Moyer | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going against the medical staff. That's what you said. The implication being that the medical staff said you are perfectly fine and must play as you have signed a contract to play basketball here.

That's just not the way medical people work. Ever. I wish some of the docs would jump in here and explain it better.

I can only speak for myself, and I don’t cover college teams, let alone P6 teams.

My criteria for returning to sport are very strict.

I can only speak for myself, and I don’t cover college teams, let alone P6 teams.

My criteria for returning to sport are very strict.

Such as...

Going against the medical staff. That's what you said. The implication being that the medical staff said you are perfectly fine and must play as you have signed a contract to play basketball here.

That's just not the way medical people work. Ever. I wish some of the docs would jump in here and explain it better.
Give it a go, and you are perfectly fine because you signed a contract are two completely different things. I'm very familiar with exactly how the process works, and if Boeheim expected him to play, it's because the medical staff told him that he could play. Boeheim would go to the med staff to get updates on Moyer, not Moyer.

And how is that different from what I've said previously? The implication is that he can play, that's it. You can turn it into a straw man all you want, but it's obvious they feel he's healthy enough to play.

So, the kid practices 2 days. Talks to the folks. Says the ankle really hurts and its not getting better. Parents say that he should tell the coach or medical. Kid says, I can't, the team needs me. Folks step in to protect the kid from himself.

No one give JB the background. He says what he knows at the PC.

Yep.

And how is that different from what I've said previously? The implication is that he can play, that's it. You can turn it into a straw man all you want, but it's obvious they feel he's healthy enough to play.

Medical staffs will clear them to play if they can't injure themselves further. The running back from Stanford is perfect example...he had an injury and you could tell he was in pain, but was cleared to play because he couldn't cause further injury...actually I believe he had the same thing, a high ankle sprain. Medical staffs will not clear them if they can further hurt themselves, but if they can't hurt themselves further it is up to the player how much pain they can tolerate.

I think Capt Tuttle is correct.

I'm sure this will have been said already, but good for your dad. And welcome to 2018.
Saying my kid is going to start or else is dictating about the team to the coach. Protecting your kid from himself is part of being a parent. (Or at least getting your kid to understand the situation to make a decision not based upon emotion.) Two totally different things.

Saying my kid is going to start or else is dictating about the team to the coach. Protecting your kid from himself is part of being a parent. (Or at least getting your kid to understand the situation to make a decision not based upon emotion.) Two totally different things.

No it isn't. They are one in the same. The fact that his father had left Ohio to come to Syracuse says that it is. You don't think Boeheim would have thrown Sidibe out there if he could have? The only reason he's playing now despite him needing surgery at some point is because the medical staff allowed it.

If people keep drilling deeper on this subject, the outcome will become less desirable.

i believe that was t. boone pickens. (no relation)
and i stand by my original post that a short bench would indeed influence decisions on a player's readiness. you might not like it but it's a reality.
(and yes we have had past issues about keeping players eligible and on the court)

Last edited:
Either way, the photo is over two weeks old.

Yes and it looks like something that you recover from right away.

I'm assuming you've never had something like that happen to you, I have and I'm telling you it doesn't feel good and takes time to recover from. From JBs own mouth and Moyers PT he hasn't been resting it which he absolutely needs to.

The attacks and questioning this kid is disgusting while defending an old man who doesn't like to hold back his words like a child.

I'm assuming you've never had something like that happen to you, I have and I'm telling you it doesn't feel good and takes time to recover from. From JBs own mouth and Moyers PT he hasn't been resting it which he absolutely needs to.

The attacks and questioning this kid is disgusting while defending an old man who doesn't like to hold back his words like a child.

Brutal...though not inaccurate.

Another Boeheim hater, and they get so upset if you defend him.

I've had my share of sprains and breaks. Everyone heals differently. Without seeing a current photo, none of us can really say where he's at with the recovery process. The medical staff knows, though.

In case it hasn't been clear, I'm not questioning or attacking Moyer at all. Not in the slightest. His toughness should be apparent to everyone at this point, as well as his willingness to do whatever it takes to help this team.

in my particular case the sprain in my right led me into a severe strain in the left ankle. mr. icy hot gimp at 21. hightops before they were cool.

