Postgame Thoughts… Auburn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Auburn

The defense is horrendous not just because the 2 guards at the top are slow footed ... the 2 starting forwards are slow footed also. So it's no wonder perimeter shots are so open all over the place.
I mean, it’s so basic and yet our HOF coach couldn’t see it coming from miles away.

That’s not actually a problem. It’s better to have a QB and distributer at PG than a scorer. People are obsessed with him not being a scorer for some reason (though he did hit a 3). Simms didn’t score much either. Symir had a couple of mistakes, yes, but he’ll improve (hopefully) with minutes and getting into the flow. He pushes tempo, controls tempo, looks to involve everyone, and my favorite, his eyes are up while he’s dribbling facing the pressure. Joe (and buddy for that matter) has to dribble with his back to the pressure because he can’t handle it. Symir can dribble by people to, (Joe couldn’t dribble by that guy today) and Symir can get into the hole if he wants. All this stuff seems fairly obvious to me. He just needs minutes and to be able to play a bit loose, maybe the keys handed to him.

The one on one offense is just junk. Why do Joe and Buddy grab a rebound, not push the ball up court, instead wait until it’s 5 on 5 and then bring the ball up and just lunch a 24 footer anyways. Swider, Buddy and Joe all got rebounds today, dribbled the length of the floor, did not make one pass, and then did some crazy one on drive (again never even having passed the ball one time.). You don’t get this with Symir. He’s actually trying to run an offense.
If Jim wanted to shake things up and give Symir a chance, be my guest. I think he’s a bad basketball player and Jim wasn’t willing to play a good one ahead of Joe last year so I don’t think there’s a real reason to think it’ll ever happen for Symir. No doubt he’s more athletic and can handle the ball better than the other guys on the roster. But he also doesn’t need to be guarded and isn’t a talented passer or defender either.

I do think one simple fix Boeheim could install would be mixing up the rotations. He generally goes all offense with the starting lineup and then puts all our non shooters on the floor together and is confused why the former can’t get stops and the latter can’t score points.

JB has a very high coaching acumen, guy is a hall of famer but this roster was not constructed anywhere closed to what it should or could have been and should be questioned heavily by the few people who actually can.

Whoah whoah you’re not allowed to do that!

I am optimistic that this tournament helps them figure it out. Those were three very tough games. The emergence of Jessie is positive. Jimmy is going to be the wild card. When he plays ok to well then we got a shot. But when he looks as bad as a freshman we will be in trouble. I like Symir in for Joe, and wouldn’t mind an experiment where Joe is 6th man in. Gotta figure out the D. The offense is there.

He’s a beast. Excited to watch him this year. Great talent again in this draft.
Let’s see if my rockets can mess this pick up too and draft another springy guard with no clue how to actually play

If Jim wanted to shake things up and give Symir a chance, be my guest. I think he’s a bad basketball player and Jim wasn’t willing to play a good one ahead of Joe last year so I don’t think there’s a real reason to think it’ll ever happen for Symir. No doubt he’s more athletic and can handle the ball better than the other guys on the roster. But he also doesn’t need to be guarded and isn’t a talented passer or defender either.

I do think one simple fix Boeheim could install would be mixing up the rotations. He generally goes all offense with the starting lineup and then puts all our non shooters on the floor together and is confused why the former can’t get stops and the latter can’t score points.
When JB takes Buddy, Jesse and Swider out at the same time you can bet we're going to have a scoring drought. I can't see why he keeps taking all the scoring off the court at the same time.

And on top of that, everyone waits for the shot to hit the rim before they start positioning themselves for rebounds.
I was thinking today that our instincts on shots are abysmal. We simply don’t react quickly enough and are constantly out positioned.

when the sweet 16 ended, a bunch of way too early polls pegged us as a top 20 team heading into next season. Then we promptly lost our best ball handler and driver AND the entire forward rotation (4 players) and proceeded to replace them with…a pretty good Ivy League player, Nova’s sixth or seventh man and one unproven freshman. The roster management is…suspect.

Auburn is an uber athletic well coached team. Not something for us to hang our hats on IMO. Our talent/athleticism compared to most teams we play moving forward will be much better than ours. It’s a sad reality but one nonetheless.

Jim wasn’t willing to play a good one ahead of Joe last year so I don’t think there’s a real reason to think it’ll ever happen for Symir.
there are definite off court reasons a “good one” didn’t play over jg3

Buddy took a few rediculous shots today. One in the lane early against the pressure he way short armed it as his mind wasnt on the shot, and he had a wild ridiculous turnaround late. Didn't matter, but two we could lived without.

And on top of that, everyone waits for the shot to hit the rim before they start positioning themselves for rebounds.
This is a good point. When we don't rebound, everyone is staring at the ball and it's too late at that point.

Buddy took a few rediculous shots today. One in the lane early against the pressure he way short armed it as his mind wasnt on the shot, and he had a wild ridiculous turnaround late. Didn't matter, but two we could lived without.
Usually I agree with these attempts but honestly, I don’t care. Let him take them.

Someone who wins in fundamentals trumps someone who loses with athleticism. That's what makes college ball great.

Let’s see if my rockets can mess this pick up too and draft another springy guard with no clue how to actually play
Jabari Smith reminds me a bit of Jayson Tatum - a great shooter from anywhere and very long and athletic. Any team that passes on him in the draft might regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom