NCAA Final Four Thread... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Final Four Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone loves to constantly complain about the quality of officiating in college basketball. They deserve to be commended for that call. That was an extremely tough one to get right in real time without the benefit of slow-mo, but they got it right.

They go from the best commercial (Mini-Soda) to the worst

Right.
Either way the ref would be determining the game.
It took me 2 or 3 replays to see it but it was definitely a foul.
Good call.

Yes, quite correct. Which was my point. The ref factors in whether he makes the call or not. It always makes me scream when I hear "The ref shouldn't decide the outcome." That's the lamest complaint going.

No it’s not. You don’t make that call in that situation. Not enough contact to blow the whistle.
If it's a foul in the first minute of the game, it's a foul in the last minute of the game. And it was a foul, clearly. In two ways. As Steratore stated, he jumped in. Then he made contact on the shooter. Clear foul. Kudos to Guy. Ice water in those veins.

Bennett gets hammered if they lose that. The difference between being considered a genius and a moron for a coach is such a thin line and is usually out of their control. That was all on the players/refs/luck in the final seconds and it worked out in his favor.

The ref determines the game if he doesn’t call it too. How many three point shooting fouls have been called this year? It’s a clear foul that caused Guy to get off balance. It definitely affected the shot.

Yes, that was my (sneaky) point. :)

Possessions:

Virginia 51 FGA - 5 O-rebs + 8 TO + .475 X 12 FTA = 59.7
Auburn 55 - 9 + 5 = .475 x 14 = 57.65

So I figure Virginia had 59 possessions and Auburn 58.

If you take out the o-rebs and turnovers ir's 56.7 (57) to 61.65 (62) in Auburn's favor.

Right.
Either way the ref would be determining the game.
It took me 2 or 3 replays to see it but it was definitely a foul.
Good call.
I’d argue that they didn’t determine the game by calling it more so than swallowing the whistle. Game over with a no call, needed to hit 3 with the whistle.

Everyone loves to constantly complain about the quality of officiating in college basketball. They deserve to be commended for that call. That was an extremely tough one to get right in real time without the benefit of slow-mo, but they got it right.

True. Game should have been over though...because they missed the double dribble. :) And that was an easy call...ref was even right behind the play.

Glad they didn't call it though - don't care for Bruce Peal.

Yes, quite correct. Which was my point. The ref factors in whether he makes the call or not. It always makes me scream when I hear "The ref shouldn't decide the outcome." That's the lamest complaint going.

They decided the outcome by not calling Jerome for the double dribble.

The shooter landed out of bounds. That's a clear "displace."

Well, you can argue that. Then what if Virginia fouls on the inbounds, they miss and Virginia goes down and score? So it didn't really decide the game, but it sure should have been called. Then we'd all have something else to argue about. :)

True. Game should have been over though...because they missed the double dribble. :) And that was an easy call...ref was even right behind the play.

Glad they didn't call it though - don't care for Bruce Peal.

I figure the ref was watching the defender.
noidea.gif

Of course it was a foul. But I'd like to see them call it in the other 5,000 games/a season where a shooter gets mugged on the last second shot. They never do.

I can see how they missed that one in real time. Plus, that is not the type of thing you see every game. The ref may have thought the defender tipped it. They’ll see the mistake when they review the film.

There were literally two refs on the play covering from each angle.

As Steratore just said, it was an unusual play and they just missed it. And as Kenny pointed out, they were looking for the foul.

Queue the NCAA conspiracy theoryists.
You better open another thread for the conspiracist.

What conspiracies would we get?
Make up for virgina from last year?
For the ACC?
The Illuminati?
Aliens?
No one likes pearl?
No one like Barkley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members