NIL | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

What does one five star in football do for you? There are still 21 others who are not five stars. And don’t even say that it will attract other five stars. It won’t. They too will be looking for the million dollar deal. To me it’s not worth the risk at all. And not to get too off topic, but if he is dipping his toes into NIL now I don’t want to see any coach, athlete, or anyone a part of any SU teams on his private jet or fraternizing. I hope the university compliance department has crossed all their T’s and dotted all their I’s.
Depends on the five star.

If it turns out to be a dynamic QB, that could be worth a few wins a year for a couple years, per kid. Those wins could be the difference between bowl ($$$$) or bust.

If it is a 5* WR or RB, they can help be a playmaker that adds options for a team looking for a playmaker. This team with a 5* WR right now would definitely be even more dangerous.

Agree with many that four kids at $250k or 5 kids at $200k would have more impact, but this is his money and he can do with it what he wants.

And now that this is out there, and we are 3-0, let's see what the program can attract.

If it turns out to be a dynamic QB, that could be worth a few wins a year for a couple years, per kid. Those wins could be the difference between bowl ($$$$) or bust.

If it is a 5* WR or RB, they can help be a playmaker that adds options for a team looking for a playmaker. This team with a 5* WR right now would definitely be even more dangerous.

Agree with many that four kids at $250k or 5 kids at $200k would have more impact, but this is his money and he can do with it what he wants.

And now that this is out there, and we are 3-0, let's see what the program can attract.
I just instantly thought of Malik Willis.

The unfortunate aspect of NIL is that universities and athletic departments are losing out on money for capital projects or scholarships. Players are still getting a free education and that means a lot.
I didn't notice all of those donations that Adam made to SU in general that we are now going to lose to his NIL help.

I didn't notice all of those donations that Adam made to SU in general that we are now going to lose to his NIL help.
Exactly

The school has plenty of fundraising and funds for schools and buildings.

There are donors who donate solely for scholarships and no Athletic ventures

We didn't make them dang NIL rules, but now we can play with the big boys or since I am female the big women. Things change in life, this being one of them. Whether you like it or not, it is what it is now. I for one am happy that we have Adam W. Notice that he has made sure he is being compliant with what is allowed.

I love this. I don't know Adam at all, chatted with him briefly. He's friends with a friend of mine in Texas that I visit monthly (who also has similar money to Weitsman, but hates sports) and no one has a bad word to say about him. I hope to pitch in on the NIL stuff soon, not remotely close to what Weitsman putting up (hopefully someday we can), but I'm here for it. Is one 5 star going to draw a bunch of 5 stars? No. But a 5 star QB WILL draw in other high quality skill position players, it's certainly not going to hurt. Imagine this years team with a 5 star WR and a 4 star WR with NFL talents for Shrader to throw to. We'd be favorites to win the ACC. I think our coaching staff is one, if not the best (now that Clemson's core has been dismantled), in the ACC. Give us some extra cream on top, WE BALLIN BABY!

I don't like this part...

Adam Weitsman, an Upstate New York entrepreneur who owns waste management, restaurant and cryptocurrency mining businesses, said he plans to target athletes with high wattage name recognition who are “role models.”

Those athletes will get the $1 million, he said, regardless of whether they choose to play sports at SU.

What if he "hires" a kid for $1 mil, and the kid still goes to PSU? That wouldn't be optimal.

Adam Weitsman, an Upstate New York entrepreneur who owns waste management, restaurant and cryptocurrency mining businesses, said he plans to target athletes with high wattage name recognition who are “role models.”

Those athletes will get the $1 million, he said, regardless of whether they choose to play sports at SU.

What if he "hires" a kid for $1 mil, and the kid still goes to PSU? That wouldn't be optimal.
Semantics. He's not going to be paying $1 million for a kid to go to Penn State, just like the ATM boosters aren't paying $1 million for a kid to go to be a Longhorn. He doesn't even like basketball, he supports Cuse hoops because JAB is his friend.

Legally, I believe he has to say that since its not pay for play.

What does one five star in football do for you? There are still 21 others who are not five stars. And don’t even say that it will attract other five stars. It won’t. They too will be looking for the million dollar deal. To me it’s not worth the risk at all. And not to get too off topic, but if he is dipping his toes into NIL now I don’t want to see any coach, athlete, or anyone a part of any SU teams on his private jet or fraternizing. I hope the university compliance department has crossed all their T’s and dotted all their I’s.

Booooooooooo

He can’t say the quiet part obviously…

They bring other players with them. And obviously they have worked on the compliance, why do you think it’s a story on Syracuse.com?You don’t think every single word was cleared with compliance? I don’t particularly like Adam but he’s not an idiot.

Right. A player like Lamar Jackson at SU means I don’t have to watch replays of him hurdling Antwan Cordy for the rest of my life.

Relax. He can’t explicitly say otherwise since it’s against the rules.

Plus…. Our other NIL collective can pay other players. If it doesn’t work out well it’s not like he can’t change the strategy. This is just awesome that we have another 2 million a year going straight to players. It absolutely has to help. It doesn’t really mention if it’s 1 athlete per sport at a time, or 1 per sport per year. Obviously the basketball kids will most likely all be one and dones, but with he take 1 football kid per year, where we will have 3 on campus at a time?

So everyone says how Adam should do this and do that and everyone else complains about how we can’t keep up with NIL offers from other schools, and now he does exactly what everyone is asking for and you don’t like it? Everyone here complains how we lose to a school “who offers a bag” and yet he will handle this with perfect rule following and we’re complaining? Boy oh boy this fan base sometimes I tell ya
Yeah. Those of us complaining about losing someone to a bag was because it was against the rules. I don't like what NIL is doing to college sports(and on a more macro scale what obscene money has been doing for a long time), but a part of me is glad we have someone that will allow us to compete since there's no closing pandora's box.

Peak Syracuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom