Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

I mean let’s be real here. If you are 18, 19, 20 years old, and you offered a couple million dollars I think 99.9% of people take that. We say this stuff as it was never a reality for us and never had the opportunity of millions at that age so it’s easy to say we wouldn’t take the millions. But if we legitimately had the opportunity to play pro ball for millions at that age I would take that in 2 seconds.

If you are wise with that money you are set for life, it also allows you the money to go back and get your degree if they want too. But a couple million at that age, invest it, save it, etc...and they are set for life. Yeah you may miss a couple years of the college experience but your pro ball window is SO SMALL that you have to take it when you can and cash it in when you can and that in turn sets you up for the experience of life. I don’t blame these kids for one second for leaving early and cashing in. They don’t owe us anything, we aren’t the ones working out, blood, sweat and tears hours and hours every day, coming from some of the neighborhoods they come from. I give props to the kids if anything, not everyone is as lucky as we are and the second they have the opportunity to give a better life to their families and themselves, who the hell are we to tell say something or tell them what to do yanno?

Now selfishly as a huge Cuse fan I wish all these guys stayed 4 years but I totally understand them leaving and I wish them success in life as they need to do what’s best for them and they know the circumstances they have in front of them. Whether they are in the league 2 years or 15 years it’s hard as hell to get there and maintain staying there. But by all means cash in when you can and set you and your fam up for life young fella

Last edited:
Jerami Grant was a stud out of DeMatha. He was a top 50 recruit.
He was a lot more well known than Oshae Brissett.
Grant would have been a first or second team all-America if he stayed another season.

Brissett wasn’t going to get better playing another year of free basketball for Syracuse.

I never said he was going to get better playing at Syracuse. He didn't do what it was necessary to improve his game while here. He did everything he shouldn't have done. He ran off to the other side of the country and came back looking to do something he wasn't capable of. He was the same exact player he was when he left as he was when he came; someone who couldn't hit a shot outside of 10 feet and was dead in the water if you cut off his strong hand when he made an attempt to dribble the ball.

Jerami Grant a stud? He couldn't shoot, nor dribble. He was just really athletic and for the most part stuck to what he was good at here, bet on himself with the blessing of his family and turned into something no one could have saw coming. There aren't many second round picks that do what he was able to do. The Nuggets gave him a shot and he made the most of it in addition to developing a well rounded game.

Jerami Grant was a stud out of DeMatha. He was a top 50 recruit.
He was a lot more well known than Oshae Brissett.
Grant would have been a first or second team all-America if he stayed another season.
He wanted to get paid to play basketball. He has done fine.

Brissett wasn’t going to get better playing another year of free basketball for Syracuse.

Maybe not or maybe he would have gotten better. My point is if the outcome is the same and he gets paid at some point anyways, why not enjoy college another year. Unless it is not enjoyable.

BOTH guys left after Soph year.
Ya and one is a Nba star, and the other is out of the league, its about developing your game and being ready, Grant was ready to take his chance in the Nba and run with it, Lydon was not.

Hughes couldn't possibly do anymore in college, not to pick on Lydon and 3.5 mil is great, but where is he now? Would you rather be Lydon or Grant?
Lydon made the correct choice.
Because it was HIS choice.
He got money and can get a free education after playing thanks to the NCAA rule change.

He didn’t make the wrong choice.

These kids want to get paid to play basketball.

Ya and one is a Nba star, and the other is out of the league, its about developing your game and being ready, Grant was ready to take his chance in the Nba and run with it, Lydon was not.
WTH are you talking about?

This is why Lydon hates our fans. They say this stuff to him.

I mean to each its own, but the argument that gets missed is guys who take the quick payday vs guys who stay to develop their game so they can earn that 2nd Nba contract. There is a reason some of our guys are no longer on Nba rosters.
Would these guys have "developed" though? The NBA isn't really looking for development, they're looking for potential.

For example, would Lydon have improved on being picked #17 by staying another year and playing out of position at the 5?

Besides all of that, it's fairly presumptuous for the OP to tell other people what they should do with their life. All of these guys had a couple years of the college experience, and maybe that was enough. Maybe it was more than enough. If a kid who goes to Newhouse can leave school after 2 years to be the play-by-play announcer for a pro team, would anyone begrudge them that?

I wish people were more honest in these discussions. For the most part, people just want SU to be better at hoops, and that means keeping these kids in school. There's nothing wrong with that perspective, but people should own it. Not pretend its about some nonsense concern about their life experience.

Being “Big Man on Campus” is not what most of these guys go to school for. Their goal is to find the best path to get to the league. College is still that path for most kids despite other paths being created (G League, overseas), but it’s now 1-2 years for most. After that, kids have to deal with appearing to have already “hit their ceiling” or “too old”.

Last edited:
WTH are you talking about?

This is why Lydon hates our fans. They say this stuff to him.
I have never said a thing to him, this is a sports message board to discuss sports.

I never said he was going to get better playing at Syracuse. He didn't do what it was necessary to improve his game while here. He did everything he shouldn't have done. He ran off to the other side of the country and came back looking to do something he wasn't capable of. He was the same exact player he was when he left as he was when he came; someone who couldn't hit a shot outside of 10 feet and was dead in the water if you cut off his strong hand when he made an attempt to dribble the ball.

Jerami Grant a stud? He couldn't shoot, nor dribble. He was just really athletic and for the most part stuck to what he was good at here, bet on himself with the blessing of his family and turned into something no one could have saw coming. There aren't many second round picks that do what he was able to do. The Nuggets gave him a shot and he made the most of it in addition to developing a well rounded game.
Yeah because coming back to School Boeheim would have said Jerami you just shoot and develop a jumper for the NBA.
Don’t go down low and take advantage of your athletic superiority. Just do what will help your pro stock.

Jerami Grant left because he wanted to get paid to play pro basketball and if he came back he would have been stuck doing what the HC would want to win games first.

Let's not forget that Grant came from a NBA bloodline. I think that matters a bunch in terms of trusting his talent, getting the right advice, having a feel for how NBA teams value him, etc.

Let's not forget that Grant came from a NBA bloodline. I think that matters a bunch in terms of trusting his talent, getting the right advice, having a feel for how NBA teams value him, etc.
Of course being the son of a good Nba player always gives you an extra advantage, but its not the end all be all. The Goat Mj's kids never really developed into great players.

Yeah because coming back to School Boeheim would have said Jerami you just shoot and develop a jumper for the NBA.
Don’t go down low and take advantage of your athletic superiority. Just do what will help your pro stock.

Jerami Grant left because he wanted to get paid to play pro basketball and if he came back he would have been stuck doing what the HC would want to win games first.

You're making zero sense. Did you read what you typed? Boeheim let Jerami do him. He didn't ask him to shoot because he knew he couldn't shoot. He let him play to his strengths. Grant thought it was time to go and someone took a flyer on him in the second. It worked out for him. That's the same reason why he wanted Oshae to play to his strengths and not hang around the three point line. It's the same reason he doesn't want Guerrier on the perimeter. He knows his players strengths. Anyone who's watching knows what someone can and can't do. When you can't do something and you repeatedly fail at it, that stands out a hell of a lot more than what you can do well.

College basketball is a big business.
Coaches, schools make millions.
Kids who are the talent(unless they get bags and they should get bags) don’t receive any of that revenue.

As soon as a player can get paid they are going to go pro an overwhelming majority of the time.

These players play in programs that the coaches have objectives to win games not develop them their deficiencies for the pro game. If both go hand in hand good. College coaches aren’t going to develop their prospects better than pro coaches do.
The pro game is different from the college game.

You're making zero sense. Did you read what you typed? Boeheim let Jerami do him. He didn't ask him to shoot because he knew he couldn't shoot. He let him play to his strengths. Grant thought it was time to go and someone took a flyer on him in the second. It worked out for him. That's the same reason why he wanted Oshae to play to his strengths and not hang around the three point line. It's the same reason he doesn't want Guerrier on the perimeter. He knows his players strengths. Anyone who's watching knows what someone can and can't do. When you can't do something and you repeatedly fail at it, that stands out a hell of a lot more than what you can do well.
You also probably believe Jim Boeheim hasn’t told Kadary to stop shooting 3’s.

I honestly don’t believe you can’t get what I am saying.
Boeheim knows his players strengths for HIM TO WIN. The players want to become pros. Those agendas don’t always line up. Thus the players want to go pro.

You also probably believe Jim Boeheim hasn’t told Kadary don’t shoot 3’s.

I honestly don’t believe you can’t get what I am saying.
Boeheim knows his players strengths for HIM TO WIN. The players want to become pros. Those agendas don’t always line up. Thus the players want to go pro.

We're on two different pages. Enjoy your day.

Maybe not or maybe he would have gotten better. My point is if the outcome is the same and he gets paid at some point anyways, why not enjoy college another year. Unless it is not enjoyable.

The longer you stay in college the less appealing you are to the NBA. They view it that upperclassmen should dominate because they’re 2-3 years older than kids they’re playing against. By that point the real talent their age is in NBA rotations or are emerging stars, so putting up 18 and 11 for a year against kids who 90% of them aren’t on an NBA radar isn’t impressive.

And the enjoying college piece sounds good but being a young millionaire NBA player in a major American city is the college experience amplified up a couple levels.

The longer you stay in college the less appealing you are to the NBA. They view it that upperclassmen should dominate because they’re 2-3 years older than kids they’re playing against. By that point the real talent their age is in NBA rotations or are emerging stars, so putting up 18 and 11 for a year against kids who 90% of them aren’t on an NBA radar isn’t impressive.

And the enjoying college piece sounds good but being a young millionaire NBA player in a major American city is the college experience amplified up a couple levels.
Sure for a year or two, but what happens if you can't stick in the league?

Sure for a year or two, but what happens if you can't stick in the league?
Then you can decide to continue playing pro basketball overseas or get a job in real world.

Brandon Triche played 4 years here and watching him play in the TBT he developed Spectacularly in Europe.

Then you can decide to continue playing pro basketball overseas or get a job in real world.

Brandon Triche played 4 years here and watching him play in the TBT he developed Spectacularly in Europe.
Triche is doing great, but he never really was an Nba prospect. If you are a Mcdonalds all american and top 15 draft pick and out of the league in a few years, that isn't a good thing.

Would these guys have "developed" though? The NBA isn't really looking for development, they're looking for potential.

For example, would Lydon have improved on being picked #17 by staying another year and playing out of position at the 5?

Besides all of that, it's fairly presumptuous for the OP to tell other people what they should do with their life. All of these guys had a couple years of the college experience, and maybe that was enough. Maybe it was more than enough. If a kid who goes to Newhouse can leave school after 2 years to be the play-by-play announcer for a pro team, would anyone begrudge them that?

I wish people were more honest in these discussions. For the most part, people just want SU to be better at hoops, and that means keeping these kids in school. There's nothing wrong with that perspective, but people should own it. Not pretend its about some nonsense concern about their life experience.

Well said. As an SU fan, I'd love for them to have stayed in school and I wouldn't be that thrilled about the elimination of the transfer sitting out a year rule, to be honest. But that's strictly looking at it as an SU fan.

Looking at it objectively, a lot of these kids come from dramatically different backgrounds than myself and are going into a career that has a limited shelf life before you are too old to play, so do whatever you think is best for yourself and have fun while you can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom