more people who don't get them as who do. $$o what ?

If the governor thinks he can keep people pent up in small apartments in NYC for another month without the place going off the rails, he's playing a crazy game. That place could come unglued.

Good one. Of course we have to see how this plays out and see the impact of antibody immunity and then determine how many need to be vaccinated to get to the tipping point of an acceptable level of overall protection. We have 40+ yrs of immunity levels and 30-40% vax levels and we still lose 20-30K a year.
My guess is people would line up for the Covid vaccine in the 70-80% levels. Could be wrong but even if you and your non-vaxers choose to not get it we'll be ok. Thanks for the help.

If you were as smart as you think you would have seen that I wrote that I'm NOT an anti-vaxer. So because I don't get a flu shot I'm a non-vaxer?

The original conversation started out that some of us believe we'd be better off with better treatment and not necessarily a rush to produce a vaccine. the rush should be to find better treatment.

Last edited:
If you were as smart as you think you would have seen that I wrote that I'm NOT a non-vaxer. So because I don't get a flu shot I'm a non-vaxer?

The original conversation started out that some of us believe we'd be better off with better treatment and not necessarily a rush to produce a vaccine. the rush should be to find better treatment.
I don't know if I believe you or not. Anyway. We've got alot of people working on all aspects of treatment.
We've got to solve this before anything really matters in society anyway. All hands on deck
So please don't worry that the world is only working on covid vaccines' and not working on any thing else that would help.

I would say in my inner work circle of perhaps 150-200 people its more like 98% get the flu shot and perhaps 2-3 get the flu to the point they miss work and even then it might not be the flu.

for me it's the opposite. Office of 400 have an annual free flu shot day and maybe 10% take advantage. That's not to say others don't go to walgreens or the health center but just my observations. I'd bet the national average is less than 50%.

Are you a proponent of all vaccinations all the time? I don't dispute you about the effectiveness of many vaccines...smallpox included.

But a flu shot does not eradicate the disease ...hence you have to get it every year ...and I've heard it's a crap shoot on if it's even effective preventing you from contracting it on a year-to-year basis, since the proper strands are not necessarily accounted for in any given flu shot

All you are doing is just pumping your body full of stuff without a guarantee of prevention ...and if you don't take it (like I have on many occasions) you aren't guaranteed to get the flu either.

I just don't know which way to turn on this debate. I guess if a Covid vaccine is guaranteed to work, and it won't affect your ability to have children ...or to have mutant children (exaggeration intended) I might be for it. Maybe. But could there be other potential health side effects that would make it not worth it for an otherwise healthy person?
The flu is a mutating virus and this may yet prove to be as well (there's a reason it's being called COVID-19 or SARS-2, it has had earlier similar virus iterations, and yes I know the 19 is the year, not the iteration). We know so much about the influenza virus at this point as we have been studying it for over 100 years. This one, we know VERY little about comparatively. As to the ability to have kids or be a mutant, well that is a very real threat and why these things typically take a long time to be approved. One of the more well known examples is the largely global approved, but not FDA approved morning sickness drug thalidomide. The stringent testing requirements of the FDA lengthen the process, adds cost to drugs, and requires animal testing, but protects us from incidents like this.

I don't know if I believe you or not. Anyway. We've got alot of people working on all aspects of treatment.
We've got to solve this before anything really matters in society anyway. All hands on deck
So please don't worry that the world is only working on covid vaccines' and not working on any thing else that would help.

I won't lose any sleep wondering what you think.

they gave out over 160 million shots last yr. so 50/50 and from that some just cant get it or have a demographic its not good for. its probably more like 60-70% for people who could get it, do.

so half the population is helping control the spread of the rest..

Dont recall things like 20 people in a single nursing home dieing from the flu though?

I won't lose any sleep wondering what you think.
Ouch you hurt my feelings. I thought during this time we should be nice to people.
I hope you not only lose sleep but have a nightmare, and have a poor night's sleep because of it,
along with some mild sleep apena and heartburn. :)

Wait til your kids get older, every squirming boy is an overworked teacher away from wanting every boy to get loaded up with ridalin (sp). I get the concern for slipperly slope, these aren't their kids, they just want them managed.

They have also been wrong about things they've recommended in the past. Our local school district recommended Lunchables as a healthy choice for kids' lunches. I went apes***t. Federal agencies have also at various times said all fat is unhealthy, milk is unhealthy, eggs raise cholesterol levels leading to heart disease. My point is they get things wrong all the time, so we shouldn't just take the government's word for it.

NYC doesn't have any NFL teams. The Rams and Chargers stadium is in Englewood. Not that it means they will play, just that it wouldn't be up to the mayors of those two cities.
Governors will overrule that in a heartbeat.

That's not what I was saying.

Trump will have to live and/or die with his handling of things.

But I'll just say that I'm a bit of China's government conspiracy theorist on this. I know that makes me a raging racist in today's world, I'll have to live with that one.
Sources Are saying that the virus originally was naturally occurring being studied in a lab 2 miles from the wet markets that are being blamed.

Shoddy oversight and practices let the virus out on patient zero and here we are. Even the UK and other countries are saying it. China tried to cover it up by cleaning the facility and "disappearing" the whistleblowers. Three of which haven't been seen since January.

Publicly our leaders are saying inconclusive but they know and I think the US and other countries drop the hammer on China when this is all over.

I had a chat with some DR type people who were in Asia in the summer and there was talk of a flu like thing going around that they couldnt identify or treat, so that was 5-6 months before most of this hit.

Sources Are saying that the virus originally was naturally occurring being studied in a lab 2 miles from the wet markets that are being blamed.

Shoddy oversight and practices let the virus out on patient zero and here we are. Even the UK and other countries are saying it. China tried to cover it up by cleaning the facility and "disappearing" the whistleblowers. Three of which haven't been seen since January.

Publicly our leaders are saying inconclusive but they know and I think the US and other countries drop the hammer on China when this is all over.
It is hard to believe this got out by accident. These are the most advanced labs in the world and I'm sure the methodology for working with these pathogens is very rigorous. The people and generals who oversee these labs know the danger they are dealing with.

they gave out over 160 million shots last yr. so 50/50 and from that some just cant get it or have a demographic its not good for. its probably more like 60-70% for people who could get it, do.

so half the population is helping control the spread of the rest..

Dont recall things like 20 people in a single nursing home dieing from the flu though?

dude I have never compared the flu to the seriousness of covid. never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom