NIL | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

This is a really bad look for college basketball, if this is where we're all going.
Not where we are going...we are there! This is where we are. He isn't the first kid to do this, he was the first to say it out loud and publicly like this.

Some schools understand the current climate, others are blind to it still. And its not just basketball, it's all college semi-pro sports

The tweet says rumor but its being reported elsewhere its a done deal

The sport is completely ruined. We are so far behind with what we can offer compared to the top half of college football it’s not even fair. How is it good that the same 6-8 teams are the only ones who have a chance to make the playoffs. We are in a whole different league right now.

The sport is completely ruined. We are so far behind with what we can offer compared to the top half of college football it’s not even fair. How is it good that the same 6-8 teams are the only ones who have a chance to make the playoffs. We are in a whole different league right now.
Yep. Excited I’ll have more time to watch a reasonably corrupt sport like soccer more

Yep. Excited I’ll have more time to watch a reasonably corrupt sport like soccer more

FIFA is the most corrupt of the corrupted. It ain't even close.

Would like to see a group of former players form a Cuse NIL group.

And Lincoln Riley was known to block transfers to conference foes

He can sell far more tee shirts with his # in LA...

FIFA is the most corrupt of the corrupted. It ain't even close.
Eh, maybe. I think more exposed might be right. But at least they don’t employ free labor while lining their pockets like college athletics, while enjoying tax exceptions

We’ve just gotten used to our corruption and see it as normal

IMO they College athletics should be completely amateur. Meaning to be eligible you cannot get any compensation. But at the same time the schools cannot make TV money off of you. So only the conference or NCAA championships can be televised, no regular season.

At the same time colleges should have Sporting Clubs. These will be purely professional and not require anything academically. If a kid wanted to take classes, they are more than welcome, but not required. You sign a contract to play at a school so if you want to leave for the pros or go to another school to play, the contract needs to be bought out.

So for SU the College sports would be Cross Country, Rowing, Track & Field, Field Hockey, Women's Hockey, Women's Lacrosse, Tennis, Volleyball. The Sporting Club would have Football, BBall, Women's BBall. Possibly Soccer, Women's Soccer, Baseball, and Softball. Maybe Men's Lacrosse if enough schools sponsor it, otherwise it is a College sport. Maybe add Hockey both men and women as well.

To expand on my prior thought...

Any team sport that has a professional league should not be considered collegiate. So Baseball, Softball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, and Men's Lacrosse have to be Sporting Club sports. All other sports are College sports.

SU would need to start a Sporting Club if it wanted to sponsor any of those sports. Players would get 5 year contracts to play at the school. If they wanted out before then (pro or another school), they would need to buy SU out or sit out until the contract is up. These kids get paid and do not have to attend classes. If they choose to, they can pay tuition at a reduced rate (like other school employees), and take classes. Since the Sporting Club is not Academic, Title IX would not apply.

For College sports, in order to be eligible for a scholarship you cannot be involved in NIL. So if a kid wants to be an influencer and thinks that they can make $150k a year, they can play but have to pay full tuition. If a kid can't make that type of money, then they should forgo NIL for the scholarship.

Since College sports will be about student athletes, the schools cannot make money off of the sports. So attendance is free and games cannot be on TV (outside of Conf or NCAA Championships). Thus, the exploitation angle is taken completely away. Schools can still charge concessions and pull in donations to help pay for the sport, but no one would break even.

For the ACC...

Sporting Club- Baseball, Basketball, Football, Men's Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball

College- Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Women's Lacrosse, Rowing, Swimming/Diving, tennis, Indoor Track & Field, Track & Field, Volleyball, Wrestling

For Men, I think SU would sponsor Basketball, Football, and Lacrosse for sure. I don't think Baseball, Hockey, or Soccer would be profitable enough to have. Then SU would need to decide which Women's sports to sponsor from Softball, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer. I think Softball, Basketball, and Soccer would be safe. They are on TV a lot and could break even. Hockey might be hard to keep.

Well, I guess we got a year or two of having a chance. Not all of these kids that Southern schools are going to spend so much money on, are going to instantly become stars. But within a couple cycles, there will be "have's" and "have nots".

Its about controlling the transfer situation.
A HS kid is a crap shoot.
Its the college kid. Lets say Tucker who wasnt highly rated in HS that gets poached by a bogus NIL deal. Thats the issue.

To expand on my prior thought...

Any team sport that has a professional league should not be considered collegiate. So Baseball, Softball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, and Men's Lacrosse have to be Sporting Club sports. All other sports are College sports.

SU would need to start a Sporting Club if it wanted to sponsor any of those sports. Players would get 5 year contracts to play at the school. If they wanted out before then (pro or another school), they would need to buy SU out or sit out until the contract is up. These kids get paid and do not have to attend classes. If they choose to, they can pay tuition at a reduced rate (like other school employees), and take classes. Since the Sporting Club is not Academic, Title IX would not apply.

For College sports, in order to be eligible for a scholarship you cannot be involved in NIL. So if a kid wants to be an influencer and thinks that they can make $150k a year, they can play but have to pay full tuition. If a kid can't make that type of money, then they should forgo NIL for the scholarship.

Since College sports will be about student athletes, the schools cannot make money off of the sports. So attendance is free and games cannot be on TV (outside of Conf or NCAA Championships). Thus, the exploitation angle is taken completely away. Schools can still charge concessions and pull in donations to help pay for the sport, but no one would break even.

For the ACC...

Sporting Club- Baseball, Basketball, Football, Men's Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball

College- Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Women's Lacrosse, Rowing, Swimming/Diving, tennis, Indoor Track & Field, Track & Field, Volleyball, Wrestling

For Men, I think SU would sponsor Basketball, Football, and Lacrosse for sure. I don't think Baseball, Hockey, or Soccer would be profitable enough to have. Then SU would need to decide which Women's sports to sponsor from Softball, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer. I think Softball, Basketball, and Soccer would be safe. They are on TV a lot and could break even. Hockey might be hard to keep.
I like the idea. One question - could ticket sales and TV revenue be reenvisioned in this scenario, perhaps only directed to subsidize program costs? Amateur Olympic sports are televised all the time. I do like this concept though.

I like the idea. One question - could ticket sales and TV revenue be reenvisioned in this scenario, perhaps only directed to subsidize program costs? Amateur Olympic sports are televised all the time. I do like this concept though.

I was kind of thinking of this on the fly. Upon further thought maybe it is ok to charge for tickets, but IMO the games should not be on TV. College sports should be about the purity of the game. The minute you add in TV $ that goes away. How many of these games actually get decent ratings in these sports anyway? There isn't much of a TV market.

For the Sporting Club sports maybe you make that the top division only to be fair. So FCS and down in football can be a College sport but no TV, except championships. You want to see your team play you need to go to the game or listen on the radio (kinda like 1980s FBS). For the other Sporting Club sports either create a separate D1 division or move schools into DII. For example, in Men's BBall maybe have D1AA for the schools who are big enough to be D1, but do not want to be Sporting Club (schools like Colgate, etc). Again no TV.

Edit
Lacrosse would be the sport most impacted. I would think only a dozen or so schools would actually go Sporting Club. The good thing is you can play every team and the Final Four can be the Top 4.

Edit II
Actually looking it over I think you would see 20-25 Lax teams. So maybe a 12 team NCAAT in that case.

Last edited:
Eh, maybe. I think more exposed might be right. But at least they don’t employ free labor while lining their pockets like college athletics, while enjoying tax exceptions

We’ve just gotten used to our corruption and see it as normal

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to that sentiment.

On an aside, however, related relative to corruption, etc. I recently watched "Crime of the Century" on HBO Max. It is a two part (4 hour) documentary on the opioid crisis, how it all began with Purdue Pharma, etc. and where it's today. It is stunning and really quite unreal. I also saw the "Dopesick" miniseries on Hulu, which came out after the aforementioned documentary.

As someone else commented in one of these threads; $$$ is the root of all evil.

I was kind of thinking of this on the fly. Upon further thought maybe it is ok to charge for tickets, but IMO the games should not be on TV. College sports should be about the purity of the game. The minute you add in TV $ that goes away. How many of these games actually get decent ratings in these sports anyway? There isn't much of a TV market.

For the Sporting Club sports maybe you make that the top division only to be fair. So FCS and down in football can be a College sport but no TV, except championships. You want to see your team play you need to go to the game or listen on the radio (kinda like 1980s FBS). For the other Sporting Club sports either create a separate D1 division or move schools into DII. For example, in Men's BBall maybe have D1AA for the schools who are big enough to be D1, but do not want to be Sporting Club (schools like Colgate, etc). Again no TV.

Edit
Lacrosse would be the sport most impacted. I would think only a dozen or so schools would actually go Sporting Club. The good thing is you can play every team and the Final Four can be the Top 4.

Edit II
Actually looking it over I think you would see 20-25 Lax teams. So maybe a 12 team NCAAT in that case.
There could potentially be a market for schools to broadcast their own games via streaming. I think taking TV out of the equation will kill any possibility of this happening and I like the club idea quite a bit.

The. NCAA needs to instantly ban USC from post season play because of tampering. It’s the only way to stop the poaching of players from other teams.

The. NCAA needs to instantly ban USC from post season play because of tampering. It’s the only way to stop the poaching of players from other teams.
It's not tampering anymore. This is the new way of college sports.

You call it poaching, it's not. Free agency is now alive and well in college sports. Someone reached out to the kid on a "NIL" deal and told him for him to get paid what he is offering, he should change schools. That is legal now. The kid is allowed to take an NIL deal from anyone and if that money is contingent on him switching schools, that is allowed as well.

I think a lot of people/fans were naive to what NIL was going to be. Others saw this coming a mile away. And some schools have been praying for this for a long time.

We may not go that route, but we will certainly be impacted if we don't.
Exactly. If SU doesn't go that route they will be left in the dust.

This is a turning point for every major college program right now. Get on board with the current setup and rules and play the "system." Or make the decision that major college athletics and all of the perks and things it can do for a college and city just don't matter "that much" and schools focus on being a college first and the sports/athletic part of things becomes an afterthought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom