Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

Its not that I just want SU to be better, it's that if they had the confidence in their game they would think they would be drafter either way and could potentially stay to win a championship or have fun for one more year.

My opinion is many think that they should leave when the can because if might be their only shot. They lack the confidence that they will make it if they stay longer.
This is an ugly way of thinking, claiming that these decisions are made out of a lack of confidence or fear.

Confidence is great. My irrational confidence has taken me far in life. But let's not confuse the existence of confidence with an ability to overcome the unknown, ie where a player may later get drafted/if they experience some kind of reputational hit for some reason/the possibility of injury.

Its not that I just want SU to be better, it's that if they had the confidence in their game they would think they would be drafter either way and could potentially stay to win a championship or have fun for one more year.

My opinion is many think that they should leave when the can because if might be their only shot. They lack the confidence that they will make it if they stay longer.
This is a weird definition of confidence. And it's kind of insulting to these guys.

They had the confidence to leave. They believed so much in their skills that they felt ready to enter the most competitive basketball league on Earth.

I think its important to remember that there are 7.6 billion people on Earth and only 450 play in the NBA. It is insanely difficult to make an NBA roster, and not making one doesn't mean you have somehow failed in the realm of professional basketball.

In regard to Lydon - in listening to that podcast I didn't really hear the loathing of JB that was implied, or the fan base. For me he is the most under appreciated guy we have had here in years and he would make a huge impact in the TBT if his skill set and conditioning are still good.

Not for very long
Just getting there for one game is tremendously difficult, and the window of opportunity to do so is quite small for all but the most transcendent talents. I begrudge no one for pursuing their goal of playing professionally in the NBA or elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think its important to remember that there are 7.6 billion people on Earth and only 450 play in the NBA. It is insanely difficult to make an NBA roster, and not making one doesn't mean you have somehow failed in the realm of professional basketball.

yep...always see the suggestion that a guy ONLY played for a couple of years in the nba therefore he made the wrong decision as the immediate sign to bounce from the debate. Insanely great players get cut for rosters every year.

yep...always see the suggestion that a guy ONLY played for a couple of years in the nba therefore he made the wrong decision as the immediate sign to bounce from the debate. Insanely great players get cut for rosters every year.
Also, guys used to get cut and have short careers even back when everyone stayed four years.

People forget that.

I absolutely loved my years at SU and wish I could sometimes go back, but college is only one part of life. For these guys being able to travel the world playing basketball and making some money can sound just as appealing if not more than playing for free.

I absolutely loved my years at SU and wish I could sometimes go back, but college is only one part of life. For these guys being able to travel the world playing basketball and making some money can sound just as appealing if not more than playing for free.

Thank you but at least you see an either or decision for some of these players. The allure of money right away of course is high especially in College but many players regret leaving early, some do not nor should they (See Ennis).

My point is not that they should have stayed but who is advising the kids to leave an why ? Many times these kids are taken advantage of and they are not armed with the full picture. College is also a once in a lifetime opportunity and no its not the same to go back at 26.

Often times people like Oshae could have delayed NBA another year and probably still ended up in the same place. Not true for all.

I never ever thought about leaving college early. Best 4 years ever. I also wasn't walking into the chance to, at minimum, make hundreds of thousands of dollars after college.

People have no clue what they are talking about with these type of threads. I'm sorry. One million dollars for a 21 year old? Not a lot? So sick of people who minimize that amount of money. It's an unbelievable and unfathomable start to essentially any career, and as noted, these guys go on to often play ball somewhere else.

Up to them to figure out the rest of their lives once basketball runs its course. One more year at Syracuse does nothing for that. Sorry. We also act like the decisions are simple. They are not. These guys certainly have many friends at Syracuse and great experiences they are moving on from, for something they decided was best.

Thank you but at least you see an either or decision for some of these players. The allure of money right away of course is high especially in College but many players regret leaving early, some do not nor should they (See Ennis).

My point is not that they should have stayed but who is advising the kids to leave an why ? Many times these kids are taken advantage of and they are not armed with the full picture. College is also a once in a lifetime opportunity and no its not the same to go back at 26.

Often times people like Oshae could have delayed NBA another year and probably still ended up in the same place. Not true for all.

probably their parents and/or guardians

Yeah, it's incredible. To play one solidary MINUTE in any NBA game in your life is absolutely crazy.

All due respect but i think your take on this is too simplistic.
I loved being at the Cuse- best years of my life! And part of the reason why is because i was dirt poor, hanging around other students in the same boat, and we grew together to become “responsible” adults. Nothing i love more then regale my kids & grands w/ tales of my Syracuse days. They all know why i love the place.
But, as a business major- if IBM had come along my sophomore year and offered me a million $ contract, dam right i would’ve left, as would anyone else, imo.
So why wouldn’t the athletes who are showcasing their skills for free, do the same thing?
My family wasn’t rich, and i bet most of those guys were in similar or worse situations financially.
Money, fulfilling a dream, taking advantage of an opportunity, and freedom. More than enough reasons to leave, the first chance they get!

Last edited:
I loved being at the Cuse- best years of my life! And part of the reason why is because i was dirt poor, hanging around other students in the same boat, and we grew together to become “responsible” adults. Nothing i love more then regale my kids & grands w/ tales of my Syracuse days. They all know why i love the place.
But, as a business major- if IBM had come along my sophomore year and offered me a million $ contract, dam right i would’ve left as would anyone else, imo.
So why wouldn’t the athletes who are showcasing their skills for free, do the same thing?
My family wasn’t rich, and i bet most of those guys were in similar or worse situations financially.
Money, fulfilling a dream, taking advantage of an opportunity, and freedom. Those are more than enough reasons to leave the first chance they get!
Business major? You mean, you’re not a doctor?

Not discussed here: What's the deal with disability insurance -concerns regarding claim payout?
Example: a soph is a projected 2nd round pick if they declare.
They love playing for their team and coach. The team is a solid Final Four pick for the following year. The FF experience and NC potential is important to the player, who also believes they can move up to a 1st round pick.
Therefore, they decide the NBA can wait, take out disability insurance to cover the 2nd round contract, and return.
Some need $ for their families ASAP, but others could have their cake and eat it too, with the risk managed by insurance?

Suppose Q is: What is experiencing March Madness and potentially winning the NC worth?
The happiest players I've ever witnessed were winning big games in March Madness.
NBA guys do have the $, cars, etc. Melo has had a great NBA career and made huge $.
-but I'll guess that 2003 was his happiest time hooping.

In regard to Lydon - in listening to that podcast I didn't really hear the loathing of JB that was implied, or the fan base. For me he is the most under appreciated guy we have had here in years and he would make a huge impact in the TBT if his skill set and conditioning are still good.

i listen to all of Devos podcasts. They’re great. Lydon is one of my favorite ones. I agree with you, I didn’t hear him say anything negative about JB, the fans or anyone except for what playing in the nba is like and it being a business. All I heard him keep saying about Jb was how he couldn’t believe he was learning b-ball from a legend. I don’t know how people got this negativity out of that podcast.

I never ever thought about leaving college early. Best 4 years ever. I also wasn't walking into the chance to, at minimum, make hundreds of thousands of dollars after college.

People have no clue what they are talking about with these type of threads. I'm sorry. One million dollars for a 21 year old? Not a lot? So sick of people who minimize that amount of money. It's an unbelievable and unfathomable start to essentially any career, and as noted, these guys go on to often play ball somewhere else.

Up to them to figure out the rest of their lives once basketball runs its course. One more year at Syracuse does nothing for that. Sorry. We also act like the decisions are simple. They are not. These guys certainly have many friends at Syracuse and great experiences they are moving on from, for something they decided was best.
Agreed, but woul

For those who have never read this.

But, as a business major- if IBM had come along my sophomore year and offered me a million $ contract, dam right i would’ve left, as would anyone else, imo.
Money, fulfilling a dream, taking advantage of an opportunity, and freedom. Those are more than enough reasons to leave the first chance they get!
Not too simplistic at all, as I mentioned my take on this is more in line with Matt Leinart and what he did when he stayed. He had more on the line as he was projected 1. Here was a great article on his thoughts back then

"
Matt Leinart's stunning, surprising and, really, almost stupefying decision last Friday to remain at USC and pass up millions of dollars from the pros seems to have gotten lost in the blur of the NFL playoffs. So let's return to it now, and try to figure out why so many people slammed Leinart for deciding to return to college — where he seems so happy. How crazy have we become that we think this kid is crazy?

Where is the praise for Matt Leinart for staying in school? All I read is criticism: How stupid is this kid? Look at all the money he's passing up. What if he gets hurt at USC next year, and he can't play anymore? Look at all the money he'll lose. What if he has a bad year and his draft position crumbles? Look at all the money he'll lose.

In The Post's story, some unnamed NFL executive said what just about everybody connected with the NFL — and everybody outside of USC was thinking: "Why risk it? There's too much money at stake."

All the criticism centers on money. Why? Because we're all so conditioned to players leaving school early to get the money that we think if you don't grab the money, you're doing something wrong; you're an imbecile. Don't you get it? Money is the reason you're playing! Oh.

Here's what Leinart had to say: "College football and this whole atmosphere here, and being with my fans and teammates . . . is ultimately more satisfying, and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy. The money isn't important to me. My teammates and being here is more important to me right now. This is the greatest time of my life. I'm close to home. My family, my friends, everyone's here."

i listen to all of Devos podcasts. They’re great. Lydon is one of my favorite ones. I agree with you, I didn’t hear him say anything negative about JB, the fans or anyone except for what playing in the nba is like and it being a business. All I heard him keep saying about Jb was how he couldn’t believe he was learning b-ball from a legend. I don’t know how people got this negativity out of that podcast.
Lyndon just ball faked again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom