New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

Politically yes, both are more conservative than their instate sister cities. I love Syracuse and CNY but San Diego (especially near Coronado and LaJolla) is about as close to living perfection (assuming you have the money and don't have to commute more than 20 mins to work). I'm sure Cost of Living and the chance to get to the P5 was a big factor. We might only have him for a couple years...we'll see.
Totally agree with you LaJolla if I had the money would be my family's main residence. Absolutely gorgeous views and I love George's at the Cove.

If you look at his tenure at SDSU, he sure got a lot out of what he was working with. I actually really like this hire.

when you coach up numerous all conference guys, you obviously have a thing for teaching technique. I don’t care who he recruits, our offense lives and dies with the OL. Looking forward to him getting a look at what he’s working with during spring ball.

So I'm of the belief that the best recruiter isn't the best strategy for us anymore. At some point you have to face your limitations head on and build your program around them. Identify the right players and develop them. Which is why I think staff choices like this make a lot of sense.
I think it depends on the position. Coordinators, OL and QB need to be able to coach up and recruiting is a bonus. The other position coaches need to be able to recruit and coaching up is a bonus. Obviously ideal to have someone who's good at both.

Wish we brought this guy in a few years ago. Thanks, Herm-We owe you one!

Last edited:
First I see Relatability.
Then Buy-in.
All culminating in improved performance.
A face only a mother and a "big ugly down in the trenches" could love.
More excited than I care to admit.
Now imagine if we can land Greg "The Bull" Luzinski...
1613668654630.png

Hopefully Schmidt gets a chance to run them through the gauntlet this Spring assuming the off campus party didn't mess things up. Really important for him to get our oline on his wavelength asap.

If you look at his tenure at SDSU, he sure got a lot out of what he was working with. I actually really like this hire.

when you coach up numerous all conference guys, you obviously have a thing for teaching technique. I don’t care who he recruits, our offense lives and dies with the OL. Looking forward to him getting a look at what he’s working with during spring ball.

Great post.

Politically yes, both are more conservative than their instate sister cities. I love Syracuse and CNY but San Diego (especially near Coronado and LaJolla) is about as close to living perfection (assuming you have the money and don't have to commute more than 20 mins to work). I'm sure Cost of Living and the chance to get to the P5 was a big factor. We might only have him for a couple years...we'll see.
Plus, Syracuse has a climate that is a lot more comfortable for larger men

^THIS^ All great points.

We need a functional, well coached offensive line that is able to communicate during the play to have a chance in this scheme. There is no question in my mind that DBs offense needs to punish the defense when they run a light box. Otherwise, it’s too easy to defend without high end talent. We will have an indication on the very first inside zone run play. The play that has been stuffed by just about every D we have played over the last 2+ seasons including Stoney Brook.

This might be the most important hire of Dino’s tenure here. It will likely determine his fate.

My 25 mile commute home from Carlsbad to downtown SD took about 75 mins most days but I'd still take it over everywhere else I've lived and it's not particularly close. 2nd ice/sleet storm in the last week in DC is starting to make me miss Tampa a lot more than I should as well.

my kids GF is from SD.. she is still not quite sure about snow.. but she does love having seasons more than she misses the beach.

my kids GF is from SD.. she is still not quite sure about snow.. but she does love having seasons more than she misses the beach.

Those that lived there all their lives have a different perspective about trying something new, like Syracuse. Not many here have lived in those shoes.

Those, like me, who grew up in the Syracuse area, can unequivocally say that I'd take a few years living in San Diego anytime such an opportunity presented itself.

We got about 10" of snow overnite, which drifted into large snow sculptures. We're at the latitude of the southern border of Virginia, so the sun will make vast amounts of mud over the next few days. San Diego sounds pretty good right now...

It is interesting seeing how many coaching moves are happening between Syracuse, Arizona State and San Diego State.

Tony White has all 3
Dino has 2 (he coached at Arizona and Northern Arizona but never Arizona State)
Zach Arnett has all 3 (including a very brief stop at Syracuse)
Cav has 2 now.
As does Mike Schmidt.

For schools so far apart, there are a lot of coaches moving around between them.

My 25 mile commute home from Carlsbad to downtown SD took about 75 mins most days but I'd still take it over everywhere else I've lived and it's not particularly close. 2nd ice/sleet storm in the last week in DC is starting to make me miss Tampa a lot more than I should as well.
Legoland. Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom