North Carolina Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

Some of these have just two games left in their SU careers.

Hopefully we can get over the hump and win one of them.

These last two games were the ones unfortunately. Last 2 games are likely to be one sided affairs

Wasn't able to see the game but watching the highlights man that was brutal that they actually took the lead so late. It's odd Birtwistle wasn't even listed in the box score. Great to see him get a few though, looks like he should be starting the next 2 weeks.

UNC had only 19 shots on goal while Cuse put 31 on cage , Kreig with 18 saves to cuse 5 was the largest issue today

some have to be pulling their hair out
those stats . hate to over simplify but better saves better shots is the issue here,

Last edited:
Talent deficiency.
Talent deficiency.
Talent deficiency.
Reading how Rutgers football staff is raving about former Cuse wr Harris in their camp .

Why exactly did he leave Cuse ? Shouldn't Babers be bringing talent in.

Anish2.png

Reading how Rutgers football staff is raving about former Cuse wr Harris in their camp .

Why exactly did he leave Cuse ? Shouldn't Babers be bringing talent in.
Headcase, right?

Admit that Lexus thoughts on Dobson were correct .
Cuse goalie play was brutal but D is allowing high quality shots by UNC. If Thompson or Gavin were decent goalies, being shelled regularly with lousy D has no doubt removed any confidence they had. I agree with earlier comments that Thompson should have played more. Dobson got shelled in the 2nd half by a weak Siena team today so don't think I'd want to see him against Chris Gray.

Phaup should not get any flak for not winning face-offs late - he's been a monster out there and no doubt very tired.

Cuse offense's sloppy shooting continues to make OPPOSING GOALIES LOOK BETTER THAN THEY ARE.

As m
As much as I'm not impressed with Gait's coaching this season, he has absolutely nailed one issue that has plagued the team for several years: Inaccurate and inconsistent shooting!!! At least he has the balls to tell it like it is. This was a huge problem last year and resulted in a tired, undermanned D running out of gas in the 2nd half of the season as the ball was in our end constantly.

I have struggled through many years now of watching this and I simply don't understand how the shooting is not better. I can't help but think that coaching (March) must be held responsible.

I also think Nick Mellen and Bomberry did not get enough credit for the outstanding D they provided a few years back. That vacuum has never been filled.

Agreed try Page or Drago or give Curry a run late or Kennedy or a guy like Frattergio. I'm also not sure the staff sees what we see, it took till game 12 to see Birtwistle at attack while myself and others have been asking for that since February
Birt was hurt for a few weeks right? Maybe staff were still moving him slowly in more game play.

As m

As much as I'm not impressed with Gait's coaching this season, he has absolutely nailed one issue that has plagued the team for several years: Inaccurate and inconsistent shooting!!! At least he has the balls to tell it like it is. This was a huge problem last year and resulted in a tired, undermanned D running out of gas in the 2nd half of the season as the ball was in our end constantly.

I have struggled through many years now of watching this and I simply don't understand how the shooting is not better. I can't help but think that coaching (March) must be held responsible.

I also think Nick Mellen and Bomberry did not get enough credit for the outstanding D they provided a few years back. That vacuum has never been filled.
totally agree mellon and bomberry def didn’t get enough credit bomberry caught a lot of passes or deflected passes to where we go get the gb this year and last seems any pass make it thru d not sure if sticks arnt up enough or active enough or what. To if blame coaches or what can’t truely say who’s to blame as in cornell game petro clearly said if gonna slide go don’t hesitate just go n we did exactly opposite. coaches can only tell you how to play and what to do or not do up to players to actually do it. Coaches can be blame for certain things not changing players or system but think blame fully on them isn’t fully fair .

Different schemes .Bomberry was certainly underrated as was Cunnigham (and Helmer) but neither was considered top defenders . As g theyroup were very experienced playing together for four years t which was of f great benefit and each had and knew their role. TB had a tremendous stick and his physicality was certainly a deterrent .Cunnigham was very sound fundamentally, very disciplined in his help which was overlooked. Both were rarely out of place and TB played a role in transition with Kennedy and Dearth up top. Under Petro there are significant differences in current defensive approach that Fetterly discussed in recent interview with Axe on radio. Desko was not a fan of slides and his defenses under Rogers employed few and rules were simple. Mellen was excellent on ball against most but hardly provided any help to others . His sole role was to limit his cover. I would say that our current close on ball d is as strong or better especially on defending X dodges if you recall past play around crease. Larger d issue today is mostly off ball breakdowns coming off slides . Maybe better in short term to slide and switch less but Fetterly explained various slide packages are needed these days to keep up agaisnt the offenses that he considers deeper than ever . Felt is was necessary change to keep up. Gave Petro kudos ion for instruction but said schemes will take some time to get the timing and coordination down especially on 2nd and 3rd slides which has not yet happened on a consistent basis. Sliding is what top defenses such as ND and Georgetown do well and best . Passing off or doubling offensive players with rest of D knowing where to go. Byrne who is consider the defensive architect of ND system brought his principles to Harvard and now seeing improvement. Better to judge changes next year when a influx of talented d recruits come in which Petro will have from day one of their careers to coach them up..Also help that all our dm's and ism's will return with a year of instruction under their belt . Doubt ways will be dumbed down andbelieve better execution will be seen . As far as goaltending, is it chicken or egg . Staff should be able to tell after season film but 42% doesnt cut it however sliced. Difference of 10% ithere s huge. Cuse has played a top schedule, if you look at team stats, this is not a 4-8 team by any means . Just a year where anything that can go wrong has. It can easily be a ten win team next year with a few enhancements.

Trust Cuse will bring in a good fogo or two in offseason. Goalie position will be assessed. Five deep and a few coming in. As far as Cuse shot selection and shooting percentages, many scores were unassisted simply because orchestrators such as Refhuss was gone and Hiltz was out. Be different flow next year with Hiltz returning and Spallina arriving. Expect shooting percentages to rise significantly .

Different schemes .Bomberry was certainly underrated as was Cunnigham (and Helmer) but neither was considered top defenders . As g theyroup were very experienced playing together for four years t which was of f great benefit and each had and knew their role. TB had a tremendous stick and his physicality was certainly a deterrent .Cunnigham was very sound fundamentally, very disciplined in his help which was overlooked. Both were rarely out of place and TB played a role in transition with Kennedy and Dearth up top. Under Petro there are significant differences in current defensive approach that Fetterly discussed in recent interview with Axe on radio. Desko was not a fan of slides and his defenses under Rogers employed few and rules were simple. Mellen was excellent on ball against most but hardly provided any help to others . His sole role was to limit his cover. I would say that our current close on ball d is as strong or better especially on defending X dodges if you recall past play around crease. Larger d issue today is mostly off ball breakdowns coming off slides . Maybe better in short term to slide and switch less but Fetterly explained various slide packages are needed these days to keep up agaisnt the offenses that he considers deeper than ever . Felt is was necessary change to keep up. Gave Petro kudos ion for instruction but said schemes will take some time to get the timing and coordination down especially on 2nd and 3rd slides which has not yet happened on a consistent basis. Sliding is what top defenses such as ND and Georgetown do well and best . Passing off or doubling offensive players with rest of D knowing where to go. Byrne who is consider the defensive architect of ND system brought his principles to Harvard and now seeing improvement. Better to judge changes next year when a influx of talented d recruits come in which Petro will have from day one of their careers to coach them up..Also help that all our dm's and ism's will return with a year of instruction under their belt . Doubt ways will be dumbed down andbelieve better execution will be seen . As far as goaltending, is it chicken or egg . Staff should be able to tell after season film but 42% doesnt cut it however sliced. Difference of 10% ithere s huge. Cuse has played a top schedule, if you look at team stats, this is not a 4-8 team by any means . Just a year where anything that can go wrong has. It can easily be a ten win team next year with a few enhancements.
I wouldn't count on March and Petro being back next year. Everyone talks about rebuilding and changing the culture but this season has been ugly and if Gait doesn't think these coaches are the right fit, he will jettison them now and not wait.

Goalie and fogo mission critical 2023
Agree. there is a psychological dynamic to defensive coordination that depends on confidence in the goalie. When a goalie cannot stop at least 50% percent of shots in general and a good portion of shots he should not ordinarily stop, defensemen will react from anxiety, even panic in front of him, no matter talent or skill. Drake's performance last year as opposed to the previous year suffered horribly from his surrender to depression during tough games. Even relatively skilled ds like Kennedy looked awful in that situation. Synergistically, the goalie loses confidence in his ds and chaos results. Hedges become full on dives instead of slides, tough coverage becomes hacks and trips. I think recruiting should start with all out efforts to find the best goalie and FOGO.

I wouldn't count on March and Petro being back next year. Everyone talks about rebuilding and changing the culture but this season has been ugly and if Gait doesn't think these coaches are the right fit, he will jettison them now and not

I’d be surprised to see a change.

As many have mentioned , we’ve been working with what we’ve got/was left ..a full transition , injuries etc …

honestly a lot of us predicted most of what happened ..probably thought we would beat hop and Albany ; but also didn’t think we would play Cornell and UNC so close ..but net net ..the record is pretty much aligned with the going in perspective …

.some coaching blunders for sure , but it’s early sledding, ..

I think this crew gets a fresh start and a season to see what can be done…

If there was one change , it might be March but I still think he gets a shot with the incoming cavalry

Agree. there is a psychological dynamic to defensive coordination that depends on confidence in the goalie. When a goalie cannot stop at least 50% percent of shots in general and a good portion of shots he should not ordinarily stop, defensemen will react from anxiety, even panic in front of him, no matter talent or skill. Drake's performance last year as opposed to the previous year suffered horribly from his surrender to depression during tough games. Even relatively skilled ds like Kennedy looked awful in that situation. Synergistically, the goalie loses confidence in his ds and chaos results. Hedges become full on dives instead of slides, tough coverage becomes hacks and trips. I think recruiting should start with all out efforts to find the best goalie and FOGO.

Well said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom