Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

College basketball is a big business.
Coaches, schools make millions.
Kids who are the talent(unless they get bags and they should get bags) don’t receive any of that revenue.

As soon as a player can get paid they are going to go pro an overwhelming majority of the time.

These players play in programs that the coaches have objectives to win games not develop them their deficiencies for the pro game. If both go hand in hand good. College coaches aren’t going to develop their prospects better than pro coaches do.
The pro game is different from the college game.

I guess my question is for someone like Oshae would it
Sure for a year or two, but what happens if you can't stick in the league?

Agree I guess my question is do they take the money early because they lack the confidence that their game will develop and they could potentially be picked even higher or at the worst case the same?

One would think if they are confident in their game and their ability to stick it wouldn't matter if they stayed 1 more year while enjoying the college experience

Or are they so confident that they feel if they leave then they will stick in the league. People who say going to the NBA is so much better than college. Do you think playing for the Mad Ants in front of 500 people is ?

I'm not dogging these kids, I just don't think the decision is to definitely leave early like others do. If they think they will get drafted in the league and are confident then what does it matter. They will be picked either way if they wait another year.

Now someone like Tyler Ennis, his stock was never going to be higher. and it was smart for him to leave

Well said. As an SU fan, I'd love for them to have stayed in school and I wouldn't be that thrilled about the elimination of the transfer sitting out a year rule, to be honest. But that's strictly looking at it as an SU fan.

Looking at it objectively, a lot of these kids come from dramatically different backgrounds than myself and are going into a career that has a limited shelf life before you are too old to play, so do whatever you think is best for yourself and have fun while you can

Its not that I just want SU to be better, it's that if they had the confidence in their game they would think they would be drafter either way and could potentially stay to win a championship or have fun for one more year.

My opinion is many think that they should leave when the can because if might be their only shot. They lack the confidence that they will make it if they stay longer.

Jerami Grant was a stud out of DeMatha. He was a top 50 recruit.
He was a lot more well known than Oshae Brissett.
Grant would have been a first or second team all-America if he stayed another season.
He wanted to get paid to play basketball. He has done fine.

Brissett wasn’t going to get better playing another year of free basketball for Syracuse.

Brissett would've chucked up 3s while the team would've wanted him on the blocks a lot more, agree 100% there.

Reason #1, there is no reason to believe staying longer will allow you to develop to enhance your draft status, this is especially true for those borderline talents where a year 2, 3, 4 will do no more than exposing their weaknesses. Tyler Ennis made the right move. CJ Fair made the wrong move by staying too long.

Reason #2, many of them didn't exactly grow up with a silver spoon, they want to help their families sooner rather than later.

Reason #3, now more than ever, we have guys playing out of position. Lydon was playing as a 5, Marek is playing as a 5, what skills are you to develop doing that for another year?

Reason #4, and this one hasn't been mentioned yet and that is obvious, for someone to say to them "college is not going anywhere, the NBA is waiting, strike while the iron is hot, if it doesn't pan out in 5 years, you will only be 25 and you can still go back to college, by then you will have a better idea what you want anyways".

Reason #5, age. Your perspective at age 45 or 60 is different from someone at 19. Derrick Coleman said the best time of his life were his 4 years at the cuse and he wouldn't trade it for anything. That's him talking now. But if you rewind the clock back to 1987 and one and done was a thing, I bet he leaves after his freshman year after a trip to a championship game.

Last edited:
Reason #1, there is no reason to believe staying longer will allow you to develop to enhance your draft status, this is especially true for those borderline talents where a year 2, 3, 4 will do no more than exposing their weaknesses. Tyler Ennis made the right move. CJ Fair made the wrong move by staying too long.

Reason #2, many of them didn't exactly grow up with a silver spoon, they want to help their families sooner rather than later.

Reason #3, now more than ever, we have guys playing out of position. Lydon was playing as a 5, Marek is playing as a 5, what skills are you to develop doing that for another year?

Reason #4, and this one hasn't been mentioned yet and that is obvious, for someone to say to them "college is not going anywhere, the NBA is waiting, strike while the iron is hot, if it doesn't pan out in 5 years, you will only be 25 and you can still go back to college, by then you will have a better idea what you want anyways".

Reason #5, age. Your perspective at age 45 or 60 is different from someone at 19. Derrick Coleman said the best time of his life were his 4 years at the cuse and he wouldn't trade if for anything. That's him talking now. But if you rewind the click back to 1987 and one and done was a thing, I bet he leaves after his freshman year after a trip to a championship game.
DC got the best of both worlds he stayed 4 years was the bmoc and was the number 1 pick.

Reason #5, age. Your perspective at age 45 or 60 is different from someone at 19. Derrick Coleman said the best time of his life were his 4 years at the cuse and he wouldn't trade if for anything. That's him talking now. But if you rewind the click back to 1987 and one and done was a thing, I bet he leaves after his freshman year after a trip to a championship game.
Great summary, probably explains it the best

DC got the best of both worlds he stayed 4 years was the bmoc and was the number 1 pick.
But he was confident he would be drafted high regardless. He was a stud. Tough to say it but many of these kids are not real NBA talents to be honest and they need to get drafted when they can.

You get paid to play basketball play overseas.

Usually. Posted an Athletic article on the really large various experiences players have. You'll appreciate this - there's no union protecting players in Europe with their health and pay. Playing for Real Madrid looks awesome. Playing for some of these other places with a chain smoking head coach asking you to play though injuries not so much.

Usually. Posted an Athletic article on the really large various experiences players have. You'll appreciate this - there's no union protecting players in Europe with their health and pay. Playing for Real Madrid looks awesome. Playing for some of these other places with a chain smoking head coach asking you to play though injuries not so much.
Marek might like that...Smoke em if you got em

Maybe its because I am a 45 year old former D1 AA football player that never really had the chance to make any money at it (and often even sat the bench at Albany) but it does not make sense to me how these kids could throw away the amazing experience of college for a few more peanuts.

Matt Leinart is the model I would use if I was a basketball player as well. He said " College Life is too fun to give it up". Just think, each of these players were Big Man on Campus and everyone knew them. Girls all over them and everyone inviting them to parties. Their Basketball team friends did the same thing and they had 30k fans to watch them play in a huge stage.

They give it all up to end up playing for the Mad Ants or some team Internationally or may even be out of Basketball. What am I missing here in the equation. Is it the agents that get to them? I mean they are not exactly eating Ramen Noodles like I was in college and couch fishing for quarters to buy a 22 ounce Bud Ice at the convenient store.

What tempts them to leave early when in reality they know they will not play in the NBA?
Its always easiest to give away other people's money.

I’m not sure why people are mad at Brissett for leaving. Most people thought he leaving was addition by subtraction when it happened.

I guess my question is for someone like Oshae would it

Agree I guess my question is do they take the money early because they lack the confidence that their game will develop and they could potentially be picked even higher or at the worst case the same?

One would think if they are confident in their game and their ability to stick it wouldn't matter if they stayed 1 more year while enjoying the college experience

Or are they so confident that they feel if they leave then they will stick in the league. People who say going to the NBA is so much better than college. Do you think playing for the Mad Ants in front of 500 people is ?

I'm not dogging these kids, I just don't think the decision is to definitely leave early like others do. If they think they will get drafted in the league and are confident then what does it matter. They will be picked either way if they wait another year.

Now someone like Tyler Ennis, his stock was never going to be higher. and it was smart for him to leave
No one leaves for the NBA thinking they are not going to be a long term player, a champion, and eventually an All Star. You don't get to that level thinking everyone is better than you are.

I’m not sure why people are mad at Brissett for leaving. Most people thought he leaving was addition by subtraction when it happened.
I don't think many were, I wasn't, but he isn't in the league right now, so I think its easy to bring him up.

I don't think many were, I wasn't, but he isn't in the league right now, so I think its easy to bring him up.

Did you listen to Lydon‘s interview with Devendorf?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom