Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

If Tommy has a great yr still a need for a high end guy. We may find we want to run a bit more with the QB and many Tommy starts and he plays some situational stuff..

If Tommy has a great yr still a need for a high end guy. We may find we want to run a bit more with the QB and many Tommy starts and he plays some situational stuff..
Maybe some special situation two quarterback set plays would be fun !!!

Interesting to see posters line up to support their chosen guy throughout this thread.

My philosophy is: may the best player win. If Tommy gets pushed [similar to how Dungey was pushed in 2018] and it causes him to elevate his game, that's good for the program. And if new guy Shrader beats him out because Tommy doesn't show improvement over his current level of play, that's good for the program. And overarching all of that, it is rare for a QB to make it through the year, so having two starting caliber QBs is needed.

And I wouldn't count out Morgan, who got a big dose of PT. Not sure how good he is, or whether he's "good enough" to be an ACC caliber starter. He seems to have all of the tools, the question is whether he's got "enough" talent in any or multiple of those tools sets -- still TBD in my opinion.

Worst case, Tommy starts but is basically the same. Shrader backs him up, and is poised to take over the next two years, while Morgan / Lamson / Markewicz continue to develop. Even if that's "only" how things work out, it is a net improvement for QB depth and talent.

Best case scenario is this guy comes in, pushes TD to excel and we have 2 quality QBs and finally some depth. Worst case is what we've seen the past couple years in QB1 not lasting long before getting injured, and this guy in the second coming of Drew Allen and we are right back in the same boat. I'm glad we added him, but not quite ready to annoint him the savior.

I'm also counting down to his first bad read/mistake in live action and this board turning on him immediately. Good times ahead

Just because Dino is bringing him in and making it an open competition with Tommy doesn’t mean he actually expects Schrader to win.

but when you are 1-10 and your QB has missed significant time the last two years you need to bring in competition and everyone should expect it.

When your 4 star anointed one follows your 10 win season with a 5 win season, then thinking that Tommy has a lock on the job is misguided. He wasn't "all that". He was mediocre, with well known shortcomings, some of which do not really fit our offense.

Best case scenario is this guy comes in, pushes TD to excel and we have 2 quality QBs and finally some depth. Worst case is what we've seen the past couple years in QB1 not lasting long before getting injured, and this guy in the second coming of Drew Allen and we are right back in the same boat. I'm glad we added him, but not quite ready to annoint him the savior.

I'm also counting down to his first bad read/mistake in live action and this board turning on him immediately. Good times ahead

I think it is valid to question how accurate of a passer he is. But I also think we need to factor in that he was playing against Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, etc. and still had some success. As a true frosh. I don't think he's anything like Drew Allen at all. He's not coming in as an unproven commodity.

Interesting to see posters line up to support their chosen guy throughout this thread.

My philosophy is: may the best player win. If Tommy gets pushed [similar to how Dungey was pushed in 2018] and it causes him to elevate his game, that's good for the program. And if new guy Shrader beats him out because Tommy doesn't show improvement over his current level of play, that's good for the program. And overarching all of that, it is rare for a QB to make it through the year, so having two starting caliber QBs is needed.

And I wouldn't count out Morgan, who got a big dose of PT. Not sure how good he is, or whether he's "good enough" to be an ACC caliber starter. He seems to have all of the tools, the question is whether he's got "enough" talent in any of multiple of those tools sets -- still TBD in my opinion.

Worst case, Tommy starts but is basically the same. Shrader backs him up, and is poised to take over the next two years, while Morgan / Lamson / Markewicz continue to develop. Even if that's "only" how things work out, it is a net improvement for QB depth and talent.

This is where I fall. Too many people saying Dino wants a new QB or Garrett will be a Day 1 starter.

QB Room needed a guy that could play that is not a true freshman next year. Shrader does that, while bringing an intriguing run element.

I have no idea how good Shrader is in this system, but would much rather have a battle-tested former SEC QB that is here in January contending with Tommy than not. Whoever starts has earned it.

Lamson is the most raw talented of the 3 true freshman, Shrader coming in means he can have absolutely zero pressure to develop, as he will be 5th string behind 2 true freshman with game experience as opposed to having to come in and immediately be the #3 QB.

Every guy recruited is recruited by the coaching staff to win a job, some posters (not OP) are acting like Dino doesn't believe in Tommy anymore. No one recruits back-ups/depth (especially with JUCO/transfers). You always get the best players you can that work at the numbers for the position and let it play out on the field and practice.

And I wouldn't count out Morgan, who got a big dose of PT. Not sure how good he is, or whether he's "good enough" to be an ACC caliber starter. He seems to have all of the tools, the question is whether he's got "enough" talent in any or multiple of those tools sets -- still TBD in my opinion.

The thing I like about this pickup is that DeVito and Shrader can run the exact same offense, but give the defense a very different style and threat when they're in.

I like having contrasting styles between the starter and backup.

Just because Dino is bringing him in and making it an open competition with Tommy doesn’t mean he actually expects Schrader to win.

but when you are 1-10 and your QB has missed significant time the last two years you need to bring in competition and everyone should expect it.
You are right but you can tell they are bringing him in because he has particular skill set they will like to utilize. A skill set that opens up the offense more. We dont know what the staff is expecting from Shrader but they know what to expect from TD.

You are right but you can tell they are bringing him in because he has particular skill set they will like to utilize. A skill set that opens up the offense more. We dont know what the staff is expecting from Shrader but they know what to expect from TD.

Agreed. I have no illusions about Clayton Welch last year -- but for all of his warts, he moved the chains when he got to play. I see Shrader as being a much more talented version of Welch. Pure passer, no -- but neither was Dungey.

PS OSI.png

I think it is valid to question how accurate of a passer he is. But I also think we need to factor in that he was playing against Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, etc. and still had some success. As a true frosh. I don't think he's anything like Drew Allen at all. He's not coming in as an unproven commodity.
Drew Allen unfortunately needed a Spring to adjust. He was good enough to take it all in over a camp. GS has three years and best yet...should be here for the Spring.

And the odds of both of them playing meaningful snaps are almost a given as well
Captain Obvious, this is Syracuse right? ;)

The unusual, the What and the horrific always adds an extra element to every sports team on The Hill we follow.

Dino is bringing him in to win the job.

Why QB Garrett Shrader chose Syracuse: 'I'm not coming to sit'

BySTEPHEN BAILEY 22 hours ago

While Syracuse football offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert was navigating the end of a tumultuous 2020 season, he was actively working to bolster his unit's chances of an improved campaign next fall. For the past month or so, Gilbert has been heavily recruiting Mississippi State transfer quarterback Garrett Shrader.

A former four-star recruit who entered the transfer portal two months ago, Shrader committed to the Orange on Saturday night. Speaking with 247Sports on Sunday, he outlined the pitch Gilbert and head coach Dino Babers made to him.

"I wanted to go somewhere that has a pretty wide-open offense," Shrader said. "That was the biggest thing. I don't really care about the cold. I know we don't really have to deal with it playing in the Dome anyway. That was the biggest thing. I wanted to go somewhere where we put up points. I don't want to just be a game manager.

"... I wanted to go somewhere that's explosive where we throw the ball a lot, have an RPO game with a quarterback run and obviously (have) bunch of talent around (the quarterback) because you're only as good as the people around him. So Syracuse checked all of those boxes with me."

A sophomore, Shrader is set to enroll at SU in January and arrive on campus when returnees come back from holiday break around Jan. 20. Currently, he'll have to sit out the 2021 season due to NCAA transfer rules unless he's granted an immediate eligibility waiver. However, the NCAA Division I Council is scheduled to vote on a one-time transfer proposal next month, which could pave the way for Shrader to battle with redshirt junior Tommy DeVito starting this spring.

Shrader started four games for Mississippi State in 2019 and appeared in 10 contests, completing 57.5 percent of his passes for 1,170 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions. He also rushed for 587 yards (5.2 ypc) and six scores, displaying the mobility that SU's coaches told Shrader could help offset the team's recent offensive line woes.

After Mike Leach was hired to replace Joe Moorhead as MSU head coach this January, Shrader was moved to wide receiver. He stayed for four games in an effort to help the team and with the understanding that the NCAA had given fall athletes an extra year of eligibility as well as an extension of their participation window. But Shrader said he's always viewed himself as a quarterback, and he was diligent in learning about transfer options once he hit the portal.

Shrader said he also strongly considered Louisville and Virginia Tech, but fit in the Orange's scheme, as well as a clearly outlined opportunity to compete for the starting job, were the two facts that led him to picking Syracuse. A conversation with Babers late in the process validated the notion that Shrader will get a chance to beat out DeVito, the two-year starter who played through injuries in 2019 before missing seven games due to a lower-leg injury this fall.

"I like Coach Babers a lot," Shrader said. "He's very excited, very energetic guy, passionate. He said he's not bringing someone in to be the backup. He's bringing me in to compete and ultimately try to win the job. I'm not coming to sit.

"That was a big thing when he said that. He said, 'I'm not bringing you in to sit here and back up. I need you to go win the job.' But he said, 'I'm not going to hand it to you.' He wants me to come in and make that quarterback run better and make the team better, and that's what I'm trying to do."

Shrader said he watched film with Syracuse coaches of other dual-threat quarterbacks to operate in versions of the veer-and-shoot run by Babers and Gilbert. That includes former Orange signal-caller Eric Dungey as well as two South Florida standouts who worked under Gilbert: Quinton Flowers and Blake Barnett. The way those three players were able to contribute as runners, scramblers and passers piqued Shrader's interest. He was able to see himself succeeding under Babers and Gilbert with aspirations of putting up the prolific statistics of that trio.

As a senior in 2018, Dungey racked up 754 rushing yards and 15 scores to go with 2,868 passing yards and 18 touchdowns to nine interceptions. Flowers totaled 1,078 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior at USF in 2017, adding 2,911 yards, 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. Then Barnett rushed for 301 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior for the Bulls the next fall, throwing for 2,710 yards, 12 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

"They showed me what it was like at its peak with guys who had similar builds or could do similar stuff that I can in the run game and pass game," Shrader said. "That's what I was looking for."

Shrader said he's eager to get to campus, begin winter conditioning and meet his new teammates. With Syracuse planning for a full offseason of training and development work, Shrader is expected to get his first chance to impress Babers and Gilbert when spring practice opens, traditionally in March.

Said Shrader: "When we get to start playing, I'm confident in my skill set. So when it comes down to that, I think that'll take care of itself. Once you get to competing, you go out and play."
Yeah, how many p-5 schools could a WR go to that would have a chance to start? Maybe none. I am thrilled that we got this kid. I hope he is an all time great. We should just pull the brakes a bit about him coming in, after not playing qb for over a year, closer to 2, and beating out a 2 year starter.

Worst case scenario to me is we have better QB play than last year. I hate the concept that a player or a group (like OL) is automatically going to be better because one year went by. But in this case, no matter who the starter is, I don’t know how the QB play could be worse. I have to assume that it’ll be better. And if an injury occurs at the QB position next year there won’t be as significant in drop off in play as we saw this year and in prior years over the last 2 decades when we’ve seen the QB go down. One huge frustration is having the opponents 2nd QB start a game or have to come in early and play pretty well.

Agreed, and one step further. What the staff does know is that Shrader put up good rushing numbers in the SEC as a true freshman against elite level talent and game plans that were likely keying on him and forcing him to beat them with his passing. He has some significant flaws in his skill set, but his scrambling and running ability is dynamic.
Defenses are going to need to account for him if/when he is on the field.

He has good athletic talent probably more than Devito, but he also had major ball security issues. Lets hope he can correct those issues.
"...probably more than Devito..." TD is a better athlete than he shows during games...but he's not in the same league as GS. Not even close.

Agreed, and one step further. What the staff does know is that Shrader put up good rushing numbers in the SEC as a true freshman against elite level talent and game plans that were likely keying on him and forcing him to beat them with his passing. He has some significant flaws in his skill set, but his scrambling and running ability is dynamic.
Defenses are going to need to account for him if/when he is on the field.
Good points

Worst case scenario to me is we have better QB play than last year. I hate the concept that a player or a group (like OL) is automatically going to be better because one year went by. But in this case, no matter who the starter is, I don’t know how the QB play could be worse. I have to assume that it’ll be better. And if an injury occurs at the QB position next year there won’t be as significant in drop off in play as we saw this year and in prior years over the last 2 decades when we’ve seen the QB go down. One huge frustration is having the opponents 2nd QB start a game or have to come in early and play pretty well.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that players automatically improve in a linear capacity.

But QB play this year was subpar, for a variety of reasons, even before DeVito got injured. He needs to perform better. If he doesn't step it up, then there's a plan B.

Having a guy who could legitimately take his job will hopefully push him. It was a factor for Dungey in 2018, and hopefully it will be a factor driving DeVito this offseason, into next year.

Kid is a playmaker with his feet wow. Looks faster than Dungey was to me but has that instinct and ability to break tackles and make guys miss. His tape shows improvement in pocket awareness as the season progresses. He was stepping up into the pocket a lot more later in the tape than earlier.

Throwing the ball he reminds me of Rex quite a bit in both throwing motion and how some of the throws either had too much on them or too little. He isn't super accurate but definitely is a lot more accurate than Rex. Deep balls weren't awful but took too long to get there. As a passer there is something to work with there for sure. He isn't as fast or as good of a passer right now but his game most reminds me of Lamar Jackson. A very poor man's version of Lamar of course but the acceleration when he takes off jumps off the tape and this was against strong competition in the Big 12 and and SEC. Before I get eviscerated I am not saying this kid is going to be Lamar - just in the style of play and how he runs.

Something else that is exciting is that with Tucker and Lutz you have two backs with really good vision. Add in a QB on the RPO who is a serious threat and you are going to get LBs and Ends gambling more which can really help the running game. Dino/Gilbert can use tempo with the running game a lot more and then use the shorter/intermediate passing game mixed in and work on adding more from there. It is exciting to think about how the running game could look with this kid if he wins the job or a share of the job.

Tommy can run the ball when he puts his mind to it. In 2019, he started running QB draws in mid-season and ripped off some huge gains, including a 60 yard TD. he's got good speed for a quarterback. The problem is, he's a reluctant runner and tends to hesitate. Schrader explodes out of the backfield like the Batmobile. Maybe his aggressiveness in this aspect of the game will get Tommy going as he tries to fight Garrett off for the starting position.

Tommy can run the ball when he puts his mind to it. In 2019, he started running QB draws in mid-season and ripped off some huge gains, including a 60 yard TD. he's got good speed for a quarterback. The problem is, he's a reluctant runner and tends to hesitate. Schrader explodes out of the backfield like the Batmobile. Maybe his aggressiveness in this aspect of the game will get Tommy going as he tries to fight Garrett off for the starting position.
I believe over the last season that even despite the sacks, DeVito is the only QB we've had with positive rushing yardage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom