Mayors in NYC & LA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mayors in NYC & LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty easy to find the list of Trump inconsistencies. You can't miss it actually, because it's low hanging fruit that people love (and they're not necessarily wrong).

But de Blasio and Pelosi are playing hindsight police, preying on how dumb they think everyone in this country really is (and they're not necessarily wrong about that either).

The timeline is clear, but they know the sheeple live in the now.

This happening in a Presidential election year has made it all so much worse. I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but man, that's some timing...
I don’t know. I figured it out in January.

Was Trump absolutely correct in shutting down travel from China? Resoundingly yes, and those who opposed him (mostly on the left - Pelosi, Biden, etc.) were very wrong. So to that extent, yes, history should be tempered by the reality that there are very few saints. But trying to paint this pandemic as electioneering or trying manufacture a timeline where Trump was just a guy in a crowd isn’t intellectually honest. The President carries a special power, and his viewpoint was absolutely and outlier from others in a very negative way. The 33,397 Americans who died due to COVID aren’t faking it to change an election, and they didn’t purposely contract the disease, either.

We saw what happened in China, Iran, South Korea, Italy, Spain (to a lesser extent), and France (to a lesser extent), and we saw how they reacted. We knew what was coming, and he absolutely did downplay the threat with hopes that it would disappear by some miracle.

I don’t know. I figured it out in January.

Was Trump absolutely correct in shutting down travel from China? Resoundingly yes, and those who opposed him (mostly on the left - Pelosi, Biden, etc.) were very wrong. So to that extent, yes, history should be tempered by the reality that there are very few saints. But trying to paint this pandemic as electioneering or trying manufacture a timeline where Trump was just a guy in a crowd isn’t intellectually honest. The President carries a special power, and his viewpoint was absolutely and outlier from others in a very negative way. The 33,397 Americans who died due to COVID aren’t faking it to change an election, and they didn’t purposely contract the disease, either.

We saw what happened in China, Iran, South Korea, Italy, Spain (to a lesser extent), and France (to a lesser extent), and we saw how they reacted. We knew what was coming, and he absolutely did downplay the threat with hopes that it would disappear by some miracle.

That's not what I was saying.

Trump will have to live and/or die with his handling of things.

But I'll just say that I'm a bit of China's government conspiracy theorist on this. I know that makes me a raging racist in today's world, I'll have to live with that one.

Why don't the mayors of NY and LA come out and tell all their affluent friends that there will be no theater, no Met, no Kennedy center no Hollywood openings and other such things? Why do the take so much pleasure at gaslighting the average people? No fancy restaurants no society gathings of any kind. Are people in NY high rises having get togethers, and if so, why aren't the police going into those buildings and arresting people?

Why don't the mayors of NY and LA come out and tell all their affluent friends that there will be no theater, no Met, no Kennedy center no Hollywood openings and other such things? Why do the take so much pleasure at gaslighting the average people? No fancy restaurants no society gathings of any kind. Are people in NY high rises having get togethers, and if so, why aren't the police going into those buildings and arresting people?
At this point, there is no theatre, no Met, no Kennedy Center, etc., and no indication that there will be any time soon. What's your beef?

At this point, there is no theatre, no Met, no Kennedy Center, etc., and no indication that there will be any time soon. What's your beef?
Why doesn't he come out and say that to further depress those people? Here's another "beef" I have, why are the numbers of deaths in just a few area's so skewed from the average. So much so that it changes the whole baseline. They can keep things closed for as long as they like, but as we've seen from the onset, it takes very few cases to reignite the infections again.

I've never had a flu shot and I've only ever had the flu twice in the last 20 years.

But you may have given it to someone else. Again, the flu is dangerous to the at risk population; under 10 and over 60 or those with pre-existing conditions. Vaccines are as much to protect the people you interact with as to protect you.

You probably had a flu shot when you were a kid. Your kids can't attend school in most places without being vaccinated. If kids in elementary schools weren't vaccinated influenza would annually kill ten times as many people as it does currently.

Can't have life and society living in fear till the end of time. Gonna have to return to a normal. In this case having sports return fully with fans in attendence. I'm sure there will be a large section who won't go till there is some type of vacacine which is their perogative. But those like me will be there not gonna live my life in fear only have one chance at life.

1587061382422.png

But you may have given it to someone else. Again, the flu is dangerous to the at risk population; under 10 and over 60 or those with pre-existing conditions. Vaccines are as much to protect the people you interact with as to protect you.

You probably had a flu shot when you were a kid. Your kids can't attend school in most places without being vaccinated. If kids in elementary schools weren't vaccinated influenza would annually kill ten times as many people as it does currently.

No not true at all. Having a flu shot wouldn't prevent me from spreading the flu. And kids do not have to have a mandatory flu shot. It's not a requirement for school.

I'm not an anti vaxer. I get a tetnus shot, but I'm not going to get vaccinated for things that are A) not proven and B) don't protect you or C) side effects are not worth it. Getting a flu shot is total crap, half the people I know who get flu shots still get the flu.

Last edited:
A nationwide pandemic has nothing to do with the president of the United States?

Or do you mean people not taking the disease seriously because the president of the United States told them to not take it seriously has nothing to do with the disease spreading in the United States because people aren’t taking the disease seriously?

I’m not defending the mayor of NYC. There is a mountain of blame to go around, but I have a hard time doing the mental gymnastics necessary to take the president off the short list of people responsible for the nation’s health.

No it doesn't. The only thing that could've helped mitigate the spread early on was the immediate and complete shutdown of international travel. But it wouldn't have mattered because it was already here. The Chernobyl that is NYC is 100% on DeBlasio and it's residents.

Last edited:
Right on Cue. Just as I was saying albiet small group of protesters for now.

The people will only take this for so long. There is a happy medium somewhere.

There's an article out of Raleigh that cops arrested some protesters for a violation of the governors executive stay at home order. They were in Raleigh to protest the stay-at-home order. The cops tweeted out that "protesting was a non-essential activity."

It's a blatant first amendment constitutional rights violation. How long do you think that's going to be tolerated by the people.

Last edited:
much of the flu shot is to get it but not as severe either.. this isnt the flu.. whens the last time the hospital in NY was overwhelmed by the flu to the point they had no equipment and DRs were dieing?

that wasn't the point.

Right on Cue. Just as I was saying albiet small group of protesters for now.

The people will only take this for so long. There is a happy medium somewhere.

Thank you for the thoughtful take, Brenda.

“It’s time for our state to be opened up. I’m tired of not being able to buy the things we need, go to the hair dressers, get our hair done,” one Michigan protester, Brenda Esman, told Fox News.

No not true at all. Having a flu shot wouldn't prevent me from spreading the flu. And kids do not have to have a mandatory flu shot. It's not a requirement for school.

I'm not an anti vaxer. I get a tetnus shot, but I'm not going to get vaccinated for things that are A) not proven and B) don't protect you or C) side effects are not worth it. Getting a flu shot is total crap, half the people I know who get flu shots still get the flu.

You are correct. NY State requires kids to have the following vaccines to attend.
  • Diphtheria and Tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and Pertussis vaccine (Dtap/DTP/Tdap)
  • Hepatitis B vaccine
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine (MMR)
  • Polio vaccine (IPV/OPV)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine
  • Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY)
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (HiB)
  • Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine (PCV)
My bad. I apologize.

The good news is Pelosi got the Kennedy Center 25MM and held the stimulus approval up for days and now is raging at Trump for holding up checks a few hours.

I wonder how many people DeBlasio killed after telling all NYCers to go to Chinatown and party??

Can't have life and society living in fear till the end of time. Gonna have to return to a normal. In this case having sports return fully with fans in attendence. I'm sure there will be a large section who won't go till there is some type of vacacine which is their perogative. But those like me will be there not gonna live my life in fear only have one chance at life.
I don't think you'll have that chance to make that choice. With the high percentages of transmission and death that wouldn't be called normal would it. What we do forget is that almost every available top mind and company is working on this, so it's not an either or choice. We can slowly work through this so there will come a time that day will come. When? no one knows quite yet.

Much like if 50% less people get the flu to spread it you flatten the curve, this is why they need to decide if getting this virus will slow down the 2nd wave.. Do 10% have it or 25 or 50% and does that mean less chance the 2nd time.

Getting a flu shot can decrease your likelihood of getting the flu, and/or most importantly will mitigate the severity of the flu if you do get it. It's definitely not "total crap."

Maybe or maybe not. To me it's a coin flip. For a typically healthy person I'd say no. For underlying pre-existing conditions I'd probably recommend it. But define mitigate the severity? That's a nice buzzword that I don't think can really be proven out.

The bottom line is this. If you want to get the flu shot to protect yourself that's your choice. Its not a shot that should be forced on people though and I'll feel the same as any future covid19 vaccine.

You are correct. NY State requires kids to have the following vaccines to attend.
  • Diphtheria and Tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and Pertussis vaccine (Dtap/DTP/Tdap)
  • Hepatitis B vaccine
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine (MMR)
  • Polio vaccine (IPV/OPV)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine
  • Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY)
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (HiB)
  • Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine (PCV)
My bad. I apologize.

I have a grade school kid so I know a little bit. I also have a teenager that had to have a flu shot until he was 5 because of a pre-existing condition. NYS is going to try and push a mandatory HPV vaccine on kids to enter school and I do believe that vaccine is completely unnecessary and I'll refuse it and hire lawyers if I have to.

Maybe or maybe not. To me it's a coin flip. For a typically healthy person I'd say no. For underlying pre-existing conditions I'd probably recommend it. But define mitigate the severity? That's a nice buzzword that I don't think can really be proven out.

The bottom line is this. If you want to get the flu shot to protect yourself that's your choice. Its not a shot that should be forced on people though and I'll feel the same as any future covid19 vaccine.
How do you not get hit by a bus on a daily basis. Your lack of basic understanding on virus transmission, herd immunity, and basic differences between flus and novel covid is stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom