Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

I really liked his film, especially the LSU game. I may be mistaken, but this was the LSU team that won the National Championship. His offensive line was not as bad as ours and it was against SEC teams and was his freshman year. All considered, we got a good one with the same mind set as Dungey. Let the competition begin.

[
1608594502969.jpeg

His offers out of HS were absolutely insane. How leach of all people moved him to WR is insane. Can’t wait to see this kid in action
Watch his Miss St games and you'll figure out why. Trust Leach as a QB talent judge.

This is Fing Huge! What does this say to Tommy. Garrett's going to get immediate eligibility due to the new rule. He's not coming here to sit.
He's a WR

he was going to compete for a starting job right off the jump at Va Tech and the Ville?

No he was going to go there to hand out cups of Gatorade.

Now that I've watched some of his plays, I think we'd be smart to at the very least have some scripted series and packages ready to go for him. The dude is a cannonball as a runner.

I say we get weird and have 2 QBs on the field when we're with goal to go.

He scarily reminds me of Dungey running the ball and not in a good way. I love the aggressiveness but hopefully in his year off from QB'ing he's learned to slide lol. We need a QB that can man the ship for an entire season not 6-8 games.

This is the crazy play
Loved the tape!
1. As a true frosh in the SEC very impressive.
2. Every play will be worth watching. We will not be boring
3. Throws the short stuff well; move the chains. Fewer 3 and outs.
4. He’s not gonna moan about having a leaky OL.
5. runs more like Tebow than ED. The size will have DBs looking to take a dive. The size will serve him well on the injury front.
6. He did have better receivers though.
7. Can we bring in Morehead too?

Only watched a couple of minutes. 2 things of note. No way he lasts a whole year he is reckless with his body. And Mississippi state have real receivers he will need to adjust to our talent levels.
He has good athletic talent probably more than Devito, but he also had major ball security issues. Lets hope he can correct those issues.

A couple of things:
  • He’s used to bad pass protection, so that’s encouraging. Some of those plays his OL looked like they were still in their stance until after he threw the ball.
  • He has a hitch in his throwing motion. He taps the ball to his left hand right before he winds up. Fixing that is one step to speeding his ball up.
  • Looks like a decent runner. Doesn’t have the same control as Dungey did. He seems to have one speed (which is fast).
  • I’m not too worried about hitting the deep ball with his long motion. He’s not going to be putting the air under the ball the way TD does, but that’s okay. Moving around and being comfortable outside the pocket helps get receivers open.
  • I think Tommy will still be the starter next year, but Shrader will get some good run one way or another.

Watch his Miss St games and you'll figure out why. Trust Leach as a QB talent judge.

he was recruited by Moorhead who knows a thing or two about QB play as well, he was also recruited to run a different system. leech definitely has a type of qb that he likes, and yeah probably more of an efficient pro style passer with better accuracy but that doesn’t mean Shrader can’t be succesful as a duel threat QB running Dinos‘ system much like Dungey did. I’m not guaranteeing anything but to just make a statement like he’s a WR is selling kid way short, IMO and I love Leech but he’s run off some talent in his day too, he’s not for everybody

Leach runs the air raid. He isn’t interested in dual threat QBs. They do not use RPOs like Dino's scheme does. Mike values a QB who has a strong, accurate arm and makes good decisions quickly. Schrader is a bad fit for his offense; a big part of his skill set is wasted.

For the Babers offense, I think is has become evident that a dual threat QB helps to compensate for a weak OL that can’t pass block or run block well, and WRs who struggle some to get open. Dungey was never super accurate with his throws but he didn’t need to be with his ability to extend plays and put pressure on defenses.

Anyway, there are reasons a player is a good fit for one system and not a good fit for another. Maybe you should give him a chance in our system before casting judgement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom