Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

Wasn't sure which board to post this on, feel free to move if this is the wrong one.

I agree with most of the observations here: He'll do wonders for our running attack. I'm not sure how much he upgrades our passing attack. Despite his 'long' wind-up and follow through, he seems to get passes off quickly enough. I think he throws the sideline pass better than Dungy, who tended to float them out there. But GS's accuracy on the long pass seems to be an adventure. Sometimes he doesn't get enough air under them. The big thing is that he can create on the run, which Tommy, (and Rex) can't . He'll make good plays Tommy wouldn't have made and he'll make bad plays Tommy wouldn't make.

He's not a 'savior'. he another guy in the mix, the 4 star we needed to recruit after Tommy to compete with him and back him up and have the inside track on being "the next guy". And the next guy could still be named Morgan, Markiewicz or Lamson. the competition in the spring and fall should be fun.

Don't you wish all highlight films looked like this? Warts and all, baby! This is what the coaches see. The fans see You-Tube and HUDL videos in which a guy looks like the next Tom Brady or Steph Curry- all the passes are complete and all the shots go in. I think you can probably tell more from the plays that don't work than the ones that do.

Last edited:
Labral issues much like meniscus injuries and tears are usually completely recoverable with no adverse effects post healing. If the surgery was successful they really should not be any concerns much like somebody I always refer back to when Terrence Roberts tore his meniscus.

I mention meniscus because both it and the labrum’s in the shoulder and hip are composed of something called fibrocartilage, which is a much stronger, Tougher and more resilient tissue than the cartilage that lines bones, hyaline cartilage.

And we’re not talking ligament injuries either with those softer and more delicate tissues which hold the joints together so the integrity of the joints should be 100% fine and normal, nor with any adverse effects on the usability of the joint and the neuromuscular components around it.

In other words I think it should be a non-issue coming here to Syracuse, range of motion should be 100%, and there should be no restrictions. It was probably injured in one incident or two and not from overuse so that means to me he should be OK going forward with the amount of throwing a quarterback does, Especially with the fact, as someone mentioned here, he did not do a lot of throwing in the last year.
Oh what do you know?

I see this kid helping no matter what and that is needed here. But I do believe you will have a combination of TD and GS when Mr. Lamson gets here. ( yes I know its not his thread) lol Merry Christmas.

He's not a 'savior'. he another guy in the mix, the 4 star we needed to recruit after Tommy to compete with him and back him up and have the inside track on being "the next guy". And the next guy could still be named Morgan, Markiewicz or Lamson. the competition in the spring and fall should be fun.

Personally, I prefer savior and over reacting. Especially after a 1 win season.

I think its important to keep in mind this kid played WR last year so he hasn't gotten any QB reps in for quite a while, there will likely be some rust. Between that, the new play book and the time it takes to develop chemistry with the WR and team, im leaning towards guessing that TD ends up retaining his job. That said, I expect him to push TD for the spot and I hope to see him on the field at some point in the year even if its just for special packages.

He's def a guy who plays like Eric Dungey. The good, the bad and the ugly.

If you think back to the Clemson win, remember it was getting Eric to play within what we were trying to do most of the time and then letting him gut out some runs late. I'd guess with a guy who runs this hot, it will be about getting him to make the reads, take the check downs, etc.

I'm optimistic that he'll mature and that Sterlin will be able to get him in situations that will get us points.

I'm amped that we have two guys who can get us wins in the ACC.
But this kid will have some pieces, like Tucker, Jordan, Hough, and Lutz that Eric didn't have. If a couple of the big receivers work out the offense could be nasty again.

But this kid will have some pieces, like Tucker, Jordan, Hough, and Lutz that Eric didn't have. If a couple of the big receivers work out the offense could be nasty again.

Here’s to hoping you’re right.

I think Holler is gonna become a fan favorite. Hes Kin by the 4th game.

Yup. Good and bad. People have to realize that he is not a finished product. Its gonna take some coaching to get him to play at a level where he needs to be. He plays like a Wr that can throw. We have to get him at the level where he is more consistent with his throws. He is definitely the opposite of TD. Tommy's throws look awesome. JS's throwing motion is ugly but it gets there. The difference is that JS can do other things to extend drives. I had no confidence on 3rd and 15's with TD. The play was over if we didnt get the right look or if the line broke down. With this kid, he can make a throw on the run to keep the chains moving.
Agreed

He'll be here for the Spring. That is huge.

The schedule at this moment appears to have an all OOC September. I could see TD and GS playing in those games. By the time October rolls around we'll have our QB.

Dungey thinks he needs to more careful with his body when running
;)
Yeah, for sure. I use to think, man I've never seen one player take bigger hits over the course of his career than Dungey. GS has a shot.

One of the most amazing parts of the "helicopter" hit he took was, despite falling from that height (7 feet?) without a chance to brace himself as he fell, he still tried to reach for the 1st down line after bouncing off the turf. That's one tough MF. The Dome is going to love him.

Not to be a debbie downer but..there has been talk here that he didn't come here to sit. Okay, how many P-5 schools could he go to where he would be given a shot at QB next year? He played WR this year.

Not to be a debbie downer but..there has been talk here that he didn't come here to sit. Okay, how many P-5 schools could he go to where he would be given a shot at QB next year? He played WR this year.

Well considering Virginia Tech and Louisville also wanted him as a transfer QB I'm guessing at least 3 including SU.

Yeah...let's pump the brakes a bit. I can see him backing up Devito this coming season which is a great thing. Maybe Tommy moves on after next year and Shrader becomes the #1 QB in 2022.
No brake pumping!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom