Postgame Thoughts… Auburn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Auburn

I generally try to take every game with a big grain of salt - we usually aren’t as good as we look when everything is clicking, and not as bad as we look when things aren’t.

But…oh man, these early losses have magnified every concern you could’ve had about this team before the season began. I want to say that there’ll be some reversion to the mean, but I don’t see how you couldn’t have serious concerns at this point.

We will probably beat many teams worse than us, but probably lose to most teams better than us.

Too many turnovers with the back to the basket, which leads to….

…some of the worst transition D you can have.

End of half is a legit nightmare, still. Very odd stuff. Stunning the frequency.

Jesse is really playing fantastic. Great to see it.

Joe, Cole, Jimmy.. very easy for all to disappear for stretches on O. Not a good sign against high level comp.

The defense is...
MIA!!!!!

We will probably beat many teams worse than us, but probably lose to most teams better than us.

Too many turnovers with the back to the basket, which leads to….

…some of the worst transition D you can have.

End of half is a legit nightmare, still. Very odd stuff. Stunning the frequency.

Jesse is really playing fantastic. Great to see it.

Joe, Cole, Jimmy.. very easy for all to disappear for stretches on O. Not a good sign against high level comp.

The defense is...
The scarier thing is we may lose to many teams worse then us. 0-2 already. Drexel was up at the half too.

I’ll never understand the media members and fans thinking this might be a top 25 team. It just never made sense barring someone like Buddy turning into a superstar all of a sudden.

They still think the strong finished the previous season carry over, same thing happened in 2016 and 2018

Lost both half's defensively, won first half offensively. 1-4.

We play zone, and haven't had a 6'7 1/2 long wingspan guy who can stay infront of his man uptop for 15 mpg since the dawn of creation. He could even play center on offense for all I care. The better defense teams have one every year.

Want to see Jimmy or Cole back Girard up in the 4-5 games where we play really tall athletic teams like tonight. That number 10 on auburn gave me otto porter flashbacks.

1 rebound by our 2 and 3 forwards.

Problem is he can’t shoot and had a few passes that were way off today.

That’s not actually a problem. It’s better to have a QB and distributer at PG than a scorer. People are obsessed with him not being a scorer for some reason (though he did hit a 3). Simms didn’t score much either. Symir had a couple of mistakes, yes, but he’ll improve (hopefully) with minutes and getting into the flow. He pushes tempo, controls tempo, looks to involve everyone, and my favorite, his eyes are up while he’s dribbling facing the pressure. Joe (and buddy for that matter) has to dribble with his back to the pressure because he can’t handle it. Symir can dribble by people to, (Joe couldn’t dribble by that guy today) and Symir can get into the hole if he wants. All this stuff seems fairly obvious to me. He just needs minutes and to be able to play a bit loose, maybe the keys handed to him.

The one on one offense is just junk. Why do Joe and Buddy grab a rebound, not push the ball up court, instead wait until it’s 5 on 5 and then bring the ball up and just lunch a 24 footer anyways. Swider, Buddy and Joe all got rebounds today, dribbled the length of the floor, did not make one pass, and then did some crazy one on drive (again never even having passed the ball one time.). You don’t get this with Symir. He’s actually trying to run an offense.

jimmy was ooped on 6 times today, literrally. Legs gave out. Luckily outside of the acc tourney, he -robably wouldnt have to play 3 days in a row all year again. Hold your head up Cuse.

The defense is horrendous not just because the 2 guards at the top are slow footed ... the 2 starting forwards are slow footed also. So it's no wonder perimeter shots are so open all over the place.

Folks auburn showed you how you play defense when you have an athletic advantage over your opponent. You don’t give them an inch of space . Every forward movement is contested . No ground uncontested . It has a cumulative effect on your opponents such that even when they do find themselves open , they see ghosts and hurry their actions …

You don’t just stand around on D and do jumping jacks

3 lineups I would like to see, depending on the situation.
Buddy Cole, Jimmy, Benny,Edwards.
Symir Joe Buddy Edwards + Jimmy/Cole.
Edwards + Frank/Ajax together (whoever rebounds better).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom