NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

I mean, it is literally in the article posted today... "Weitsman has been insistent in every conversation i've [meaning axe] had with him, including on Tuesday," that his actions every step of the way were fueled by helping SU student athletes and giving Orange fans an experience"
yep ur right he inferred that, but, again, even lets say for second that if he's delusional thinking its not also about his brand too, it's a win win good for both is the point, whether he thinks it is or not, it is. Or for that matter whether the school or anyone here thinks he does it ONLY for himself. Anyone with sense can see mutually benefits all parties.

yep ur right he inferred that, but, again, even lets say for second that if he's delusional thinking its not also about his brand too, it's a win win good for both is the point, whether he thinks it is or not, it is. Or for that matter whether the school or anyone here thinks he does it ONLY for himself. Anyone with sense can see mutually benefits all parties.
it clearly wasn't a win win because (it seems, i cannot say for sure) he didnt want to play by the university's rules. Had his intention been what he said then one would think he would play by the rules as it would allow him an outlet to help "SU student athletes and [give] the orange fans an experience"

Last edited:
I get it but the easiest solution isn't to care less. Just pay less attention. I started paying close attention to recruiting the first time when a young man named Dwayne Washington announced to the nation at half time of the national game of the week that he was going to Syracuse University. Over the years I've followed the proliferation of recruiting sites and media sources. I've seen several of the recruits in person just because Syracuse was recruiting them. I think I came to know too much. When you're a fan of a college team living or dying by the whims of a high school kid, or worse by how well a given high school kid did against other high school kids and what people said about those kids...well, I came to know and care too much. And then your college team starts to not win as often and you need those high school kids because the previous high school kids aren't good enough as college kids. So you need better and more high kids. And then the Covid hits. And the rules change, free bonus year for all living college athletes, whether their sport/team played a season or not. Freebies for everyone! And then the lawyers came and the NCAA ducked and we are in NIL world, with all these extra players. Yep, you sure can buy your way into being competitive but the trick is to get someone else to pay with only a side wink to the school. I don't blame a single kid for searching for money. Don't blame me for not caring as much.
I'm finding it easier to just wait to see who is wearing orange this fall/winter. I'll be cheering as hard as ever for them. I won't care who got what from whom. I never bought Nike because of Mike. Truth be told I had a pair of white Nike with red stitching before I ever watched Mike play in the Carrier Dome. I likely wore them to that game. I just want the team in white and orange that say Syracuse, Orange, or Orangemen to win.

Years ago, pro sports became all about the laundry. I stopped caring about individual players whose only loyalty was (justifiably) to their own bottom lines. College sports used to be different. Players used to be every bit as invested in a school as fans. I'd see a kid on campus and high five him knowing he was every bit as invested in being on that campus as I was.

It was special.

NIL has changed that. With the exception of a very small number of truly elite level schools with deeper than deep pockets, everyone else will always be at risk that after 1, 2, 3, even 4 years a player will just vanish in search of a better offer.

This is not a judgement. Repeat for the back of the room. I am not BLAMING PLAYERS ...These players have every right to do what they need to for their own interests. I am merely stating how it has impacted me as a fan. NIL has absolutely has changed for the worse the passion and loyalty I have for individual Syracuse players.

It's all a business, right?
I thought i was adapting. I hated NIL since day one, but still managed to maintain interest in SU. Even in our mediocrity. But, i tuned in yesterday, to find a massive spike in Jesse Edwards posts, and sorta gleaned that we didn't offer enough, and some other programs are trying to poach him and he's now in the portal or somesuch... and that's all just too much for me.

After watching every broadcast minute of SU hoops games since 1985, i may be done.

I cared when we recruited a player who chose us because of who we were. I don't care about a player who chooses the best financial package offered by some prominent or shadow businessperson, and is only with us for a year before entering 'college' free agency. The game just isn't good enough. I was interested in college sports because there was an identity with those who entered our program and shared my school, campus, bars, experience, etc. Now, it's just far too mercenary. If the 'collegiate spirit' isn't a part of my fandom, i'd prefer to just watch a higher level of basketball.

I doubt this will be a hard and fast 'divorce,' but it feels like my interest is now just going to be casual and incidental. Not a commitment. Half of this is NCAA-related, and half is about the piss-poor job SU seems to be doing. Yeah, i get it: the school doesn't offer NIL. But, other schools seem to be doing a better job of navigating the rules. I will 'understand' if Judah goes to the NBA or GLeague. If Jesse Edwards goes to West Freakin Virginia, that's an indictment on SU.

I feel sick.

I thought i was adapting. I hated NIL since day one, but still managed to maintain interest in SU. Even in our mediocrity. But, i tuned in yesterday, to find a massive spike in Jesse Edwards posts, and sorta gleaned that we didn't offer enough, and some other programs are trying to poach him and he's now in the portal or somesuch... and that's all just too much for me.

After watching every broadcast minute of SU hoops games since 1985, i may be done.

I cared when we recruited a player who chose us because of who we were. I don't care about a player who chooses the best financial package offered by some prominent or shadow businessperson, and is only with us for a year before entering 'college' free agency. The game just isn't good enough. I was interested in college sports because there was an identity with those who entered our program and shared my school, campus, bars, experience, etc. Now, it's just far too mercenary. If the 'collegiate spirit' isn't a part of my fandom, i'd prefer to just watch a higher level of basketball.

I doubt this will be a hard and fast 'divorce,' but it feels like my interest is now just going to be casual and incidental. Not a commitment. Half of this is NCAA-related, and half is about the piss-poor job SU seems to be doing. Yeah, i get it: the school doesn't offer NIL. But, other schools seem to be doing a better job of navigating the rules. I will 'understand' if Judah goes to the NBA or GLeague. If Jesse Edwards goes to West Freakin Virginia, that's an indictment on SU.

I feel sick.
I think this is a very fair take. The only things I'll challenge is that (1) SU absolutely offers NIL, and (2) Jesse going another school may very likely be more about that school and less about SU.

Hope all the bleeding hearts are just so happy for these poor abused athletes now that all this has changed.I’ll still follow my Orangemen , but anyone that thinks this is all for the better is a whack job.
If a more equitable system results in a less appealing product, then so be it.

I feel sick.
I agree with you 100 %.. I'm afraid that Nil is going to ruin College Sports for me. I am slowly getting to the point where I am not wanting to watch college sports any more. I think eventually our attendance records will look even worse. There should be some kind of rules and regulations on Nil.

Agreed. After all, the concept of amateurism was established so organizers could profit from free labor.
No amateurism was a system to try to control cheating. To level the playing field.

Have we dropped the “scholar” part of scholar-athlete yet? Inquiring minds are waiting…

Just do away with athletic scholarships altogether. Lets players go get their bags of cash and pay for school like everybody else. And if they don’t want to be students, who the hell cares.

Have we dropped the “scholar” part of scholar-athlete yet? Inquiring minds are waiting…

Just do away with athletic scholarships altogether. Lets players go get their bags of cash and pay for school like everybody else. And if they don’t want to be students, who the hell cares.

How many times does this have to be explained...if you make a player pay to "go to school", the other schools that you are in competition with will not. There's not some magic overruler that can just come in and make these sort grand declarations some of you older folks like to think can just happen.

Lol. I suggested the same exact thing a couple months ago and got blasted for it by some.

Lol. I suggested the same exact think a couple months ago and got blasted for it by some.
As you should of. It's not realistic.

Again, old thinking.

Think of the here and now. The SEC isn't going to make their "students" pay for school.
Deal with reality

As you should of. It's not realistic.

Again, old thinking.

Think of the here and now. The SEC isn't going to make their "students" pay for school.
Deal with reality

Well that’s the problem and why it wouldn’t happen. But it should. But it’s dependent on athletic scholarships not being a thing and not allowed. Saying someone won’t do that isn’t a comeback. The original premise is that nobody could.

Depends who you ask, I suppose.
Well, right off the bat, amateurism wasn’t “created”. It was the norm. It was the system. When money tried to influence sports, people simply tried to defend the system.

How many times does this have to be explained...if you make a player pay to "go to school", the other schools that you are in competition with will not. There's not some magic overruler that can just come in and make these sort grand declarations some of you older folks like to think can just happen.
Apparently you missed the sarcasm.

As far as being “old”, we old people know things. We’ve been around, you know?

You know?

Well, right off the bat, amateurism wasn’t “created”. It was the norm. It was the system. When money tried to influence sports, people simply tried to defend the system.

I’m not sure this is a point worth debating, but amateurism only exists within the context of organized competition. Since organized competition was created at one point, then amateurism was created at or after that point. To take this one step further, since organized competition typically exists for the purpose of somebody making money, I’d argue that it stands to reason amateurism was intended to provide free ‘labor’ for that somebody to make money.

Does amateurism also ensure a fair playing field? Sure, usually. Can organized sports exist without the intent to profit? Sure.

I agree with many on this thread. NIL coupled with the transfer portal has completely eviscerated college sports. It's truly disgusting. Transferring to a new school every year to "bank more coin" is the new reality. Highly doubt any meaningful education is happening during all these moves. College kid who can make a 3 pointer earning more than someone who actually contributes to society with a professional skill is ludicrous. These are not doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses, etc for pete sake. I say just eliminate college sports. Like Europe does. Simply go to college for an education...or turn pro.

I agree with many on this thread. NIL coupled with the transfer portal has completely eviscerated college sports. It's truly disgusting. Transferring to a new school every year to "bank more coin" is the new reality. Highly doubt any meaningful education is happening during all these moves. College kid who can make a 3 pointer earning more than someone who actually contributes to society with a professional skill is ludicrous. These are not doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses, etc for pete sake. I say just eliminate college sports. Like Europe does. Simply go to college for an education...or turn pro.

Wait until you hear how much our coaches have been paid!!

It's the progressive way to do things. Change everything say no to nothing and make things way worse for the sport and team and more about self and no one else 24/7

As of now I certainly see people’s complaints about the transfers and how this has hurt college sports, but if you take a step back,a lot of these coaches have shown no loyalty and chase better opportunities all the time. Look at a place like Cincinnati football, every time they have a good season that coach bolts. Now the players are getting to do the same. I still just cheer for Syracuse and hope whoever is on the field they win. I also believe that this is not sustainable. Boosters and Universities are grossly overpaying certain players. Look at Hunter Dickenson he is great no denying and a difference maker, but Michigan was awful last year and he is going to get a million plus. If whatever team he goes to has a garbage year that was a million wasted. Smart business people want a return on their investment and there is only 1 national champion and only 4 teams make the final four, I personally believe it is not sustainable.

So before it was ok because it was behind closed doors and one didn’t know about. Now it’s all out in the open. Oh no!

It was not to this level and you know that. The unlimited free agency just adds to it. Not a comment on the players. Go ahead and get yours. But I think it’s eventually going to kill the sport as more and more people lose interest. Money dries up real quick when there are no eyeballs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom