North Carolina Gameday... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

Freeze frame 13:20, 7:22, 1:05, 21.1 may give you different perspective.
#9 gave us problems dodging round cage, dont slide n he's shooting on cage

What are you referring to in these frames 13:20 and 7:22?

Last edited:
all four of times given, 13:20, 7:22, 1:05 and :21 are freeze frames right before 4q scores. Adj slides necessary on three when #9 ahead of cover.. Only freeze frame without adj slide was at 7: 22 and that score came off kickout pass by Solomon behind cage and then return pass back to him.

all four of times given, 13:20, 7:22, 1:05 and :21 are freeze frames right before 4q scores. Adj slides necessary on three when #9 ahead of cover.. Only freeze frame without adj slide was at 7: 22 and that score came off kickout pass by Solomon behind cage and then return pass back to him.

I don't necessarily agree but some of it's splitting hairs. 13:20 the slide comes (kennedy) before the attackman is at GLE. The SSDM we really don't know if he could have turned the attackman or not. The slide comes early but maybe that's what they wanted.

At 7:22 might have been the worst of them all. We slid (#30) a looong ways adjacent from X ... that's slam dunk goal 100% of the time. I don't know if it's the right slide but it's a tough cover, you'd like to see the SSDM play a little better there, I think that was Aviles.

1:05 the two slide (#90) recovers pretty well here but then gets juked out of his shorts by the hitch. The slides worked here. Middie made a nice dodge and buried it.

The one thing about these examples is that UNC is really spaced out and no matter what the short stick defenders are on an island with really long slides. credit to UNC.

The other comment I have is that UNC did a good job inverting against the shorties, credit to them. #9 Kelly is listed as an attackman (19/15 on the year) and they're inverting him and then we're asking a freshman short stick to cover him. In fact the final goal is #9 again this time against Rosa but imo it's Kennedy who sort of blows this. He leaves Grey to jump #9, the ball carrier, and there's no switch. How do you leave Grey? Carolina executes a nice little slip pass off the pick back to Grey for the jump shot. I'd like to see Rosa get over the pick there but he doesn't. I don't think Kennedy should have doubled leaving Grey alone.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree but some of it's splitting hairs. 13:20 the slide comes (kennedy) before the attackman is at GLE. The SSDM we really don't know if he could have turned the attackman or not. The slide comes early but maybe that's what they wanted.

At 7:22 might have been the worst of them all. We slid (#30) a looong ways adjacent from X ... that's slam dunk goal 100% of the time. I don't know if it's the right slide but it's a tough cover, you'd like to see the SSDM play a little better there, I think that was Aviles.

1:05 the two slide (#90) recovers pretty well here but then gets juked out of his shorts by the hitch. The slides worked here. Middie made a nice dodge and buried it.

The one thing about these examples is that UNC is really spaced out and no matter what the short stick defenders are on an island with really long slides. credit to UNC.

The other comment I have is that UNC did a good job inverting against the shorties, credit to them. #9 Kelly is listed as an attackman (19/15 on the year) and they're inverting him and then we're asking a freshman short stick to cover him. In fact the final goal is #9 again this time against Rosa but imo it's Kennedy who sort of blows this. He leaves Grey to jump #9, the ball carrier, and there's no switch. How do you leave Grey? Carolina executes a nice little slip pass off the pick back to Grey for the jump shot. I'd like to see Rosa get over the pick there but he doesn't. I don't think Kennedy should have doubled leaving Grey alone.
In both the Cornell and UNC games we should have treated leaving Gray and Piatelli as an absolute last resort.

Murphy is having a good year on 1v1 defense, even did a good job against Piatelli off the dodge, but when rotating he has been falling for that hitch move all year unfortunately.

I believe part of this issues with these slides is how the complexity of the defensive schemes. You can tell that slides change from Adj to Crease many times throughout the game. I've noticed that multiple times each game there appear to be slides coming from both directions which tells me that there is confusion out there. Is the goalie calling it, Petro, or are the boys getting confused based on different offensive sets?

Regardless I do believe that these boys will be better under Petro's scheme assuming he stays around for another year. We also have a some like Cacamo (missed first 2 games) and Clary (missed first 5 games) who would've really benefited from those games + a complete fall.

I'm more positive than most and I like what I saw yesterday and previous games this season. Syracuse has been playing with more heart and hustle then we've seen in years ... and the stats prove it. This team never quits. Last year NC blew us out of the Dome 21-9, so the Desko argument from previous posts are mute. We had more shots, FOs, EMO goals, GBs, higher clear percentage and fewer turnovers. It is true the we need some goalie, passing and shot selection work, but gee, look at the potential this team has as we build towards the future. Win or lose, I like what I see.

Arguments or points about Desko are "moot" not mute. Sorry but this is a common mistake. And I'm the one who misspelt Thomson's name yesterday :cool:

Arguments or points about Desko are "moot" not mute. Sorry but this is a common mistake. And I'm the one who misspelt Thomson's name yesterday :cool:
Agree, I also noticed the mistake as well, but too lazy to go back and edit it. And can you believe parents let their kids take courses from me ... maybe they should rethink ...

mute, moot, puke, hoot, cute, root, loot, boot, nuke
I just wrote a paragraph to myself on raised subject using these words

He didnt blow anything and entire d played it right, Freeze frame used in film sessions for a reason , Rosa had gotten completely sealed off, K jumps Kelly to prevent a direct path to the goalmouth , that is how you leave Gray , allowed Rosa to get back into play n K then went under goal to seal crease instead of pursing behind which would have been a longer path , Caccamo picks up Gray higher who has to float out and away to create any space for that very savable jump shot that was almost tipped by Olexo. That is how Petro wants the defense to respond and execute. Saw the same team d with three good slides on Egans wrap around last being Rice dropping down nicely. Good team d despite Egans score.

Agree, I also noticed the mistake as well, but too lazy to go back and edit it. And can you believe parents let their kids take courses from me ... maybe they should rethink ...
What do you teach? Do you give laxers some leash in grading? Be honest now

mute, moot, puke, hoot, cute, root, loot, boot, nuke
I just wrote a paragraph to myself on raised subject using these words

He didnt blow anything and entire d played it right, Freeze frame used in film sessions for a reason , Rosa had gotten completely sealed off, K jumps Kelly to prevent a direct path to the goalmouth , that is how you leave Gray , allowed Rosa to get back into play n K then went under goal to seal crease instead of pursing behind which would have been a longer path , Caccamo picks up Gray higher who has to float out and away to create any space for that very savable jump shot that was almost tipped by Olexo. That is how Petro wants the defense to respond and execute. Saw the same team d with three good slides on Egans wrap around last being Rice dropping down nicely. Good team d despite Egans score.

You're kidding me. Kennedy showed with that hammer check and then left Grey for some crazy over the head check that he completely whiffs on. Did you miss his lunging over the head check ? He blows it right there.

and even if he's supposed to leave Grey on the switch there is zero switch communication because Rosa doesn't even hesitate for a second to try and recover on his man. There's no way in my mind he's supposed to switch. If he was he wouldn't have tried some yahoo over the head check he would've just gotten top side and turned #9 back.

The defensive sequence on that 2-man game behind is about as poorly executed as you'll see.

No Im not kidding you and might be saying how did K leave Kelly to go back to Gray when Rosa was still behind the play if Kelly had scored. Plays happen fast and fact is Gray was picked up with both Kennedy recovering to opposite crease after Rosa recovered. Not like Gray moseyed came around to open space to dropped it in. Go ask Petro if he liked the execution. He was fine with it. Do wish he were the one doing press conferences and answering the questions

What do you teach? Do you give laxers some leash in grading? Be honest now
Teach mostly computer technology courses that include: database management, information management, enterprise technologies. Have had quite a few laxers as well as football. In all my years teaching never had any men basketball players. Unfortunately, I do have a soft spot for student athletes; but honestly most of them have been excellent students, in spite of what many people think. And most of the parents I've meet have been wonderful.

Go ask Petro if he liked the execution. He was fine with it. Do wish he were the one doing press conferences and answering the questions

That’s part of the problem isn’t it? The perception that Petro is really sort of a shadow head coach? Feels like Gait needs to establish himself more. His sideline demeanor is really strange and, if you didn’t know better you wouldn’t peg him as the head coach if you just stumbled upon a SU game and didn’t know anything about the program. I know it’s worked for him as the women’s coach but something isn’t working with his approach this year. I thought SU would be at an advantage this year with “two head coaches”, but it’s looking like the old quarterback adage, “when you have two, you have none.”

Yep. It appears strange to public but arrangement must work for the two coaches because appears no friction between them. Just polar opposite being true to character with boundaries respected . Desko also delegated much because he had confidence in his assistants as Gait obviously does but the contrast in personalities on and off field is simply starker . Most players prefer hands on direction and communication which Petro provides . Current disparity in sideline demeanor and perceived investment in team likely closes some once Gait inherits the incoming classes that he can shaped from start. Hopefully learn that deflecting and diminishing is a bad look. Suspect transition from coaching women to men likely involve some adjusting to in initial year. Winning tends to cure all and losing tends to do the opposite but little quit seen in this team which is a credit to those responsible.

Also after thinking bout it with gait and his pressers maby he is a tough love coach. As in say we even won unc game or both cornell and unc i could see gait still saying he isn’t thrilled bout the play. As mistakes still happing and fundamentals at times look high schoolish. Could see him saying happy bout the win but not with the play. Maby just maby he expects a lot a lot more out of these players since they play for cuse. Maby surgar coating it to players isn’t what he wants to do. Almost like ur playing for cuse so you need to play at this level in respect to this school while also your teammates and all. Brutally honest is possible his intentions. Which you know I don’t disagree with. They are young men not kids young men. So he is treating them as such not babying or playing down their play or mistakes. Who knows maby it gave this team the heart we seen them play with even tho the results didn’t make wins. Playing with heart is in my mind harder to find then talent. Also wants them to come together as a TEAM. He said it many times they don’t and need to play as team. Stop being selfish and wanting all glory for oneself and share the glory with everyone. He may be deeper of coach then give credit. As maryland no doubt has vast talent but they also play very unselfish and together. Anyone who’s ever played sports will know as long as you have some skill all over even if not the best you all play your roles and as team will almost win all the time. As tucker (dude is beast) but he does look to shoot most of the time and takes a lot of outside shots with defenders on him or even double teams coming. Grant very good at doing it and scores a lot. But to be great as a gary gait as player. Need to be able to get your team involved. this season prob the highest assist tucker has had and think it’s only 11 on year maby few more. No way knocking on tuck just saying may help his game and easier for him if he got his teammates involved a lot more as he is the captain. Same can go for curry .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom