Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

Not that anyone needs another opinion (mine), but it does seem like the university might have panicked and made the situation worse. No one outside of Syracuse and some college basketball junkies was paying attention to the strange press conference on a Wednesday afternoon. Now, releasing the statement right afterward with no quotes from JB and not mentioning retirement, it's a bigger story, calls more attention to the mess, and makes both JB and the university look bad. Seems like they could have given it a day or two to let everyone calm down and try to get JB onboard.

But I suppose they may have known that wouldn't happen, so they just ripped the band aid off. Either way, it's really a shame it all ended this way.

What should Wildhack have done differently?

Just my personal opinions, obviously.

Perhaps, wait a couple days to give JB one final opportunity to 'retire' and offer support for Red.

Perhaps have some comment about how a university consultant / ambassador opportunity is waiting for him, should he choose to take it?

Perhaps understand that JB was not going to say whatever he wanted him to say in that last Wake presser, let him have 1 last pouty, confusing moment, let things settle for a few days, and setup a Friday presser where Red is announced and maybe his staff is announced and give JB the opportunity to say goodbye.

It seems like he was agitated by JBs confusing comments in the presser and went alpha on him. JB was gone as early as last week, so perhaps Wildhack felt damage control was necessary?

However, JB is the one who won us an NC, not some AD, and deserves some understanding as he struggles to cope with the end of his career.

Curious how Crouthamel would have handled it. Maybe he would have forced JB out for Hop, who knows?

This is pretty accurate. If Hop thought there was going to a smooth transition and an honoring of the plan then he would have stayed and taken over.

But he saw the behind the scenes shenanigans in motion and knew it would have been a hostile takeover. There was a lot of crazy stuff happening back then. So he told his agent to start looking.

Yesterdays events proved him to be Nostradamus.

So he left and couched his comments by saying all the right things publicly.

But, but, how do you know this, Jake? Did you hear this from Hopkins personally? ;)

In all seriousness, this is exactly what I’ve heard from others who have a direct line to what’s going on.

Not that anyone needs another opinion (mine), but it does seem like the university might have panicked and made the situation worse. No one outside of Syracuse and some college basketball junkies was paying attention to the strange press conference on a Wednesday afternoon. Now, releasing the statement right afterward with no quotes from JB and not mentioning retirement, it's a bigger story, calls more attention to the mess, and makes both JB and the university look bad. Seems like they could have given it a day or two to let everyone calm down and try to get JB onboard.

But I suppose they may have known that wouldn't happen, so they just ripped the band aid off. Either way, it's really a shame it all ended this way.

I am guessing the announcement was a contingency plan.

I'd guess the AD and Jim had conversations about this being his last year and Jim was simply not on board with the idea.

It was also clear that the AD and administration had drawn a line in the sand on that.

Perhaps, plan A was to do this next week with an official announcement and press conference (and maybe get JB reluctantly on board by then and could pass the baton to Red with congratulations).

But that was not to be... JB forced their hand in the post-game presser and crossed the line in the sand, so he was removed.

Perhaps, wait a couple days to give JB one final opportunity to 'retire' and offer support for Red.

Perhaps understand that JB was not going to say whatever he wanted him to say in that last Wake presser, let him have 1 last pouty, confusing moment, let things settle for a few days, and setup a Friday presser where Red is announced and maybe his staff is announced and give JB the opportunity to say goodbye.

It seems like he was agitated by JBs confusing comments in the presser and went alpha on him. JB was gone as early as last week, so perhaps Wildhack felt damage control was necessary?

However, JB is the one who won us an NC, not some AD, and deserves some understanding as he struggles to cope with the end of his career.

Curious how Crouthamel would have handled it. Maybe he would have forced JB out for Hop, who knows?
You realize JB won that championship 20 years ago right?

JB is a 78 year old man who wouldn’t accept the fact he does not have it anymore and it was time to go.

I am guessing the announcement was a contingency plan.

I'd guess the AD and Jim had conversations about this being his last year and Jim was simply not on board with the idea.

It was also clear that the AD and administration had drawn a line in the sand on that.

Perhaps, plan A was to do this next week with an official announcement and press conference (and maybe get JB reluctantly on board by then and could pass the baton to Red with congratulations).

But that was not to be... JB forced their hand in the post-game presser and crossed the line in the sand, so he was removed.

Classic Boeheim. A curmudgeon until the end.

Perhaps have some comment about how a university consultant / ambassador opportunity is waiting for him, should he choose to take it?
IMHO, the statement should've highlighted how the University would love to have JB remain a part of university.

You realize JB won that championship 20 years ago right?

JB is a 78 year old man who wouldn’t accept the fact he does not have it anymore and it was time to go.
But, JB won it, didn't he?

He deserved whatever rope he wanted.

However, yes, if he was directly told that you are done after the last game this season and Red is your replacement and we want you to do xyz and if you do 321 instead we will go nuclear on you, then yes, I might understand Wildhacks actions.

Save for Crouthamel, I view the ADs as stuffed shirts. The coaches and players do the real work.

It was disrespectful of Boeheim to do what he did to the program the last couple years, not the least of which was that presser today. He's always been disrespectful to a lot of people on the hill, so no shock here.
… but thank you coach for all you did. I remember sitting at my grandpa’s feet listening to……….blah, blah, blah…….

JB had simply drained the tank of good will and built up a vast reservoir of the opposite, bad vibes whatever you want to call it. Simple as that. Contributed mightily with the circumstances of the past couple of months of self induced bad press, losing his team with contention in the ranks (know this for certain), to the point where after that press conference JW had no choice other than to go all alpha (good for him, I'd love to see the body language in the athletic depts today with the two!).

Anyway This ugly ending is ALL on JB, did NOT have to go down this way. Again simple as that to any of us who are "in the know" on some of the circumstances mentioned.

Last edited:

I don't think they panicked; I think they were painted into a corner by JB and had this canned release ready to go if necessary. Unfortunately, it was necessary.

As some other posters have noted, some of the qualities that made JB an amazing head coach are probably contributing to this being such a challenging situation. His tenacity and drive probably make it very difficult for him to step away voluntarily. When I heard his halftime commentary yesterday, I immediately thought that that was a man who knew that he was facing his final half of basketball after 47 years of being a hc if he loses.

I think he's going to need some time, but I think we'll see him step up and be an amazing leader and ambassador for both the community and SU moving forward. I'm sure the end of the road is very traumatic for him, and he needs time to heal and adjust.

JB had simply drained the tank of good will and built up a vast reservoir of the opposite, bad vibes whatever you want to call it. Simple as that. Mostly with the circumstances of the past couple of months of self induced bad press, losing his team with contention in the ranks (know this for certain), to the point where JW had no choice. This ugly ending is ALL on JB. Again simple as that to any of us who are "in the know" on some of the circumstances mentioned.
Yeah, I definitely acknowledge the circumstances of the past couple months made this all the more challenging for all involved.

JB is a powerful ally, seems that bridge may have been burned. the real question is: if AA flops next year does JW survive?
Disagree. I think some Cuse fans vastly overestimate who JAB is in the landscape of college basketball in 2023. He doesn't wield nearly the power he once did, or as much as he thinks he still does. Let's be truthful, the only time Cuse basketball, and Jim, has been talked about nationally it was because Jim said something dumb or that he needed to retire.
Things change over time. Power shifts. The old guard are no longer the power brokers in the modern landscape of college basketball (and football for that matter).

Disagree. I think some Cuse fans vastly overestimate who JAB is in the landscape of college basketball in 2023. He doesn't wield nearly the power he once did, or as much as he thinks he still does. Let's be truthful, the only time Cuse basketball, and Jim, has been talked about nationally it was because Jim said something dumb or that he needed to retire.
Things change over time. Power shifts. The old guard are no longer the power brokers in the modern landscape of college basketball (and football for that matter).
Its not the college basketball landscape, its in syracuse. The relationships he has with boosters, with board members, with local sponsors (with several of whom he holds a board seat). If aurty does what Kenny Payne did next year or if he turns a couple sub .500 seasons, I'm not sure JW will be in the head post much longer.

But, JB won it, didn't he?

He deserved whatever rope he wanted.

However, yes, if he was directly told that you are done after the last game this season and Red is your replacement and we want you to do xyz and if you do 321 instead we will go nuclear on you, then yes, I might understand Wildhacks actions.

Save for Crouthamel, I view the ADs as stuffed shirts. The coaches and players do the real work.
No, he didn’t. He had a bad last 8-9 years despite a couple miracle runs in the tournament. And we had no actual prospect of competing for a national championship again.

Its not the college basketball landscape, its in syracuse. The relationships he has with boosters, with board members, with local sponsors (with several of whom he holds a board seat). If aurty does what Kenny Payne did next year or if he turns a couple sub .500 seasons, I'm not sure JW will be in the head post much longer.
Absolutely agree on the JW sentiment. The athletics program has been beat down over the last few years and it needs to change. Quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom