Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

Not to be a debbie downer but..there has been talk here that he didn't come here to sit. Okay, how many P-5 schools could he go to where he would be given a shot at QB next year? He played WR this year.
At least a few, but point taken. One the other hand, we recruited him out of HS, Gilbert led the recruiting this time, he has starting experience in the SEC, experience in a similar spread style offense, freaky and fearless athlete. He's going to get a chance to be QB1, no worse than QB2. Not sure we could ask for much more than that. And...did you see that beard?

At least a few, but point taken. One the other hand, we recruited him out of HS, Gilbert led the recruiting this time, he has starting experience in the SEC, experience in a similar spread style offense, freaky and fearless athlete. He's going to get a chance to be QB1, no worse than QB2. Not sure we could ask for much more than that. And...did you see that beard?
I'm very glad he is coming here. My only point was that people were saying he isn't coming here to sit. He even said it. And the fact is, there weren't a lot of schools pounding on the door for him to come in and compete for the starting job. Glad he is here but it isn't like Ian Book transferred here.

Yes, good points. The good thing is that JS can throw the quick game pretty accurately. Its the longer throws he has to improve. He gives us more options within a play because of his run ability. He makes the defense play honest
JS. Isn't it GS.

Well considering Virginia Tech and Louisville also wanted him as a transfer QB I'm guessing at least 3 including SU.
he was going to compete for a starting job right off the jump at Va Tech and the Ville?

Now that I've watched some of his plays, I think we'd be smart to at the very least have some scripted series and packages ready to go for him. The dude is a cannonball as a runner.

I say we get weird and have 2 QBs on the field when we're with goal to go.

Not to be a debbie downer but..there has been talk here that he didn't come here to sit. Okay, how many P-5 schools could he go to where he would be given a shot at QB next year? He played WR this year.
Probably more than we think.

I'm very glad he is coming here. My only point was that people were saying he isn't coming here to sit. He even said it. And the fact is, there weren't a lot of schools pounding on the door for him to come in and compete for the starting job. Glad he is here but it isn't like Ian Book transferred here.
Yeah, I agree with all that. He is definitely not an Ian Book, nor will he competing against an Ian Book. We needed to find a kid skilled enough to compete for QB1 and confident enough to take the risk that it won't be handed to him. I think it's a big positive that he's telling everyone he isn't coming here to sit. May the best man win.

I think people are predicting he will start at some point next year based on what he's shown so far and what Gilbert is trying to do with the offense. I dont think many are saying he's the next Lamar Jackson. I like people being excited on this forum. It was getting depressing on here. We have lots of time to temper expectations this off season lol.

Good and bad but announcers mentioned heart, determination and toughness. He was always trying to make a play. Seemed OL collapsed a lot but he made plays. Not going to constantly go deep which is a good thing. Nothing wrong with short to intermediate passes mixed in with qb run to keep the chains moving. That is not something we have been able to do the last two years.
Agreed...and people need to keep in mind that he was a true frosh QB playing against SEC defenses. He will definitely have a shot at significant PT.

Perfect mechanics and strong arms are useless if you don't have a feel for the game. This kid is a player.

We know who he was considering. We don't know who contacted him.

Anyone who says, "player X isn't transferring here to sit", is stating the obvious. If someone can find a transfer who's transferring to a new school to sit then we've probably found the first transfer in history who's transferring someplace to sit.

Yeah, for sure. I use to think, man I've never seen one player take bigger hits over the course of his career than Dungey. GS has a shot.

One of the most amazing parts of the "helicopter" hit he took was, despite falling from that height (7 feet?) without a chance to brace himself as he fell, he still tried to reach for the 1st down line after bouncing off the turf. That's one tough MF. The Dome is going to love him.
Kinda disappointed that he didn't lateral in mid-air.

If this guy doesn’t remind you of Eric Dungey, I don’t know who will
I see Josh Allen as a Bills rookie (2018).

He's never going to become Josh Allen-All Pro at SU, but if those are the tools S. Gilbert has to work with, he might just be a top-4 ACC QB at SU in years 2 and/or 3.

Kinda disappointed that he didn't lateral in mid-air.
Agreed. I have serious questions about his downfield vision. His OL was wide open as he was making his second horizontal rotation 8 feet in the air. Coulda gotten another 1-2 yards there.

This is the crazy play

He looks like a Dungey clone. Maybe a little faster. We're probably going to have to have a backup ready to go because there is no way he makes it a whole season without at least getting severely dinged.

I also see him being a lightning rod throughout this board and fanbase. Like Dungey, he's going to have his pulling our hair out at times, because he is going to throw some INT's, miss open guys, and take hits he shouldn't be taking. He seems to be a gamer like Dungey, and want to get every yard as possible, which the other half of the fanbase will love. He seems a perfect fit.

He has a beard? I only noticed jean shorts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom