NCAA to hold Basketball tournament without fans... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to hold Basketball tournament without fans...

But it IS potentially life-threatening for older folks and people with compromised immune systems, and the more that large groups of people gather together for non-essential purposes such as sporting events, the more likely it is (maybe by orders of magnitude) for the disease to spread to these vulnerable populations. I don't want my parents to die.

Also, it is exceptionally easy for the healthcare infrastructure of local hospitals to be overwhelmed.
Thank you. Very well said.

But it IS potentially life-threatening for older folks and people with compromised immune systems, and the more that large groups of people gather together for non-essential purposes such as sporting events, the more likely it is (maybe by orders of magnitude) for the disease to spread to these vulnerable populations. I don't want my parents to die.

Also, it is exceptionally easy for the healthcare infrastructure of local hospitals to be overwhelmed.
I get that but normal flu precautions such as washing hands etc (which believe it or not for the civilized western world is a new concept these days) and taking normal flu season steps and It should be fine.

But people will still gather in large groups. That is unavoidable I think. I agree with the decision to call of crowds just don’t think it’ll do much.

But *I’M* not going to die. If I catch it I’ll just go to the gym and try to sweat it out with a good workout!

So many selfish morons when they have a cold.^^^

Hopefully at least some people will smarten up and think of somebody besides themselves from this.

But *I’M* not going to die. If I catch it I’ll just go to the gym and try to sweat it out with a good workout!

So many selfish morons when they have a cold.^^^

Hopefully at least some people will smarten up and think of somebody besides themselves from this.
Did you say something? I was taking a selfie.

It makes no sense to close anything at all, let alone to react like this, for a virus that has a potential to be only slightly worse than the flu. This is stupidity across the board ...from China to Italy to the U.S. Absolutely nuts

You would absolutely think it was The Walking Dead out here. Can't imagine what might happen if something truly serious really hit

well if you consider somewhere between 5x - 30x more deadly as being slightly worse.

I get that but normal flu precautions such as washing hands etc (which believe it or not for the civilized western world is a new concept these days) and taking normal flu season steps and It should be fine.

But people will still gather in large groups. That is unavoidable I think. I agree with the decision to call of crowds just don’t think it’ll do much.

This is a brand new virus so people have no immunity built up to it, nor are there any anti viral drugs that have been developed to work against Coronavirus yet. The mortality rate as of today is significantly higher than the seasonal flu, and lack of adequate testing is probably going to be a huge problem.

there is a huge unknown.. they have some info on how many get it and die but they dont really have hardly any info on how many really get it since so few get tested so far.

This is a brand new virus so people have no immunity built up to it, nor are there any anti viral drugs that have been developed to work against Coronavirus yet. The mortality rate as of today is significantly higher than the seasonal flu, and lack of adequate testing is probably going to be a huge problem.
I don’t disagree with your post. However, you have more faith in the public avoiding crowds than I do. See the examples in France today.

I don’t disagree with your post. However, you have more faith in the public avoiding crowds than I do. See the examples in France today.

There is a pragmatic middle ground between a) a total quarantine where everyone is confined to their homes and b) doing nothing. That middle ground is canceling non-essential events where tens of thousands of people are in one building together.

Nobody wants to get sick. Nobody. But this is way overreaction
Let's freeze this post. You're talking about a virus, not the flu and one that is 10 times worse than the flu.
We are also playing catchup which we may never win and have medical facilities overwhelmed.

As the governor of Washington said, do what is needed. If you don't you may kill your grandfather.

There is a pragmatic middle ground between a) a total quarantine where everyone is confined to their homes and b) doing nothing. That middle ground is canceling non-essential events where tens of thousands of people are in one building together.
They did that middle ground in France and it hasn’t worked. Again, I’m for cancelling the crowds... will it help? Well I suppose we will find out.

It is interesting that Emmert made this decision on his own. He never contacted any of the conferences involved.

People just don’t see the big picture. It’s the cdc job to make sure there are as few casualties as possible. This decision will probably save a few lives somewhere

I was just chatting with a close friend who lives in St. Lucia. She says there is no coronavirus there ... and virtually no discussion of it.

We have a trip planned to Bermuda next month. Still on, but we’ll see then.

We have a trip planned to Bermuda next month. Still on, but we’ll see then.
Yeah, I’m nervous enough having to rely on American health care facilities. Not sure I’d trust island nations to be prepared to deal with a pandemic.

Right, wrong, whatever. No answer to that. What this is though is crazy. No fans is wild.

This is a massive tournament and no fans regardless of reason is simply crazy stuff.