Last edited:
Medical staffs will clear them to play if they can't injure themselves further. The running back from Stanford is perfect example...he had an injury and you could tell he was in pain, but was cleared to play because he couldn't cause further injury...actually I believe he had the same thing, a high ankle sprain. Medical staffs will not clear them if they can further hurt themselves, but if they can't hurt themselves further it is up to the player how much pain they can tolerate.

I think Capt Tuttle is correct.
I think some of what he said is probably correct, but not all of it. I believe Moyer doesn’t mind the pain and wants to keep playing. His mom’s interview appears to support that theory. The concern is coming from her and her husband. They stepped in, as some of you have said, to save Moyer from himself.

I've had my share of sprains and breaks. Everyone heals differently. Without seeing a current photo, none of us can really say where he's at with the recovery process. The medical staff knows, though.

In case it hasn't been clear, I'm not questioning or attacking Moyer at all. Not in the slightest. His toughness should be apparent to everyone at this point, as well as his willingness to do whatever it takes to help this team.

And my aggravation with you was more directed at the language many on here have been using. I didn't mean to come at you like I did, but you were just the most recent.

Hope the kid feels better quickly. And this issue goes away.

And my aggravation with you was more directed at the language many on here have been using. I didn't mean to come at you like I did, but you were just the most recent.

Hope the kid feels better quickly. And this issue goes away.
It’s all good, don’t worry about it.

I'm not minimizing anything you're saying, but a picture doesn't always paint a thousand words. I know this from my own personal experience. I had an injury once where the bruising made it appear far worse than it actually was. Some people bruise a lot easier than others, maybe thinner blood, etc., but who knows. I don't think one can categorize the significance of one's injury or pain tolerance simply by the appearance alone. Again, I'm not minimizing as I have no idea, or do others, the degree of Matt's pain and/or tolerance.

On a related aside, I'll admit that I find it a bit peculiar that he was in a boot on Sunday and couldn't play a wink, but yet approximately 24 hours later a full go at practice. That, to me, seems to be a pain tolerance issue.

The people who comment after syracuse.com articles are laughing at this shoddily constructed straw man.

Dude people are complex. They have flaws. Even our heroes. You can dislike those flaws (passionately even!) and still like 95 percent of that person.
Please look up the definition of the term “straw man” argument so that you can stop using it incorrectly.

And I can’t imagine a person disliking 5% of someone passionately and not have it spill over to the other 95%. It sounds like a construct you set up for the sole purpose of justifying your criticism of Boeheim. As in “Well, I said I liked 95% of the guy so now I have license to say whatever I feel like.”

I'm not minimizing anything you're saying, but a picture doesn't always paint a thousand words. I know this from my own personal experience. I had an injury once where the bruising made it appear far worse than it actually was. Some people bruise a lot easier than others, maybe thinner blood, etc., but who knows. I don't think one can categorize the significance of one's injury or pain tolerance simply by the appearance alone. Again, I'm not minimizing as I have no idea, or do others, the degree of Matt's pain and/or tolerance.

On a related aside, I'll admit that I find it a bit peculiar that he was in a boot on Sunday and couldn't play a wink, but yet approximately 24 hours later a full go at practice. That, to me, seems to be a pain tolerance issue.

Did he actually have a full go at practice? That's not what I read. I read he was participating in pre-practice shooting, but then the reporters get booted (for lack of a better term) out of there and they didn't know to what level he participated.

Please look up the definition of the term “straw man” argument so that you can stop using it incorrectly.

And I can’t imagine a person disliking 5% of someone passionately and not have it spill over to the other 95%. It sounds like a construct you set up for the sole purpose of justifying your criticism of Boeheim. As in “Well, I said I liked 95% of the guy so now I have license to say whatever I feel like.”

It's a fan forum. He has license to say pretty much whatever he feels like, as long as he doesn't break any of the rules here, regardless of whether you approve or not. If you have a problem with that, then maybe it's you who has the problem and not Doc Celuck.

Or a parent tolerance issue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors