More shots for Lydon, less for Cooney | Syracusefan.com

More shots for Lydon, less for Cooney

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Would greatly help our FG %. Need to have Trevor be more selective to be really good. That is all.

Part of why Lydon has been so effective is because he isn't forcing anything (except for his up and under 3 pointer as the shot clock was expiring). Cooney is a chucker, it's what he is its how he finds his rhythm throughout a game at this point.

If you want to reign in a shooter, it should be Richardson he takes 3+ terrible, early in the shot clock threes each game. When he takes good shots in rhythm, dear god is he a deadeye shooter.

Last edited:
If you watch the replay and you will even here bilas mention it a couple times, cooney does a nice job of playing the odds with the volume of shots he takes. What i mean by that is if roberson or coleman are in position for an offensive board he will take that shot playing the odds it is likely they get 2 or keep possession at the worst. He does not often take contested 3s when there is no one under the hoops. It is something probably a few of us have missed given the camera angles don't always show it unless you watch for it on replay.

I think we are all excited to see Tyler participate more as he develops and gets a greater feel for the college game. I am having a real hard time being critical of Cooney's game right now. The team is doing a good job of sharing the ball and taking the open shot.

Last edited:
I love Cooney's defense and effort and he is a very good player, but I think the amount of shots he misses (I don't know the stats offhand) could limit how far we can go. Want him to shoot and need him to shoot, just not force covered 3's early in the shot clock. Lydon is such an unbelieveable shooter, actually similar to Cooney at the beginning of his sophomore (?) year, where you are surprised whenever he misses a shot.

Last edited:
last yr since there were limited other options, he started forcing shots...leading to a low FG%. reminded me of GMac in his Sr yr. the difference is this yr, there are other options such as Gbinije and Malachi. I agree with the overall sentiment with the post, whether its lydon, roberson or who ever...i think cooney needs to stop taking forced shots.

If you watch the replay and you will even here bilas mention it a couple times, cooney does a nice job of playing the odds with the volume of shots he takes. What i mean by that is if roberson or coleman are in position for an offensive board he will take that shot playing the odds it is likely they get 2 or keep possession at the worst. He does not often take contested 3s when there is no one under the hoops. It is something probably a few of us have missed given the camera angles don't always show it unless you watch for it on replay.
For goddssakes. This is reaching. A simple pass would have better odds.

Cooley is a chucker with passionate defenders. I'm happy to see he is doing more this season so far, but he's still a chucker.

For goddssakes. This is reaching.

LOL!!! It's funny. And true!!! I thought everyone would be happy that the team is 6-0 and just played three straight days of pretty good ball with basically a line up of 5.5 guys. This team is never going to be perfect but hopefully what has worked so far will continue to work. Taking one piece out of the puzzle could make a huge difference.

For goddssakes. This is reaching. A simple pass would have better odds.

Cooley is a chucker with passionate defenders. I'm happy to see he is doing more this season so far, but he's still a chucker.
I guess you must have missed him driving to the hoop and drawing fouls multiple times in this tournament. He finally is not the only shooter on this team, which is allowing him to drive inside along with everybody else on the perimeter . This is a good sign in many ways. It's freaking textbook.

I guess you must have missed him driving to the hoop and drawing fouls multiple times in this tournament. He finally is not the only shooter on this team, which is allowing him to drive inside along with everybody else on the perimeter . This is a good sign in many ways. It's freaking textbook.
I'm referring to the idea that coney is choosing his 3PA based on who can get the rebound. He is driving more and he is passing more. Both good things. Hes still a chucker when it comes to 3s and he shouldn't be leading the team in FGAs.

Yeah, cusetown, that's my take too this year. Cooney is more important to the team in the half court driving to the hoop and either drawing fouls or making an occasional layup. Imho he should take 1/4 of the team's threes. No more ( unless it's another ND night). With a faked three, so he gets his defender to jump, he should have time to blow by most defenders.

Cooney doesn't need to be more selective. I could see the argument that Lydon should pop off some more 3's, but Cooney's shot selection has been fine this season. He's not shooting a good percentage, but 32% isn't bad either. He's missing some open ones and taking very few excessively deep or contested ones. Everybody on this team should just keep doing what they're doing because it's working.

edit: I was referencing his 3-point shooting percentage, in case that was not clear. We're obviously not talking about his layups being bad shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gif

How soon people forget the difference between Jr CJ Fair taking shots as the third option than Sr. CJ Fair being the center of the offense.

Let Lydon grow into the role, let the team keep doing what they're doing. If it's broken down the road, fix it. The last think we need is a freshman doing more than he's supposed to and forcing him into a role nobody is sure he can handle. There's a reason to his success, and part of it is the other 4 guys on the court with him.

I think his shot selection is from bad habits from previous years

My thoughts also. When he's your primary option for a whole season it make take more than 7 games to undo last year's habits. I think he was pretty good the last 2 games. I think TC is not our primary problem this season. I think all the other players besides G and TC are going to make mistakes we can criticize. Really Kaleb Joseph or Franklin Howard are going to be the new Cooney. Or maybe Cooney is still the object of a lot of criticism just out of habit.

Cooney doesn't need to be more selective. I could see the argument that Lydon should pop off some more 3's, but Cooney's shot selection has been fine this season. He's not shooting a good percentage, but 32% isn't bad either. He's missing some open ones and taking very few excessively deep or contested ones. Everybody on this team should just keep doing what they're doing because it's working.

Less than 36% from the field ain't good

Lydon passes up good shots now in the offense. He isn't there yet in terms of being "the go-to-guy", imho.

Let him continue to grow. Maybe by January and February, he'll get there.

Cheers,
Neil

Lydon passes up good shots now in the offense. He isn't there yet in terms of being "the go-to-guy", imho.

Let him continue to grow. Maybe by January and February, he'll get there.

Cheers,
Neil

When February rolls around he's going to be unstoppable.

How soon people forget the difference between Jr CJ Fair taking shots as the third option than Sr. CJ Fair being the center of the offense.

Let Lydon grow into the role, let the team keep doing what they're doing. If it's broken down the road, fix it. The last think we need is a freshman doing more than he's supposed to and forcing him into a role nobody is sure he can handle. There's a reason to his success, and part of it is the other 4 guys on the court with him.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2016.html

Field goal attempts per 40 minutes through 6 games:
Cooney 13.6
Gbinije 13.2
Richardson 11.6
Roberson 9.5
Lydon 8.6
Joseph 8.6
Coleman 7.2

Nothing to see here.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2016.html
Field goal attempts per 40 minutes:
Cooney 13.6
Gbinije 13.2
Richardson 11.6
Roberson 9.5
Lydon 8.6
Joseph 8.6
Coleman 7.2

Ehhhhh, he probably should shoot more than he is I guess. Didn't know the numbers off hand. But I think a lot of his success is that his 8.6 per 40 is part of his excellent shooting selection. He goes to high on that list his percentages drop. Only person I'd like to see him leapfrog on that list is Roberson.

Ehhhhh, he probably should shoot more than he is I guess. Didn't know the numbers off hand. But I think a lot of his success is that his 8.6 per 40 is part of his excellent shooting selection. He goes to high on that list his percentages drop. Only person I'd like to see him leapfrog on that list is Roberson.
I'm sure his number will increase over time, but the offense isn't designed to feature him at this point. At any rate, the distribution of shots is far more balanced than many believe, with the front court players getting their share by virtue of their offensive rebounding and/or in transition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom