NFL Thread - 2020 | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2020

I might be wrong and can ask my friend that works for the CDC to confirm, but my understanding was that pandemic vs epidemic isn’t about the lethality of the disease but rather the spread. So if it were downgraded from pandemic status it would be because the rest of the world has it under control but doesn’t say anything about its status in the US.
It may have been my bad reading or the way the article was written, but it seemed tied to the mortality rate (frankly, what you said makes more sense to me, but this is all new to me and I don't know the science). I think the best part is that the mortality rate is declining, and the treatments seem to be improving. IMO, this is just something we need to learn to live with, and be respectful of.

If the Patriots get Clowney on a 1 year deal. They could have the best D in the league.

I am thinking 10-6 could be in play for them this year.

If the Patriots get Clowney on a 1 year deal. They could have the best D in the league.

I am thinking 10-6 could be in play for them this year.
That’s 12-4 for those of you who still need an ‘Alsacs to reality’ patsie translation.

That’s 12-4 for those of you who still need an ‘Alsacs to reality’ patsie translation.
Schedule is too tough for 12-4. I am getting more bullish on the team’s chances this year but their schedule is just really hard.
@Seahawks
@ Rams
@ Chiefs
@ Chargers
@ Texans
49ers
Cardinals
Broncos
Raiders
Ravens
AFC East x2

It’s the hardest schedule in the league next year. Unless Cam is an MVP candidate that schedule isn’t going 12-4.

10-6 is a good season and playoff season.

Schedule is too tough for 12-4. I am getting more bullish on the team’s chances this year but their schedule is just really hard.
@Seahawks
@ Rams
@ Chiefs
@ Chargers
@ Texans
49ers
Cardinals
Broncos
Raiders
Ravens
AFC East x2

It’s the hardest schedule in the league next year. Unless Cam is an MVP candidate that schedule isn’t going 12-4.

10-6 is a good season and playoff season.

I'm trying to understand why NE's schedule is so much harder than everyone else. Eight of their opponents this upcoming season finished below .500 last year. Three opponents that did not - Seattle, LARams and Houston -are questionable. Seattle had a point differential of 7 last year. They won every close game they played, not sure how that can be duplicated. Probably won't have Clowney. Houston gave away possibly the best WR in the game. The Rams just look like they're headed in the wrong direction. Made several poor financial moves.

Why the NFL season will happen

-because NFL football is so dangerous that to claim you accept the risk of playing normally but won’t accept the nominal additional risk of playing during the pandemic is not really believable for those without precondition ..

this isn’t golf or tennis or even basketball where you can pretty much be assured you’re not going to suffer a permanently disabling injury by playing .. there the relative risks of the pandemic are a significant interval increase to baseline

In the NFL ? Please .. you can be paralyzed on any play ... so if you’re cool with that risk ...

-because NFL football is so dangerous that to claim you accept the risk of playing normally but won’t accept the nominal additional risk of playing during the pandemic is not really believable for those without precondition ..

this isn’t golf or tennis or even basketball where you can pretty much be assured you’re not going to suffer a permanently disabling injury by playing .. there the relative risks of the pandemic are a significant interval increase to baseline

In the NFL ? Please .. you can be paralyzed on any play ... so if you’re cool with that risk ...
Why the NFL season won't happen

- None of those risks to players are easily transferable to other people off of the field

- People supporting those games, and there are hundreds at every game not even counting folks who just work at the stadiums, didn't sign up for any of those risks.

But with COVID-19, you’re not only risking your own life.

Why the NFL season won't happen

- None of those risks to players are easily transferable to other people off of the field

- People supporting those games, and there are hundreds at every game not even counting folks who just work at the stadiums, didn't sign up for any of those risks.

I'd happily take the other side of that bet although I acknowledge it's not a slam dunk in terms of whether or not the NFL will play.

The NFL doesn't need fans in the stadiums to play the games. TV money dwarfs money brought in at the gate. I'm an Eagles season ticket holder. They've already asked me if I want to defer my tickets til next year so no fans are being forced to buy tickets this year. They've also telegraphed that they expect limited # of fans allowed in, if at all.

All you really need besides players are the coaching staffs, refs and a handful of sideline personnel. Ample precautions can be taken with all three to protect them. There is plenty of room on the sidelines to spread everybody out.

As for the players, for every one player that would opt out there are 100 that would be bummed if no season. These guys have very limited careers and want to make money while they can. As Steve Holt said, the statistical risks for very healthy guys in their 20s and low 30s with no pre-existing conditions are extremely low. I agree with him that they take more health risks playing this violent game than the risk to them from covid and that's not to minimize the impact of covid overall.

I'd happily take the other side of that bet although I acknowledge it's not a slam dunk in terms of whether or not the NFL will play.

The NFL doesn't need fans in the stadiums to play the games. TV money dwarfs money brought in at the gate. I'm an Eagles season ticket holder. They've already asked me if I want to defer my tickets til next year so no fans are being forced to buy tickets this year. They've also telegraphed that they expect limited # of fans allowed in, if at all.

All you really need besides players are the coaching staffs, refs and a handful of sideline personnel. Ample precautions can be taken with all three to protect them. There is plenty of room on the sidelines to spread everybody out.

As for the players, for every one player that would opt out there are 100 that would be bummed if no season. These guys have very limited careers and want to make money while they can. As Steve Holt said, the statistical risks for very healthy guys in their the 20s and low 30s with no pre-existing conditions are extremely low. I agree with him that they take more health risks playing this violent game than the risk to them from covid and that's not to minimize the impact of covid overall.
TV doesn’t happen by itself. They bring dozens of employees to each game.

I understand the age of the players means they are less likely to end up in the ICU. But unless they quarantine in hotels for both road and home games, they have the possibility of infecting their families.

TV doesn’t happen by itself. They bring dozens of employees to each game.

I understand the age of the players means they are less likely to end up in the ICU. But unless they quarantine in hotels for both road and home games, they have the possibility of infecting their families.

NBA players are quarantining so why can't the NFL?

Setting up TV personnel in an essentially empty stadium is a piece of cake. Those TV guys are nowhere near anybody on the field or sidelines.

You'd have to ask the NFL.

Gotta think we would’ve heard something by now. It’s getting late. Maybe they’re working on it but keeping it quiet until they see how the NBA works out?

But with COVID-19, you’re not only risking your own life.

let’s not act like the baseline risk of infection is zero ... most of these guys are at greater risk going to target than a controlled environment where everyone is tested coming and going

let’s not act like the baseline risk of infection is zero ... most of these guys are at greater risk going to target than a controlled environment where everyone is tested coming and going
I don't agree. At target there isn't a guy across the line of scrimmage breathing on them.

Gotta think we would’ve heard something by now. It’s getting late. Maybe they’re working on it but keeping it quiet until they see how the NBA works out?

The NFL has more financial resources than all of the other US professional sports leagues combined. I'm sure they're capable of putting in place protocols that can be helpful in reducing the risk. Never going to be able to completely eliminate the risk.

I don't agree. At target there isn't a guy across the line of scrimmage breathing on them.

But at least they're playing outdoors for the most part. Some of the biggest risk areas are indoor properties such as restaurants, stores etc where the air conditioning can spread the virus quickly to those inside. In that type of environment you don't have to have somebody breathing on you to catch the virus.

But at least they're playing outdoors for the most part. Some of the biggest risk areas are indoor properties such as restaurants, stores etc where the air conditioning can spread the virus quickly to those inside. In that type of environment you don't have to have somebody breathing on you to catch the virus.
Like the locker rooms, meeting rooms, etc...

Same holds for the NBA. Just curious, are u opposed to them starting back up?

The sheer number of players in football has to make it tougher though. Rosters are 5 times as big. Greatly increases the chances of it spreading through a team when you’ve got that many more people involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom