Naes Howard | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Naes Howard

Really glad Scissum is going to be okay. First year law student, really curious to find out how this isn't attempted murder. With the amount of times Howard stabbed them, where he stabbed them, and with (seemingly) intent, it seems like a sure fire attempted murder. I know sometimes they get charged with a lesser crime to ensure a conviction. Either way, this kid has some serious mental problems and family issues. His dad used to work for my aunt but had to be let go for some pretty strange and outrageous conduct. Couple family issues, with what seems like some pretty obvious mental health concerns, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. I hope Howard, not only gets the punishment he deserves, but the proper mental health treatment. The justice system needs to get better at addressing mental health concerns because, eventually, people like Howard will be released back into our community.

Other than killing another person, First Degree Assault, pursuant to New York Penal Law 120.10, is the most serious crime found within the pages of the New York criminal code. A “violent crime” by definition, a sentence and punishment for this offense is minimally five years in a New York State prison. In fact, even without a criminal record, an arrest and ultimate conviction for Assault in the First Degree can result in as much as 25 years in jail.

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:

1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument;  or

2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently, or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his body, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person;  or

3. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another person;  or

4. In the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted commission of a felony or of immediate flight therefrom, he, or another participant if there be any, causes serious physical injury to a person other than one of the participants.

Assault in the first degree is a class B felony.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-120-10.html

Other than killing another person, First Degree Assault, pursuant to New York Penal Law 120.10, is the most serious crime found within the pages of the New York criminal code. A “violent crime” by definition, a sentence and punishment for this offense is minimally five years in a New York State prison. In fact, even without a criminal record, an arrest and ultimate conviction for Assault in the First Degree can result in as much as 25 years in jail.

A person is guilty of assault in the first degree when:

1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument;  or

2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently, or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his body, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person;  or

3. Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to another person;  or

4. In the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempted commission of a felony or of immediate flight therefrom, he, or another participant if there be any, causes serious physical injury to a person other than one of the participants.

Assault in the first degree is a class B felony.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-120-10.html

Ahhh, good! thank you. Haven't really learned about criminal law yet.

Really glad Scissum is going to be okay. First year law student, really curious to find out how this isn't attempted murder. With the amount of times Howard stabbed them, where he stabbed them, and with (seemingly) intent, it seems like a sure fire attempted murder. I know sometimes they get charged with a lesser crime to ensure a conviction. Either way, this kid has some serious mental problems and family issues. His dad used to work for my aunt but had to be let go for some pretty strange and outrageous conduct. Couple family issues, with what seems like some pretty obvious mental health concerns, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. I hope Howard, not only gets the punishment he deserves, but the proper mental health treatment. The justice system needs to get better at addressing mental health concerns because, eventually, people like Howard will be released back into our community.
Get out now, while you still can!

Regarding your question, to get an attempted murder conviction, you have to prove that Howard intended to actually kill the victims (or act with depraved indifference to human life), and not merely stab, harm, teach a lesson to, whatever. That is hard to prove in a case like this in the absence of some kind of confession given that, if I'm remembering correctly, Howard used a pocket knife. That isn't to say a pocket knife isn't capable of killing someone (it certainly is), but as it goes to state of mind, it points more toward Howard going there to threaten/stab/hurt but not necessarily kill. Or, more accurately, Howard could claim he wasn't going there to kill and the State wouldn't have anything (based on known facts, I'm not privy to the case file obviously) to rebut that, and certainly not beyond a reasonable doubt. Had Howard shown up with a gun, shot the victim 4 times, but hit only nonvital areas, it would be a lot harder for Howard to claim he wasn't trying to kill, he was just using expertly placed gunshots to inflict pain. (do you see what I'm getting at?)

Now, had Howard gone there intending to stab someone and the victim died, it could be charged as murder (regardless of whether or not he intended to kill) based on the felony murder doctrine (you'll get to this in Crim Law, but essentially, if you are committing a felony, and in the course of doing so somebody is killed, regardless of whether or not you intended it, you are on the hook for murder).

***edited, as I inexplicably mixed up the names of the victim and perp

Last edited:
leftytg said:
Get out now, while you still can! Regarding your question, to get an attempted murder conviction, you have to prove that Scissum intended to actually kill the victims (or act with depraved indifference to human life), and not merely stab, harm, teach a lesson to, whatever. That is hard to prove in a case like this in the absence of some kind of confession given that, if I'm remembering correctly, Scissum used a pocket knife. That isn't to say a pocket knife isn't capable of killing someone (it certainly is), but as it goes to state of mind, it points more toward Scissum going there to threaten/stab/hurt but not necessarily kill. Or, more accurately, Scissum could claim he wasn't going there to kill and the State wouldn't have anything (based on known facts, I'm not privy to the case file obviously) to rebut that, and certainly not beyond a reasonable doubt. Had Scissum shown up with a gun, shot the victim 4 times, but hit only nonvital areas, it would be a lot harder for Scissum to claim he wasn't trying to kill, he was just using expertly placed gunshots to inflict pain. (do you see what I'm getting at?) Now, had Scissum gone there intending to stab someone and the victim died, it could be charged as murder (regardless of whether or not he intended to kill) based on the felony murder doctrine (you'll get to this in Crim Law, but essentially, if you are committing a felony, and in the course of doing so somebody is killed, regardless of whether or not you intended it, you are on the hook for murder).

I think you want to edit this to say Howard. Pretty big difference.

Get out now, while you still can!

Regarding your question, to get an attempted murder conviction, you have to prove that Scissum intended to actually kill the victims (or act with depraved indifference to human life), and not merely stab, harm, teach a lesson to, whatever. That is hard to prove in a case like this in the absence of some kind of confession given that, if I'm remembering correctly, Scissum used a pocket knife. That isn't to say a pocket knife isn't capable of killing someone (it certainly is), but as it goes to state of mind, it points more toward Scissum going there to threaten/stab/hurt but not necessarily kill. Or, more accurately, Scissum could claim he wasn't going there to kill and the State wouldn't have anything (based on known facts, I'm not privy to the case file obviously) to rebut that, and certainly not beyond a reasonable doubt. Had Scissum shown up with a gun, shot the victim 4 times, but hit only nonvital areas, it would be a lot harder for Scissum to claim he wasn't trying to kill, he was just using expertly placed gunshots to inflict pain. (do you see what I'm getting at?)

Now, had Scissum gone there intending to stab someone and the victim died, it could be charged as murder (regardless of whether or not he intended to kill) based on the felony murder doctrine (you'll get to this in Crim Law, but essentially, if you are committing a felony, and in the course of doing so somebody is killed, regardless of whether or not you intended it, you are on the hook for murder).

Thanks for the clarification but it was Howard not Scissum.

News channel 9 had an interview with his father and said the SU football team was bullied and hazed by his former teammates. His father said this Naesean is a good child who is a role model for the community.

News channel 9 had an interview with his father and said the SU football team was bullied and hazed by his former teammates. His father said this Naesean is a good child who is a role model for the community.

A role model?!? Unless his life was threatened, I don't see how any sort of "role model" would stab 2 people.

As a parent it sickens me when I come across delusional parents. It's one thing to defend your child, it's quite another to make excuses for their actions.

One thing I have never understood about the law is how attempted murder (assault 1?) is disciplined different than committed murder.

case 1: I tried my best to kill you but was unsuccessful - 5-25 years

case 2: I tried my best to kill you and was successful - life

Please tell me the difference in the ACTIONS/INTENT of the two cases?

TRYING to kill someone should be treated as harshly as actually killing them...

One thing I have never understood about the law is how attempted murder (assault 1?) is disciplined different than committed murder.

You do realize the outcomes of those 2 situations are just a little different, no?

Me INTENDING to bang Kate Upton, and actually doing so, are also just a little bit different. :D

How can you prove "case 1"? How do you show that the attack was intended to actually kill the victim? If you go there and fail, the perpetrator could walk. Better to go with the assault charge that's going to be much easier to prove (in this case it should be a slam dunk).

As a parent it sickens me when I come across delusional parents. It's one thing to defend your child, it's quite another to make excuses for their actions.
Which is why it always baffles me that they even bother to interview them. The brat could've committed serious crimes yet you always get the standard; "He's/She's a good kid...blah blah blah". Ridiculous.

"Howard was present at the cookout before the attack occurred, briefly left and returned dressed in different clothes, Manfredi said."

That's new information to me at least

"Howard was present at the cookout before the attack occurred, briefly left and returned dressed in different clothes, Manfredi said."
That could also be when he acquired the weapon.

You do realize the outcomes of those 2 situations are just a little different, no?

Me INTENDING to bang Kate Upton, and actually doing so, are also just a little bit different. :D
One would be rape, and that would be wrong.

Monday, May 16, 2016 By Keith Kobland
Access to South Campus During Summer Break

As a safety measure, access to South Campus from May 15 to Aug. 24 will only be through the welcome station on
Skytop Road off of East Colvin Street. The University Village entrance and the Jamesville Avenue entrance will be closed. Exceptions will be made for special events only.

If you see suspicious activity please contact the Department of Public Safety at 315-443-2224.

Football players came back this weekend.

Monday, May 16, 2016 By Keith Kobland
Access to South Campus During Summer Break

As a safety measure, access to South Campus from May 15 to Aug. 24 will only be through the welcome station on
Skytop Road off of East Colvin Street. The University Village entrance and the Jamesville Avenue entrance will be closed. Exceptions will be made for special events only.

If you see suspicious activity please contact the Department of Public Safety at 315-443-2224.

Football players came back this weekend.

Smart, very smart. Glad to see them being proactive in regard to protecting players.