Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

Yeah. That throwing motion needs work, but if there’s one thing we’ve seen in the past 4 years, having a chain mover > throwing pretty passes.

Our RBs and WRs need to keep their eyes open, kid flips the ball whenever.

he is a big sturdy dude. He will truck a ton of ACC DBs.

Also, this man is a gun slinger. He’s going to have turnovers for sure. Especially with some of the wild passes that he does. But he doesn’t back down and he’s not afraid of getting hit.

This could be a really good pick up

He's def a guy who plays like Eric Dungey. The good, the bad and the ugly.

If you think back to the Clemson win, remember it was getting Eric to play within what we were trying to do most of the time and then letting him gut out some runs late. I'd guess with a guy who runs this hot, it will be about getting him to make the reads, take the check downs, etc.

I'm optimistic that he'll mature and that Sterlin will be able to get him in situations that will get us points.

I'm amped that we have two guys who can get us wins in the ACC.

We just need him to be a solid upgrade over Rex for now, he still needs time to develop but he's got the tools to be another Dungey
This is a healthy way to look at it.

Ideally DeVito and Shrader (and the rest of the QBs) all elevate their game, but one important bar to surpass on the way to improving depth was getting someone that can outperform Rex as the backup. It looks like at the least, Shrader can do that.

Good and bad but announcers mentioned heart, determination and toughness. He was always trying to make a play. Seemed OL collapsed a lot but he made plays. Not going to constantly go deep which is a good thing. Nothing wrong with short to intermediate passes mixed in with qb run to keep the chains moving. That is not something we have been able to do the last two years.

I hope he plays, seems like the kind of QB you need to have if the line is going to suck. Anything to get us off this year's pattern. 5 yard hitch, short cross, bomb down the sideline. There was a lot of... Not that in the video. Whenever Tommy rolls out, a throw out of bounds is the best case scenario. It just seemed like every time the play broke down, with all the QB's this year, bad things happened. With this guy it was 50-50

Based on the long throwing motion, SEC experience, improvisation and truck stick ability, I'm going to say that Shrader is a poor man's Tim Tebow.

Yep. I mean he is ED 2.0. Similar play style, throws aren't s e xy but gets it there. People need to understand that there are typically trade offs when going dual threat. Anyone expecting your dual threat to spin the ball like TD has unrealistic expectations. Shrader will likely never throw it like TD. The tradeoff is Shrader gives DCs headaches for scrambling, elusiveness and non traditional play making. I mean on one play Shrader ran it 10 yards then pitched it. Lol. Shrader instantly takes some stress off the line in my opinion. Then again if the staff goes to the quick style offense we saw against ND, TD can succeed with that. Its going to be interesting.
Yes, good points. The good thing is that JS can throw the quick game pretty accurately. Its the longer throws he has to improve. He gives us more options within a play because of his run ability. He makes the defense play honest

Yes, good points. The good thing is that JS can throw the quick game pretty accurately. Its the longer throws he has to improve. He gives us more options within a play because of his run ability. He makes the defense play honest

And he makes them adjust to come up and stop the run, which is going to open holes for guys downfield when he scrambles.

I agree with earlier comment. Shrader’s arrival and landing Lamson is a direct result of Gilbert joining staff. We simply couldn’t get a quality QB with a HS guy coaching the position. That’s why we have no depth.
I think Shrader is a huge get for us. VERY excited to have him in the room and I hope he’s starting by week 1

Let’s hold off a little. I remember a four star transfer named Drew and he got beat out by Hunt.

While I agree that we can’t go overboard, this is a very important get.

Drew Allen was a 5th year senior - he needed to be immediately ready to produce. And he had never really gotten on the field before then.

This kid has already been reasonably productive as a true freshman in the SEC, and has 3 years left to get better. If he’s not ready next year, he at least gives us a talented backup with time and 2 more years to develop into the main guy.

Big time get for depth and competition purposes this year at a minimum and might be the long term answer beyond this year.

I agree with earlier comment. Shrader’s arrival and landing Lamson is a direct result of Gilbert joining staff. We simply couldn’t get a quality QB with a HS guy coaching the position. That’s why we have no depth.
I think Shrader is a huge get for us. VERY excited to have him in the room and I hope he’s starting by week 1
Exactly why we didnt get the Fortin kid last year.

Tommy’s more polished and has years in the system. Tempering my expectations with Shrader.

All true.

That said, we thought the same about Terrel Hunt.
And then he got injured, and the Eric Dungey show debuted a LOT sooner than expected.

This guy reminds me a lot of Dungey in that he loves to improvise and doesn’t shy away from contact. Super good athlete, whose arm doesn’t wow you but he can still make some good throws. He needs to take care of the ball better when improvising, plays a little too fast and loose. With our line, his improve skills are going to help us out a lot. Also, was his defense any good? Looks like they let up a lot of points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom