Quarterbacks | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Quarterbacks

Is it Dino's fault that 6 offensive linemen are out (including a returning starter from last year)?

Is it Dino's fault that his 2 best RB's opted out?

All a HC can do is "control the controllables". You can't control injuries, you can't control opt opts, and you can't control the NCAAny OL injuries b.

I get your point. But, I wonder if other programs have as many OL injuries before the season starts? Seems to be the case every year - last year was the same. Maybe they need to run practices differently?

I think TD gets one more week. If it looks like the last bunch of games, use the bye to get whoever the most promising freshman is ready to go. Can’t be worse
Dino is a loyal guy to a fault, i think Tommy starts the rest of the season. I think he may split time with another QB going forward until someone separates themselves from the others. Maybe we win maybe we don't but I don't see him making a complete change and benching him.

It is going to ba a painful season to watch.

Or not watch, whatever your choice but if I don't see improvement I have to bail for my own sanity.

Not today early drops and hail breaks
Last week yes he missed but today he was a lamb to slaughter. Again I want somebody to write a job description to come play here
List what u get if u play here I’m waiting to hear

i love Rex will always be happy for that kid
But it was the only time we had zero pressure on the Qb and Pitt coach said blown coverage again Rex doesn’t have to apologize for that he made the play good for him love that kid
The o line is b

the first 2 drops were to his r

I can’t post what I would like to it’s better I don’t but if anyone wants to DM go ahead pro or anti TD and I’ll answer what I can
I’m thankful he wasn’t concussed he is really beat up from head to toe on face time last night he called from under the covers with just his face showings . stupid covid we can’t even
Take care of him and risk infecting anyone

Listen, I’m going to give you a ton of respect for coming on here.

Although I don’t agree with a lot of what you say, I still have a ton of respect.

I just want to state I have no ill will for Tommy and I truly do hope that he succeeds at Syracuse. I actually really want him too. I want him to lead this team to some amazing victories and I want him to take this team to a bowl game next season and I think everyone does.

Obviously you know more about Tommy than any of us and I truly do wish him the best. And I hope that not only can he show great improvements in the coming weeks but also the OL to help him out even more.

You know, the more I think about it, maybe I tell Tommy, hey, this season is a bust out OL is not good, let’s sit you for the rest of the year so you don’t get hurt, work on the things you’re struggling at and we will start one of the freshman that will take over for you after you’re gone.

I mean honestly, what’s the worst that is going to happen at this point by starting one of the freshman?

I’m ready to see it, let’s go! I’m fired up again!

Worst that can happen? They throw for 31 yards.

I think I saw this mentioned before but how much has the fact the 4* Devito was christened as the future of Syracuse Football deterred other legit QBs from coming here.

I feel it would only deter some, those that truly believe they deserve to start from day one. Those that are willing to compete shouldn't be deterred.
So the question I have is this, why have we consistently missed on our high value QB targets?

I hope Tommy looks at how he can impove rather than blaming everyone else for his woes
That’s my point. I get the feeling he doesn’t do that.

I think I saw this mentioned before but how much has the fact the 4* Devito was christened as the future of Syracuse Football deterred other legit QBs from coming here.

I feel it would only deter some, those that truly believe they deserve to start from day one. Those that are willing to compete shouldn't be deterred.
So the question I have is this, why have we consistently missed on our high value QB targets?

You answered your own question before you asked it.

Apparently, none of our top QB targets either wanted the competition, or didn’t think they’d get a fair shot to beat him out, or wanted to wait on the bench until TDV is gone, or - other?

(It also seems that Coach Martin was a detriment to QB recruiting too - he was great at Grad Xfer OT’s ;) - so that’s one issue resolved now).

Lamson seems to have a LOT of Dungey traits to his game. Only with closer to D1 weight already - Dungey was skinny back then.
(hard to believe now)

He - like Dungey - may be able to come in as a Frosh and play well enough to be effective, while also being a playmaker enough to keep plays alive when they break down.

So many of our peer programs have had Frosh QB’s come in and make it work.
No reason we can’t do so, again.

You're right. I was upset (still am), so I'll revise what I said. Tommy & Rex are not FBS level QB's. The jury is still out on the others, however I am skeptical at how good they will be. I know who is recruiting a player is not the be all end all, but it is a pretty good indicator at what level a kid can play at.

Jacobian Morgan - His HS coach referred to him as a "diamond in the rough." We were his only FBS offer.

Dillon Markiewicz - We were the 1st FBS school to offer, and only the 2nd school to offer after Stephen F Austin. Boise St offered after us.

David Summers - flipped from MD. Looks like Pitt and UB were the other 2 FBS schools to offer.

As you pointed out, I discredited kids before giving them a chance. I will withhold judgment until they step on the field. I hope 1 of these kids pans out.
I'm happy to give a good look at a QB that Boise State offered.

I know there is no shot of it happening, especially since it would burn a bridge, but it would be great if somehow Dustin Crum could transfer here next year to push Tommy and give a legit 2nd option. Crum already knows the system and adds the running aspect that we are missing.

Can we also call a spade a spade? The offensive system needs to evolve and Dino just won’t do it because it’s what got him here. Really really bad from a coaching aspect.

Dude, why do you care about offers. Doesn’t mean jack when you actually enroll.
Because they are an indicator of potential. The more schools that offer the better in my opinion.

Dude, why do you care about offers. Doesn’t mean jack when you actually enroll.
I was reacting to a post that was running down the guy due to his lack of quality offers - Dude

You tend to level criticism quite judiciously, so numbers one and two really stand out to me when you say them.
no, actually I almost never level criticism of the football team. I am there for every game for over 50 years and I never give up. It is a real observation I have noticed about Tommy. I have been watching this for a while. While they board the plane, while they are on the sidelines, in all of the posted photos and videos. Tommy seems not to have players gravitating around him. I like Tommy, and I really wanted him to succeed. I was truly excited for him. Those on the board who know me, will know that you picked on the wrong person to level your criticism toward. I rarely post like this, but it was an real observation I see.

no, actually I almost never level criticism of the football team. I am there for every game for over 50 years and I never give up. It is a real observation I have noticed about Tommy. I have been watching this for a while. While they board the plane, while they are on the sidelines, in all of the posted photos and videos. Tommy seems not to have players gravitating around him. I like Tommy, and I really wanted him to succeed. I was truly excited for him. Those on the board who know me, will know that you picked on the wrong person to level your criticism toward. I rarely post like this, but it was an real observation I see.
By my reading, Sufandu was complimenting you not criticizing you, given that you rarely (if ever) post anything negative about the team.

Last edited:
Tommy lacks several things to me. One he is not a team leader. Two,, I don't see him being a "team" guy or super respected by the team. Three he seems to be lacking general QB awareness and a feeling for the college game. Four, he never made the transition to the college game and seems to be in over his head.

Someone today asked me about Joe Girard coming over and playing QB. They said he was really good in HS. That may be really stupid, but wanted to mention it.
Suit him up!

You answered your own question before you asked it.

Apparently, none of our top QB targets either wanted the competition, or didn’t think they’d get a fair shot to beat him out, or wanted to wait on the bench until TDV is gone, or - other?

(It also seems that Coach Martin was a detriment to QB recruiting too - he was great at Grad Xfer OT’s ;) - so that’s one issue resolved now).

Lamson seems to have a LOT of Dungey traits to his game. Only with closer to D1 weight already - Dungey was skinny back then.
(hard to believe now)

He - like Dungey - may be able to come in as a Frosh and play well enough to be effective, while also being a playmaker enough to keep plays alive when they break down.

So many of our peer programs have had Frosh QB’s come in and make it work.
No reason we can’t do so, again.
Personally, I think the bigger barrier to recruiting was the negative recruiting message other programs used that Babers never developed his own guys, only other people's. I don't think DeVito being on the roster had much impact on our top targets not coming.

You're right. I was upset (still am), so I'll revise what I said. Tommy & Rex are not FBS level QB's. The jury is still out on the others, however I am skeptical at how good they will be. I know who is recruiting a player is not the be all end all, but it is a pretty good indicator at what level a kid can play at.

Jacobian Morgan - His HS coach referred to him as a "diamond in the rough." We were his only FBS offer.

Dillon Markiewicz - We were the 1st FBS school to offer, and only the 2nd school to offer after Stephen F Austin. Boise St offered after us.

David Summers - flipped from MD. Looks like Pitt and UB were the other 2 FBS schools to offer.

As you pointed out, I discredited kids before giving them a chance. I will withhold judgment until they step on the field. I hope 1 of these kids pans out.

Give me a break that Devito isn't FBS where were you in 2018 when he dropped some dimes few college QBs can. Unfortunately I think noone else on the roster can make throws like that.

Sadly right now it looks like Devito is totally incapable of doing more with less and the OL/WR will play a lot better for anyone else. Lets see how he does vs GT.

Sommers Morgan and Markiewicz might have to show if they are worth keeping around this year or not. An open starting QB job will be very attractive to recruits and transfers in the offseason. I don't want to waste scholarships on guys who can't get ahead of a QB who got moved to TE.

Give me a break that Devito isn't FBS where were you in 2018 when he dropped some dimes few college QBs can. Unfortunately I think noone else on the roster can make throws like that.

Sadly right now it looks like Devito is totally incapable of doing more with less and the OL/WR will play a lot better for anyone else. Lets see how he does vs GT.

Sommers Morgan and Markiewicz might have to show if they are worth keeping around this year or not. An open starting QB job will be very attractive to recruits and transfers in the offseason. I don't want to waste scholarships on guys who can't get ahead of a QB who got moved to TE.

I was watching in 2018. Have been watching since the late 80's, early 90's. I have actually been a proponent of TD. He has FBS talent, but when the lights come on, he doesn't produce. I have absolutely zero confidence we'll win with him (not saying we currently have a better option), and I'm beginning to think a lot of the team feels that way as well.

I was watching in 2018. Have been watching since the late 80's, early 90's. I have actually been a proponent of TD. He has FBS talent, but when the lights come on, he doesn't produce. I have absolutely zero confidence we'll win with him (not saying we currently have a better option), and I'm beginning to think a lot of the team feels that way as well.

I don't disagree.

But what if guys 2-5 are simply put really bad?

If there wasn't a sizable gap Rex starts the 2nd half.

I think we need to give Devito at least 1 home game before writing him off. Some of the responses make you question whether the posters think he should be blocking the D linemen as well as throwing the ball. You have people praising Rex for missing a open WR by 5 yards on the penultimate play of the game because at least he didn't get sacked by an unblocked blitzing linebacker. Can't make some of this stuff up.

I hope you didn't read my comment as being critical of you. I was actually trying to point out that it carries a lot of weight with me, given what I know of your posting history.

I am as critical as the next guy of all players on the team when they deserve it.

Unfortunately he plays QB, the position with the most visibility, the most criticism when something goes wrong and the most praise when something goes right. I didn't make those rules.

Also, quarterbacks are normally the face of any program, good or bad.

I can only speak for myself that I want more than anything for Tommy to do well as I have been emotionally invested in this team since I was a little boy. I am hoping and praying he does because I don't see Dino making a change and staying loyal to him.

I am also thinking that some coaching staffs can also fill a talented kid's head with too much junk, so much so that it paralyzes them when the lights come on. I have a strange feeling that might be happening here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom