Quarterbacks | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Quarterbacks

I think your points are accurate, particularly the second one. This team was fractured last year and still is, and I think a lot of it has to do with whom they think should or should not be starting at QB.

Last years backup is gone. The backup who was moved to TE by this staff got in with the ball on their 40 and looked like he forgot how to throw the football. The other guy on the roster last year isn't travelling.

So this take is false. Tommy and the team were fine when I saw them up close @ Ville last year. D was the problem that day.

Dillon M seems ahead of Morgan. So I hope he is ready to play. The leash is gone but you have to start Tommy at home and give him a few series. If Sommers isn't travelling the only other options are true Freshmen.

Tommy lacks several things to me. One he is not a team leader. Two,, I don't see him being a "team" guy or super respected by the team. Three he seems to be lacking general QB awareness and a feeling for the college game. Four, he never made the transition to the college game and seems to be in over his head.

Someone today asked me about Joe Girard coming over and playing QB. They said he was really good in HS. That may be really stupid, but wanted to mention it.
You tend to level criticism quite judiciously, so numbers one and two really stand out to me when you say them.

Last years backup is gone. The backup who was moved to TE by this staff got in with the ball on their 40 and looked like he forgot how to throw the football. The other guy on the roster last year isn't travelling.

So this take is false. Tommy and the team were fine when I saw them up close @ Ville last year. D was the problem that day.

Dillon M seems ahead of Morgan. So I hope he is ready to play. The leash is gone but you have to start Tommy at home and give him a few series. If Sommers isn't travelling the only other options are true Freshmen.

That backup who was a te last year also threw a 40 yard dime on the money for our only td of the year so far and didn’t take a single sack. He showed more poise in the pocket in a couple series and he may not have the arm talent but 88 yards and a td on 9 attempts > 32 yards and an int on 15 attempts where I come from.

Either players are all magically playing harder when Culpepper’s in, and when Welch was in last year or maybe just maybe something’s going on with the other guy.

That backup who was a te last year also threw a 40 yard dime on the money for our only td of the year so far and didn’t take a single sack. He showed more poise in the pocket in a couple series and he may not have the arm talent but 88 yards and a td on 9 attempts > 32 yards and an int on 15 attempts where I come from.

Either players are all magically playing harder when Culpepper’s in, and when Welch was in last year or maybe just maybe something’s going on with the other guy.

exactly

I don’t know... I remember on a number of occasions thinking why isn’t DeVito getting a shot. But hopefully the QB position will at least be an open competition this week
Problem with open competition in practice is that TD will win. He probably has better mechanics and arm strength at this time. The problem is it all goes out the window when the game whistle blows.

All I know is this football team would play a much more inspiring/inspired brand of football with a different QB. You can’t tell me they believe in Tommy. This year or last.

Yeah it’s easy to see, anytime another qb steps on the field they all play harder.

Ok sorry but TD got the worst poker hand in the country two years in a row it sucks . he graduates in Decemberwants to deliver for Syracuse
Its a shame how things have worked out. I hope that Tommy and the guys pull it together. At this point its a train wreck.

Oh it’s Dino’s fault the line has injuries ? It’s bad luck thats it and that’s all
Injuries are not the coaches fault. What is at fault is an inability to game plan around those injuries. Dino hasn't changed much if anything. Running dive plays against 2 stout defensive lines with a make shift offensive line, back up RBs and a pocket passer at QB probably isn't going to work.
Bottom line is we are not using our strenghts which would be our TEs, JJ in space vs between the tackles. Running clock to rest the D and give Gilbert time to play call. Simply put they are not putting your son in a position to succeed.

The play he got “hurt” on had a good one.
It’s not all on the OL, that narrative sailed a loooong time ago.

what? He got drilled by three guys at the same time. That play and many others was all on the ol

This is a bad take. They are true freshmen, give it some time before you draw any conclusion or get any bad feelings

You're right. I was upset (still am), so I'll revise what I said. Tommy & Rex are not FBS level QB's. The jury is still out on the others, however I am skeptical at how good they will be. I know who is recruiting a player is not the be all end all, but it is a pretty good indicator at what level a kid can play at.

Jacobian Morgan - His HS coach referred to him as a "diamond in the rough." We were his only FBS offer.

Dillon Markiewicz - We were the 1st FBS school to offer, and only the 2nd school to offer after Stephen F Austin. Boise St offered after us.

David Summers - flipped from MD. Looks like Pitt and UB were the other 2 FBS schools to offer.

As you pointed out, I discredited kids before giving them a chance. I will withhold judgment until they step on the field. I hope 1 of these kids pans out.

I think TD gets one more week. If it looks like the last bunch of games, use the bye to get whoever the most promising freshman is ready to go. Can’t be worse

I agree, Tommy has one more shot at it this week.

However, nothing’s going to change. I would be willing to bet that his attitude is that it’s simply not just him, it’s everything else. That he just is simply in a bad situation. No way it could be him. It’s always everyone else around him. So therefore, I doubt he’s working to become better where his faults are.

Last season we were told it was the receivers and that he only had one good WR to throw to. This season it’s the OL. They don’t create enough of a pocket and TD can’t get out quick enough (ironic that with the same OL Rex could get out, just unfortunately they weren’t accurate passes) before he has to take a sack.

I really want to see TD excel at Syracuse, I talked him up to so many people prior to last season. I hope he can take a hard look in the mirror and realize that not everything is everyone else’s fault and take some responsibility.

Like we’ve all said, Tommy has the QB mechanics, arm etc down to a T. He really can thrown the ball...it’s the actual QB IQ that he doesn’t seem to have currently. I think he might be able to develop it and I truly hope we see it. I hope it gets better for Syracuse’s sake and for TD himself

Yeah it’s easy to see, anytime another qb steps on the field they all play harder.
I was saying this to some friends yesterday, it’s almost like the O line secretly hates TD.

what? He got drilled by three guys at the same time. That play and many others was all on the ol
We are clearly thinking of different plays.
The line held strong to the right of him, if Tommy steps once or twice to his left and looks of the one damn target he can throw the ball.

At this point, we really should just go 5 wide. Get as many DBs on the field as possible, and if they don’t, exploit the mismatches.

I’m no football expert, but a 4 season ticket fan who would like to see SU football relevant again.
In this weird season and our present offense performance it is time to give future players a shot. I don’t care if that would be a redshirt freshman or freshman quarterback. Pick the best and give them a shot. TD would be the backup. If we do nothing the team will soon just give up. God bless Rex but he is not our future.

You know, the more I think about it, maybe I tell Tommy, hey, this season is a bust out OL is not good, let’s sit you for the rest of the year so you don’t get hurt, work on the things you’re struggling at and we will start one of the freshman that will take over for you after you’re gone.

I mean honestly, what’s the worst that is going to happen at this point by starting one of the freshman?

I’m ready to see it, let’s go! I’m fired up again!

I believe the whole offense as a unit is dysfunctional. Its the OL, QB, WR TE and RB. Whether its more talent deficiencies versus scheme is an arguable point. However, all of that is on the HC as this is Year 5. Its his program in full right now.

Trying to nitpick position groups is like choosing the lesser of 5 evils at this point. Trying to assign % blame to players who are trying their best to produce is a rabbit hole. We are at the Bottom 3 in offense this year through 2 games and thats on the unit as a whole. All 11 need to do better for the offense to function.

What caused me to post is the keyboard warriors questioning players competitive spirit and calling out our QB as if he doesn't want to win and only cares about himself. That's a bunch of crap. The amount of time and commitment it takes to play at this level is proof in and of itself of the dedication to being successful and trying to be a winner. Whether or not TD can be successful in this situation can be debated. Questioning his will to win shouldn't be accepted by the members of this forum imo. Its just wrong.

Last edited:
If things go south vs Gtech I would like to see Markiewicz or Morgan get some run. Everyone is retaining a year of eligibility this year so no downside of playing the young guys and seeing what they can do.

1600608025009.gif

Start with what TD can do better, then we‘ll listen on the rest. I know you see it. I got a kid who plays sports, Dads know what they are doing wrong. No one here thinks it’s *all* on him.
Not today early drops and hail breaks
Last week yes he missed but today he was a lamb to slaughter. Again I want somebody to write a job description to come play here
List what u get if u play here I’m waiting to hear
Let's not forget TD has been professionally trained by the best...
What is frustrating is that Dino had no problem pulling ED when he was not playing well in lieu of TD. He even game TD series during ED senior season. ED gave everything to the program and Dino made a change but he refuses to replace TD unless he is hurt. I really do not understand.
[/
To give credit where it was due, Rex looked to the other side of the field on the TD pass which prevented the safety from helping over the top.
i love Rex will always be happy for that kid
But it was the only time we had zero pressure on the Qb and Pitt coach said blown coverage again Rex doesn’t have to apologize for that he made the play good for him love that kid
The o line is b
why no throws to his left, or over the middle?

everything is to his right/
the first 2 drops were to his r
I think TD gets one more week. If it looks like the last bunch of games, use the bye to get whoever the most promising freshman is ready to go. Can’t be worse
I agree, Tommy has one more shot at it this week.

However, nothing’s going to change. I would be willing to bet that his attitude is that it’s simply not just him, it’s everything else. That he just is simply in a bad situation. No way it could be him. It’s always everyone else around him. So therefore, I doubt he’s working to become better where his faults are.

I really want to see TD excel at Syracuse, I talked him up to so many people prior to last season. I hope he can take a hard look in the mirror and realize that not everything is everyone else’s fault and take some responsibility.

Like we’ve all said, Tommy has the QB mechanics, arm etc down to a T. He really can thrown the ball...it’s the actual QB IQ that he doesn’t seem to have currently.
I can’t post what I would like to it’s better I don’t but if anyone wants to DM go ahead pro or anti TD and I’ll answer what I can
I’m thankful he wasn’t concussed he is really beat up from head to toe on face time last night he called from under the covers with just his face showings . stupid covid we can’t even
Take care of him and risk infecting anyone

I believe the whole offense as a unit is dysfunctional. Its the OL, QB, WR TE and RB. Whether its more talent deficiencies versus scheme is an arguable point. However, all of that is on the HC as this is Year 5. Its his program in full right now.

Is it Dino's fault that 6 offensive linemen are out (including a returning starter from last year)?

Is it Dino's fault that his 2 best RB's opted out?

All a HC can do is "control the controllables". You can't control injuries, you can't control opt opts, and you can't control the NCAA.

At this point, we really should just go 5 wide. Get as many DBs on the field as possible, and if they don’t, exploit the mismatches.

We don't have the line to protect or the QB to spot 2nd/3rd targets quick enough.

There was a little bit of progress with the RBs running the ball. Tucker looked pretty good. Need to keep working on that. We went from crawl to crawl somewhat faster.

It’s interesting that people here are suggesting they know the QB situation better then the staff because that’s really what it reads like. I certainly don’t know what the heck is going on behind the scenes but the staff sees these guys play, they know who can do what for the most part.

Trying to nitpick position groups is like choosing the lesser of 5 evils at this point. Trying to assign % blame to players who are trying their best to produce is a rabbit hole. We are at the Bottom 3 in offense this year through 2 games and thats on the unit as a whole. All 11 need to do better for the offense to function.

What caused me to post is the keyboard warriors questioning players competitive spirit and calling out our QB as if he doesn't want to win and only cares about himself. That's a bunch of crap. The amount of time and commitment it takes to play at this level is proof in and of itself of the dedication to being successful and trying to be a winner. Whether or not TD can be successful in this situation can be debated. Questioning his will to win shouldn't be accepted by the members of this forum imo. Its just wrong.
Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom