Petro To UNC | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Lol DEFCON 1 is the worst. Don’t feel bad I had to Google it to make sure.

I wonder what happened but honestly I think it’s for the best. There are a ton of good and capable options out there, but it’s for sure worrying that they are back at the starting line.

I wouldn't read it as "back at the starting line."

Just take McCabe off the list.

Wildhack is a big lax guy and is aware of how many SU lax alumni are out there. Wildhack was the one who made the call to move on from Desko. He's gonna give Gait plenty of time but he's playing closer attention then 99% of most D1 AD's for lax.
Another thing to add to this is SU is always #1 in lacrosse in these annual articles that syracuse.com does on how much we spend in each sport.

Admittedly, I can't find the recent one, but I know it hasn't changed since this one I linked was published. Of course it's not in the stratosphere of football spending. But when you are spending the most in the country, I feel confident ADJW keeps a close eye on lacrosse.

Last edited:

Stealing this from the Recruiting thread, list of coaches attending I thought were noteworthy -

• Ron Caputo, Duke
  • Pat March, Syracuse
  • Dave Pietramala, North Carolina
  • Kevin Unterstein, North Carolina
  • Chris Wojcik, Notre Dame
  • Logan Greco, Virginia
  • Jeremy Hirsch, Princeton
Getting into deranged SEC football fan territory here, but just highlights the awkwardness surrounding the timing of this hiring process. Obviously Petro seemed to be recruiting for the Orange one day and the next for UNC. Does it say something that some of these coaches are recruiting for their current teams? Does it say something that some aren't? Perhaps it says nothing at all.

Random that I didn't realize Greco was working for UVA. 3rd assistant?

SU website has removed Petro. Aquaviva is still listed as volunteer assistant but that could change any day. UNC website has not added Petro and still has Metzbower listed. It's the summer but kind of feels like this stuff matters.

Your point was that AD Wildhack is paying closer attention to the lacrosse program because we are spending heavily in lacrosse. My point was straightforward as well - spending the most doesn’t always guarantee results and then I gave you a parallel in a different industry.
I was more heading towards the idea that the higher the investment, the more results matter, as in winning enough games to make the NCAA.

And no, I am not saying Gait will or should be fired if we don't make it this coming season. But I agree with what Jeremy said earlier in the thread that year 4 will be critical. Results matter in the world.

And no, I'm not expecting another final 4 streak like we had, but regularly making the NCAA is a fair expectation for a program like ours.

Stealing this from the Recruiting thread, list of coaches attending I thought were noteworthy -

• Ron Caputo, Duke
  • Pat March, Syracuse
  • Dave Pietramala, North Carolina
  • Kevin Unterstein, North Carolina
  • Chris Wojcik, Notre Dame
  • Logan Greco, Virginia
  • Jeremy Hirsch, Princeton
Getting into deranged SEC football fan territory here, but just highlights the awkwardness surrounding the timing of this hiring process. Obviously Petro seemed to be recruiting for the Orange one day and the next for UNC. Does it say something that some of these coaches are recruiting for their current teams? Does it say something that some aren't? Perhaps it says nothing at all.

Random that I didn't realize Greco was working for UVA. 3rd assistant?

SU website has removed Petro. Aquaviva is still listed as volunteer assistant but that could change any day. UNC website has not added Petro and still has Metzbower listed. It's the summer but kind of feels like this stuff matters.
Wondering what event Coach Gait is attending.

Your point was that AD Wildhack is paying closer attention to the lacrosse program because we are spending heavily in lacrosse. My point was straightforward as well - spending the most doesn’t always guarantee results and then I gave you a parallel in a different industry.

The lacrosse spending is far more straighforward, in the understatement of the year.

curious when or what timeframe should we worry or start being concerned if haven’t hired or heard of new dc by then? Mean i know sometimes takes time to search but def want it before fallball clearly but also think sooner is better then later grant not rush it. Which is game in itself to figure out right balance of all that over. But should we hope for someone in next month next two? Just curious what everyone thinks best timeframe to hire someone or what timeframe if haven’t yet to start being concerned ?

Great read and takes all across the board here! I may have missed this point, but why do you think Petro ultimately left? If the main reason was so that he could coach his kids, why not have them transfer to SU? I assume that Gary and Petro had some kind of mutual respect or agreement that he would stay for a full 4-year recruiting cycle or something to that line. To abruptly leave and jump ship mid-summer certainly raises some eyebrows. Just curious on some takes as to why he really left...

no clue where this mccabe rumor came from but that was never a thing. i could have saved you all four pages of panic but i was at the beach this weekend ;)

Great read and takes all across the board here! I may have missed this point, but why do you think Petro ultimately left? If the main reason was so that he could coach his kids, why not have them transfer to SU? I assume that Gary and Petro had some kind of mutual respect or agreement that he would stay for a full 4-year recruiting cycle or something to that line. To abruptly leave and jump ship mid-summer certainly raises some eyebrows. Just curious on some takes as to why he really left...
the kids didnt transfer because they didnt want to.

no clue where this mccabe rumor came from but that was never a thing. i could have saved you all four pages of panic but i was at the beach this weekend ;)

the kids didnt transfer because they didnt want to.
So Lizzo is still a thing then?

Just for fun, you should randomly post nothing but a last name. If we got four pages out of “McCabe,” how many could we get out of “Caputo” or someone along those lines?

Last edited:
curious when or what timeframe should we worry or start being concerned if haven’t hired or heard of new dc by then? Mean i know sometimes takes time to search but def want it before fallball clearly but also think sooner is better then later grant not rush it. Which is game in itself to figure out right balance of all that over. But should we hope for someone in next month next two? Just curious what everyone thinks best timeframe to hire someone or what timeframe if haven’t yet to start being concerned ?

Hard to give a definite timeline for something like this.

It took UVA roughly 10 days to hire Cassese for their open OC job. That said it seems like Tiffany knew who he wanted to hire and had been thinking of a succession plan for a solid year when Kirwan was up for the Providence job.

Denver took something like three months to hire Metzbower. I have no idea what the machinations were behind that hire. Obviously I do not expect the SU hire to take nearly that long.

It took Maryland three weeks to hire Jake Bernhardt when Benson left for Providence.

I think the timing of this hire probably means that things need to happen a little faster than normal. It's been a little over a week. I think the UVA timeline would be the bare minimum and we aren't there yet. I think two weeks is kind of reasonable to expect an answer by, but that's just a guess!

Hard to give a definite timeline for something like this.

It took UVA roughly 10 days to hire Cassese for their open OC job. That said it seems like Tiffany knew who he wanted to hire and had been thinking of a succession plan for a solid year when Kirwan was up for the Providence job.

Denver took something like three months to hire Metzbower. I have no idea what the machinations were behind that hire. Obviously I do not expect the SU hire to take nearly that long.

It took Maryland three weeks to hire Jake Bernhardt when Benson left for Providence.

I think the timing of this hire probably means that things need to happen a little faster than normal. It's been a little over a week. I think the UVA timeline would be the bare minimum and we aren't there yet. I think two weeks is kind of reasonable to expect an answer by, but that's just a guess!
Sounds like Lars kept a list the way college football coaches keep lists of possible replacement coordinators. The way I read the story it’s almost like a living list. He keeps it current by checking in with the prospective hires to gauge their continuing interest should there be an opening. A due diligence that probably all head coaches should engage in.

First i've heard of Odierna.

Me too. Manhattan had a heck of a defense last year. Ranked 1st in defensive efficiency. This past year was his first as head coach for the Jaspers and he led them to the NCAA Tournament. He's still really young (graduated in 2011 from Gettysburg).

Strange phrasing in "names to consider". Doesn't want to call them finalists?

All three of these names would be really good choices, I think.

Me too. Manhattan had a heck of a defense last year. Ranked 1st in defensive efficiency. This past year was his first as head coach for the Jaspers and he led them to the NCAA Tournament. He's still really young (graduated in 2011 from Gettysburg).

Strange phrasing in "names to consider". Doesn't want to call them finalists?

All three of these names would be really good choices, I think.
Hoping Stevens gets it.

i dont know what "names to consider" means but that is not a list of finalists. one of those names has not even talked to cuse

Which one?

I'm guessing Odierna. It's been reported there has been "traction" with Caputo, and I think nyc said there had been contact between SU and Stevens.

Steven’s has been my clear cut #1 choice this whole time, I hope Gait picks him. Don’t ask me why, just a gut feeling that he will be amazing here. He will recruit his ass off and the kids will relate to/love playing for him.

With that being said, I don’t know much about Odierna, but reading his accolades in such a short time as head coach at Manhattan does make this intriguing.

Is Axe just talking out of his @$$? Because McCabe as the DC would make absolutely no sense to anyone with a brain. What world is he living in? Lol.

I'm guessing Odierna. It's been reported there has been "traction" with Caputo, and I think nyc said there had been contact between SU and Stevens.
my understanding is cuse may have reached out to stevens but he has yet to actually interview or speak with the school about the position formally

the process is very under wraps. my usual cuse guy doesnt really know whats going on so ive been asking around with the candidates' camps but there isnt much to go on right now. it seems to be moving slowly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom