NIL | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

I would suggest the posters b!tching that SU is doing nothing with NIL.
Smokey Robinson GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

Taxes on that are gonna be fun!

What taxes are those? Its a leased vehicle/loaner. Even if required to value the lease as a benefit for tax purposes he's getting paid at least $75,000 annually from other sources so taxes aren't going to be an issue. Further, if he is being paid by the dealership and this is a benefit, they'll cover cost of insurance.

Pretty sure he'll be covered.

Should we start a Syracusefan.com collective?I'd be in, it would just cut in half my annual donation to the athletic department. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. It does seem ridiculous to pay a high school kid 5 or 6 figures who hasn’t done a thing. A lot of people will be wasting their money. On the other hand, I'd be all for supporting a player like Sean Tucker a bonafide, proven college star.

Should we start a Syracusefan.com collective?I'd be in, it would just cut in half my annual donation to the athletic department. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. It does seem ridiculous to pay a high school kid 5 or 6 figures who hasn’t done a thing. A lot of people will be wasting their money. On the other hand, I'd be all for supporting a player like Sean Tucker a bonafide, proven college star.
I'd be interested if people are for real.

The job has changed significantly. The article talks through that some.
It was a good article, thanks for sharing. College sports is dead, it is now Semi-Pro Ball. There is no such thing as recruiting anymore, it's free agency.

People just haven't realized it yet. The romance of college sports is over. Not all fans have gotten there yet, they will soon.

I heard a reporter tied into the Philadelphia sports scene and Nova talking about Jay Wright leaving Villanova on the radio the other day. He said Jay like many college coaches don't want to put up with the NIL and Transfer portal. So he just quit. That he wanted to quit last year but came back for his seniors and he played a short bench this year and not a lot of younger guys as to not get emotionally attached to them so he wasn't drawn back for another year.

NIL is bad, the transfer portal is worse. It went from a coach can't buy a kid a hamburger to what the NIL is. Which anyone who didn't have their head in the sand saw coming a mile away. The romance of college sports is gone and it isn't ever coming back.

That article and a 45-year-old offensive line coach of the defending champs just leaving is crazy. Never would have happened in the past. This guy would have been a lifer and possibly a head coach someday. Now, it's not worth the headache. These guys would be happier in the USFL and XFL than in college sports and that should NOT be the case.

(also on a side note, I know this is the football board. But that same reporter with the insight on Jay Wright said Jay also saw the handwriting on the wall that non-Power 5 teams and teams in the Northeast who happen to be in the P5 conference won't be able to compete in basketball soon as the money in the South and the Southern schools for NIL deals is just too big. The SEC will be to basketball what it currently is to college football)

Agreed. Without Congress getting involved Syracuse will become a third tier football school and second tier basketball.

Agreed. Without Congress getting involved Syracuse will become a third tier football school and second tier basketball.
Here’s the solution,

1. Recognize there are two revenue sports. in those two sports everyone gets a $10k payment per year. Conditioned on academic performance and progress.

2. Every other athlete gets $5k.

3. NIL is capped at $50k across the board. A star at SU is going to get the same as a player at Miami.

Any arrangements in violation result in immediate disqualification and ban of the student. Outside violators subject to lifetime ban from association and contact with that institution and athletes. The schools will keep a debarred list and an athlete that takes a deal with a debarred individual is to be dismissed immediately.

all deals are registered with the school and reported to its conference. Schools are to maintain a screened list of qualified nil participants and provide a marketplace for networking. Deals will be done through standard contracts provided by the institution approved by the conference.

payments will be disbursed through an account maintained by the school and audited by an outside accounting firm.

anyone who doesn’t like it can: declare for the draft, play overseas, or get a job.

Last edited:
Personally I think NIL will kill the college game if it hasn’t done it already. The NCAA is useless, and so is congress. schools need to blow it up and come up with a set of rules for larger schools. Some have predicted that eventually there will be one super conference, I think that is what will happen. Will Syracuse be apart of it? Depends on the rules. Will we ever compete with the big boys again, I doubt it.

Personally I think NIL will kill the college game if it hasn’t done it already. The NCAA is useless, and so is congress. schools need to blow it up and come up with a set of rules for larger schools. Some have predicted that eventually there will be one super conference, I think that is what will happen. Will Syracuse be apart of it? Depends on the rules. Will we ever compete with the big boys again, I doubt it.
Unless there in an NFL parity model SU will never compete.

Here’s the solution,

1. Recognize there are two revenue sports. in those two sports everyone gets a $10k payment per year. Conditioned on academic performance and progress.

3. NIL is capped at $50k across the board. A star at SU is going to get the same as a player at Miami.

Any arrangements in violation result in immediate disqualification and ban of the student. Outside violators subject to lifetime ban from association and contact with that institution and athletes. The schools will keep a debarred list and an athlete that takes a deal with a debarred individual is to be dismissed immediately.

all deals are registered with the school and reported to its conference. Schools are to maintain a screened list of qualified nil participants and provide a marketplace for networking. Deals will be done through standard contracts provided by the institution approved by the conference.

payments will be disbursed through an account maintained by the school and audited by an outside accounting firm.

anyone who doesn’t like it can: declare for the draft, play overseas, or get a job.

Unfortunately with technology the way it is this isn't enforceable, honestly it is so easy to hide payments now its insane.

Here’s the solution,

Unconstitutional. Doesn't anyone understand that. The NCAA cannot unilaterally impose those limits.
Options:
1. Ride it out. It will find a reasonable level.
2. Must be fully an amateur. If you receive money, you are ineligible and can't compete. (This is different than limiting cash, you are defining eligibility.)
3. Players form a union and negotiate as employees.

Unfortunately with technology the way it is this isn't enforceable, honestly it is so easy to hide payments now its insane.
That’s true with or without NIL. If you don’t do it within the rules it isnt NIL, it’s just old fashioned cheating.

Have everyone who wants to participate as an approved nil sign an agreement with the school that they would be subject to $1M in LDs if they breach that agreement

Unconstitutional. Doesn't anyone understand that. The NCAA cannot unilaterally impose those limits.
Options:
1. Ride it out. It will find a reasonable level.
2. Must be fully an amateur. If you receive money, you are ineligible and can't compete. (This is different than limiting cash, you are defining eligibility.)
3. Players form a union and negotiate as employees.
Unconstitutional? On what basis? Maybe anti-trust concerns. You have member organizations made up of state and private institutions (conferences) determining rules to govern player compensation.

Here’s the solution,

The Supreme Court already ruled on this, you can't restrict a college athlete's earnings. The Supreme Court unanimously upheld the Ninth Circuit, ruling that the NCAA cannot restrict education-related compensation benefits for student-athletes.

That is what your solution is doing, putting a cap on their earnings and that ship has sailed, it can't be done. This has already been in the courts, the courts ruled, and there is no going back now.

This is the new reality and norm of "college" sports. Schools will either get on board and play within the new rules and spend money on players to compete. Or they won't. But if they don't, they will get left behind in a big pile of dust.

That’s true with or without NIL. If you don’t do it within the rules it isnt NIL, it’s just old fashioned cheating.

Have everyone who wants to participate as an approved nil sign an agreement with the school that they would be subject to $1M in LDs if they breach that agreement

You won't be able to enforce it either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom