Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

Watched his HS tape...I’ve never seen a longer follow through on a QB. Very whippy...it’s like watching Gossage throw heat. Maybe that’s why he hurt his arm in HS.

Watched his HS tape...I’ve never seen a longer follow through on a QB. Very whippy...it’s like watching Gossage throw heat. Maybe that’s why he hurt his arm in HS.

Just watched that too. He's the anti-Tommy. Mechanics aren't close, but the days of pocket's collapsing, run to the right and just throw the ball a mile out of bounds would be over. So many plays in there where he just made something happen out of nothing, always keeping eyes downfield. It's his X factor in the battle.

We're just bringing this kid in for spare parts to keep everyone else healthy. :rolleyes:
Labral issues much like meniscus injuries and tears are usually completely recoverable with no adverse effects post healing. If the surgery was successful they really should not be any concerns much like somebody I always refer back to when Terrence Roberts tore his meniscus.

I mention meniscus because both it and the labrum’s in the shoulder and hip are composed of something called fibrocartilage, which is a much stronger, Tougher and more resilient tissue than the cartilage that lines bones, hyaline cartilage.

And we’re not talking ligament injuries either with those softer and more delicate tissues which hold the joints together so the integrity of the joints should be 100% fine and normal, nor with any adverse effects on the usability of the joint and the neuromuscular components around it.

In other words I think it should be a non-issue coming here to Syracuse, range of motion should be 100%, and there should be no restrictions. It was probably injured in one incident or two and not from overuse so that means to me he should be OK going forward with the amount of throwing a quarterback does, Especially with the fact, as someone mentioned here, he did not do a lot of throwing in the last year.

Last edited:
I wonder if Shrader committing says more about Gilbert as a recruiter/QB coach than anything about Tommy. Maybe he’s going to bring in 4* ballers every year and let them fight it out.

Shrader didn’t come to SU the first time, maybe the bbq and southern twang sealed the deal

You forgot the biggest reason. You haven't see Garrett play. We can give the new guy who we haven't seen any value we want. He has yet to disappoint us. Happens in every sport. The new guy always solves all of our problems, until he doesn't. #4 There is no way he was told he was the favorite. I'm sure he was told that he could compete for the job. He didn't even play QB this year and we are going to tell him that he is our favorite to start at QB when we have a two year starter coming back? I don't believe that for a second. On the other hand, we might be the best situation he could find himself at after his lack of success at MSU. I doubt there was another P-5 school that would tell him that he has as good a shot as he has at Syracuse.

Much like a new coach as well. I think we wind up seeing the kid play quite a but but I agree with you

Let’s hold off a little. I remember a four star transfer named Drew and he got beat out by Hunt.
I agree we need to hold off a little, but weren't the players you mentioned a couple regimes ago? He said Dino.

Only watched a couple of minutes. 2 things of note. No way he lasts a whole year he is reckless with his body. And Mississippi state have real receivers he will need to adjust to our talent levels.

Wasn't sure which board to post this on, feel free to move if this is the wrong one.
Non expert quick thoughts:
-More than adequate arm, though has a long wind up
-Deep accuracy is poor and I don't think he sees everyone downfield at all, but he looks ok on short to intermediate passes.
-He lacks touch, he is going to need some help from the WR's. He will definitely give them chances if they keep working to get open though.
-Feels pressure pretty well and will make teams pay for getting too far up field with his legs. Looks like the kind of runner that will absolutely punish our peer ACC defenses with both designed runs and scrambles.
-Excellent runner, but has a death wish, prime candidate to miss 3 games per year
-Will probably makes some awesome plays. will also be good for at least 1 what the phluck turnover per game.
-I see why Leach didn't want him as a QB

Watched quite a bit of video and yeah he isn't perfect but what I don't see is hesitation which I see a lot of in TD. When things go south TD panics and wont get rid of the ball whereas Shraders first instincts seem to be run which might not be right all the time either but does it with authority and tries to make plays.

Last edited:
Lots of good AND bad in that video above.
Yup. Good and bad. People have to realize that he is not a finished product. Its gonna take some coaching to get him to play at a level where he needs to be. He plays like a Wr that can throw. We have to get him at the level where he is more consistent with his throws. He is definitely the opposite of TD. Tommy's throws look awesome. JS's throwing motion is ugly but it gets there. The difference is that JS can do other things to extend drives. I had no confidence on 3rd and 15's with TD. The play was over if we didnt get the right look or if the line broke down. With this kid, he can make a throw on the run to keep the chains moving.

Yup. Good and bad. People have to realize that he is not a finished product. Its gonna take some coaching to get him to play at a level where he needs to be. He plays like a Wr that can throw. We have to get him at the level where he is more consistent with his throws. He is definitely the opposite of TD. Tommy's throws look awesome. JS's throwing motion is ugly but it gets there. The difference is that JS can do other things to extend drives. I had no confidence on 3rd and 15's with TD. The play was over if we didnt get the right look or if the line broke down. With this kid, he can make a throw on the run to keep the chains moving.

Agreed. And while a lot of it was ugly, it's also important to note that he was making plays against Bama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, etc.

He's battle tested, and shouldn't have trouble producing against the ACC.

Yeah...let's pump the brakes a bit. I can see him backing up Devito this coming season which is a great thing. Maybe Tommy moves on after next year and Shrader becomes the #1 QB in 2022.

Last edited:
Agreed. And while a lot of it was ugly, it's also important to note that he was making plays against Bama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, etc.

He's battle tested, and shouldn't have trouble producing against the ACC.
Absolutely and doing it as a true frosh too

Yep. I mean he is ED 2.0. Similar play style, throws aren't sexy but gets it there. People need to understand that there are typically trade offs when going dual threat. Anyone expecting your dual threat to spin the ball like TD has unrealistic expectations. Shrader will likely never throw it like TD. The tradeoff is Shrader gives DCs headaches for scrambling, elusiveness and non traditional play making. I mean on one play Shrader ran it 10 yards then pitched it. Lol. Shrader instantly takes some stress off the line in my opinion. Then again if the staff goes to the quick style offense we saw against ND, TD can succeed with that. Its going to be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom