Recruiting higher rated kids. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting higher rated kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, the banners for bowl games, the retired jerseys and championship teams look like a bizarre mix. Lots of different sizes and colors, no consistency, no attention to detail. It could be done so much better and a lot of it could address the vast expances of bare concrete on interior walls. I hope this gets addressed soon. The goal should be no bare concrete walls anywhere in the Dome. Either use it for banners or paint it orange.
I would love that
I think they may be somewhat leery about painting directly to the concrete. Normal paint does not allow the concrete to breathe and could cause deterioration of the substrate, which would be very bad.

I think they may be somewhat leery about painting directly to the concrete. Normal paint does not allow the concrete to breathe and could cause deterioration of the substrate, which would be very bad.
Not sure this is a big issue indoors. I believe they have painted much of the concrete around the private boxes surrounding the perimeter on the first deck sidelines with no problems.

I find it hard to believe this is not possible. If the delay is because some of the walls could be affected by installation of the new roof, no problem. Regardless of that, the layout of banners in the building is a mess and needs to be addressed. We have a great history of bowl games, Lambert Trophies, BE championships, NCAA bids, Final Fours, etc. You would never know a lot of that history from going to the Dome. Especially if you go without binoculars.

Not sure this is a big issue indoors. I believe they have painted much of the concrete around the private boxes surrounding the perimeter on the first deck sidelines with no problems.

I find it hard to believe this is not possible. If the delay is because some of the walls could be affected by installation of the new roof, no problem. Regardless of that, the layout of banners in the building is a mess and needs to be addressed. We have a great history of bowl games, Lambert Trophies, BE championships, NCAA bids, Final Fours, etc. You would never know a lot of that history from going to the Dome. Especially if you go without binoculars.

This only applies to exterior walls that would be subjected to moisture. Interior concrete does not have this issue. The inability to breathe and build up moisture is what causes deterioration. There are special paints and other methods to avoid the issue. I am not sure if this is why they have never painted them, but just a possibility.

I am not sure how you guys are going this year in rescruting, but I would be shocked if higher rated kids don’t start signing with Cuse. I see the Orange as up and coming for sure...Dino has a really fun offense and the team plays hard in the Dome.

I am a Miami fan and I’ll give my honest take from someone on the outside looking in...as far as some negative perceptions. Not trying to troll you guys at all...in fact, I hope Cuse keeps beating FSU every year.

The Dome...I believe its scheduled for renovations and they are needed...looks old, and dirty on TV. To be frank, the Dome looks like a dump. Attendance, not sure what the problem is but fans should fill the stadium. Performance on the road...the team plays great at home but poorly on the road and that has to change.

Update the uniforms...current ones look dated.
Thanks. I like hearing outsider perspective when it seems genuine.

I think a number of the things you mention are the same things we've complained about. The uniforms have been a point of contention since Nike came out with this design. We hope that the renovation of the Dome is done right, but it's going tomtake a few years. If we keep winning, the fans seats will get filled. This was our first truly exciting season since 2001. Even though we've had other winning seasons since then, we haven't strung them together and it seemed like we trudged through seasons tomget them. Last season felt like stepping stone to something more coming down the road.

Allow me to give some outside perspective about Miami. They need an on campus stadium. A 30 minute drive is too far from campus and may help to explain the inconsistent attandance you've had the last 15 years. The attendance just hasn't been the same since that dump of an Orange Bowl was knocked to the ground. Any year that isn't percieved as a a potential national championship year and there are lots of empty seats at your home games. I would have to believe some of that is stadium location whereas the rest must be the fair weather nature of your fanbase. Considering that Miami's population is 3 times larger than Syracuse's, filling a 65,000 seat stadium shouldn't be that hard.

It's surprising that Miami has been in the weak division since joining ACC and only played in one conference championship game. Considering the recruiting territory you exist in, that has to be considered a major failure.

Lose the turnover chain. It's douchey. It's definitely more in line with Vanilla Ice than Ed Reed.

Last edited:
Great post and so very true. The coaching here compared to down there is miles apart. When we were at cs u can’t take the dline over to the bench to talk to them cause they are now on oline. My friends son played for clay in Florida last year and when they were done on o u run to the bench and rewatch everything that just happened with the oline coach and each position did same thing. Technically we vastly far behind also. I think most we ever played was 9 games. They have spring ball summer camps and it’s all mandatory. It’s a way of life. Wish we had that here.
Didn't realize they only played 1 side down south. My town has 2000 students, 155 on the football team, and the best kids play both sides(13 of them), same as all the larger schools we play. They all work out year round, since 8th grade. Having the luxury to sit them? Can't imagine that.

Didn't realize they only played 1 side down south. My town has 2000 students, 155 on the football team, and the best kids play both sides(13 of them), same as all the larger schools we play. They all work out year round, since 8th grade. Having the luxury to sit them? Can't imagine that.
Occasionally u will play 2 ways but not a ton. At central square u play all game. Don’t have a choice.

Our High School has lost in the first round of the states for the last two years (Pasco County 5A). A lot of players play both ways.

Which one of you left the door open again?

CuseisOK Don't you have a Miami fan borad to call home?

What’s the problem with posting here? I am not trolling you guys but having a sports related conversation. I guess you must be the hyper insecure type?

I have a few friends who are Syracuse fans and when I see the Cuse on TV, I actually root for them
to win. I saw the game vs Clemson 2 years ago and was very happy when you guys won. I also saw the game last year and was going for guys. Great win vs FSU.

I’ll keep posting here.

Last edited:
Thanks. I like hearing outsider perspective when it seems genuine.

I think a number of the things you mention are the same things we've complained about. The uniforms have been a point of contention since Nike came out with this design. We hope that the renovation of the Dome is done right, but it's going tomtake a few years. If we keep winning, the fans seats will get filled. This was our first truly exciting season since 2001. Even though we've had other winning seasons since then, we haven't strung them together and it seemed like we trudged through seasons tomget them. Last season felt like stepping stone to something more coming down the road.

Allow me to give some outside perspective about Miami. They need an on campus stadium. A 30 minute drive is too far from campus and may help to explain the inconsistent attandance you've had the last 15 years. The attendance just hasn't been the same since that dump of an Orange Bowl was knocked to the ground. Any year that isn't percieved as a a potential national championship year and there are lots of empty seats at your home games. I would have to believe some of that is stadium location whereas the rest must be the fair weather nature of your fanbase. Considering that Miami's population is 3 times larger than Syracuse's, filling a 65,000 seat stadium shouldn't be that hard.

It's surprising that Miami has been in the weak division since joining ACC and only played in one conference championship game. Considering the recruiting territory you exist in, that has to be considered a major failure.

Lose the turnover chain. It's douchey. It's definitely more in line with Vanilla Ice than Ed Reed.

Hardrock stadium is a good place to play...since the renovations were made, the place is loud and has the Orange Bowl “feel”. I’ll admit that It’s been frustrating and mostly disappointing watching the Canes the last 15 years.

We just unveiled a $35 million IPF this year and the facilities look great. UM is in Coral Gables and there’s no land anywhere for an on campus...stadium. The city would never approve it anyways.

I like where we are at right now. Manny is from here and the guy is very smart...I believe in what he is doing. Richt is a good man but he is at a stage in his life where winning was not the priority but relationships. His son should had no business being QB coach.

Hiring Enos was a great move by Manny...We have three talented QBs and we are stacked with elite talent at WR, RB and TE. OL is a different story, if he can get decent play out of the OL, we will have a very good year.

You guys have a really good HC imo...Dino just needs to hire an elite recruiter to help him land talent. I can see Syracuse getting a top 20 recruiting class and then watch out...it would be fun to see what Barbers can do with top talent on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
What’s the problem with posting here? I am not trolling you guys but having a sports related conversation. I guess you must be the hyper insecure type?

I have a few friends who are Syracuse fans and when I see the Cuse on TV, I actually root for them
to win. I saw the game vs Clemson 2 years ago and was very happy when you guys won. I also saw the game last year and was going for guys. Great win vs FSU.

I’ll keep posting here.
Hyper insecure? No. I really enjoy most of our other conference posters. They provide value to the conversation.

You say you aren't a troll but you have so far disrespected one of our commits by basically stating the only reason SU got him was that he is a project and wasn't good enough for Miami. Such a Rutgers move.

You have disrespected The Dome. You must not have read the threads about the renovations that are starting this year.

And then, worst of all, you have disrespected "Swag Daddy" by stating we have no elite recruiter on staff. Shameful.

And as to continued posting here...only if you remember that you are a guest in Our House.

And Yes gbo, I really do like you. ;)

Last edited:
Hardrock stadium is a good place to play...since the renovations were made, the place is loud and has the Orange Bowl “feel”. I’ll admit that It’s been frustrating and mostly disappointing watching the Canes the last 15 years.

We just unveiled a $35 million IPF this year and the facilities look great. UM is in Coral Gables and there’s no land anywhere for an on campus...stadium. The city would never approve it anyways.

I like where we are at right now. Manny is from here and the guy is very smart...I believe in what he is doing. Richt is a good man but he is at a stage in his life where winning was not the priority but relationships. His son should had no business being QB coach.

Hiring Enos was a great move by Manny...We have three talented QBs and we are stacked with elite talent at WR, RB and TE. OL is a different story, if he can get decent play out of the OL, we will have a very good year.

You guys have a really good HC imo...Dino just needs to hire an elite recruiter to help him land talent. I can see Syracuse getting a top 20 recruiting class and then watch out...it would be fun to see what Barbers can do with top talent on both sides of the ball.
I wasn't saying the stadium isn't nice, just that it's too far from campus. Given what you say about land, I guess you work with what you have. It'll be interesting to see how Diaz pans out. The players seem to have wanted him bad and it sounds like he started killing it in recruiting right off the bat. However, you never know how a coordinator is going to translate to head coach.

I really don't think Dino needs to upgrade any of this staff with regards to recruiting. The gains he has made have already been remarkable. Given our status before he came and how much it fell after our success in the '90's (2001 really was an anomaly that Dwight Freeney manufactured), what he has already done with recruiting is a testament to his ability. Sustained success will really start to draw the interest of some of the more highly regarded players. I don't ever expect to have Alabama or Clemson type success, but if we can start to beat Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, and Notre Dame for some of the elite northeast talent while continuing to get the over looked prospects from the south, this will be a fun team to follow for a while.

This coming season is probably the first in a long time where some of our most exciting talent is experienced but still young enough to come back after next season. I expect us to be a little better this year even if the record isn't quite as good with us having an even better chance in 2020 to make some noise.

Hyper insecure? No. I really enjoy most of our other conference posters. They provide value to the conversation.

You say you aren't a troll but you have so far disrespected one of our commits by basically stating the only reason SU got him was that he is a project and wasn't good enough for Miami. Such a Rutgers move.

You have disrespected The Dome. You must not have read the threads about the renovations that are starting this year.

And then, worst of all, you have disrespected "Swag Daddy" by stating we have no elite recruiter on staff. Shameful.

And as to continued posting here...only if you remember that you are a guest in Our House.

And Yes gbo, I really do like you. ;)
But I'm not a guest though...:)

I’ll keep posting here.
There is no problem with posting here.

Unless, of course, you do any (or all) of the things CuseLegacy mentions above. Trolls don't remain very long. Posters that contribute do. See gbo, Lou_C, Hokie Mark, etc.

You are welcome. About your posting here - your posts will determine that. As will we.

Your call. Show us we're wrong.

Surprised kids play only one side down south. Technically, they must be better, across the board, but there's no way the #22 player is athletically gifted as many in the top 11.

Probability wise, I have to think elite characteristics would still follow population areas- to a degree. As far as NFL players, there are areas closer to us, that yield good ones.(even if they're a tad behind in high school, and lower rated)

fpsd_heatmap.png

In 2016, that little swath below us(not including Ohio), accounted for 252 NFL players. #1 Florida had 193.

Last edited:
In 2016, that little swath below us(not including Ohio), accounted for 252 NFL players. #1 Florida had 193.
Not enough talent near us. And everyone "recruiting service" is undervaluing kids in that area with too few stars...lol To be elite, SU has to control that corridor from NY to DC.

How many "4/5 stars" from NY have made the NFL? How many "2/3 star" kids from NY have made the NFL?

Star rankings don't mean anything, especially in the north. The competition cannot be compared across the country. Stars don't matter, offers do.
AND, the amount of "true" committable offers can't be quantified either. Offers are pulled when slots are filled or better talent becomes available. Yet, the offers are still listed. So, your offers only evaluation of players isn't full-proof either.

AND for the SU camp only evaluation theorists, there isn't a chance in hell that we could fill our roster better by taking only kids that are evaluated during Dino's camps. Plus, those kids that attend don't necessarily have to pick SU either. Most college level talented kids camp at multiple schools or locations.

Not enough talent near us. And everyone "recruiting service" is undervaluing kids in that area with too few stars...lol To be elite, SU has to control that corridor from NY to DC.
I did use Virginia, as well. A little out of the 6 hour window from Cuse. If we were to remove that, parts of Ohio are still within 6 hours. (relatively close to home)

A quick look at Pa, Nj etc. Show less college blue chippers, but a decent amount of NFL'ers. I think the southern kids are more polished out of high school,or benefit by locale for ratings, but the athleticism can be closer to home - If you can properly evaluate/project it. I don't consider that a strong point for the services... but Dino's pretty good at it.

AND, the amount of "true" committable offers can't be quantified either. Offers are pulled when slots are filled or better talent becomes available. Yet, the offers are still listed. So, your offers only evaluation of players isn't full-proof either.

AND for the SU camp only evaluation theorists, there isn't a chance in hell that we could fill our roster better by taking only kids that are evaluated during Dino's camps. Plus, those kids that attend don't necessarily have to pick SU either. Most college level talented kids camp at multiple schools or locations.

Evaluation by the coaches doesn't only occur at "SU" camps. There are evaluation periods where the coaches can evaluated prospects both academically and athletically. Why coaches go HS games.

I don't understand why you are defending rankings by recruiting services. Our coaches clearly don't rely on them.

Evaluation by the coaches doesn't only occur at "SU" camps. There are evaluation periods where the coaches can evaluated prospects both academically and athletically. Why coaches go HS games.

I don't understand why you are defending rankings by recruiting services. Our coaches clearly don't rely on them.
I think it was Randy Shannon who used them exclusively, I could be wrong. That’s the only time I can remember reading about a staff putting that type of value into those rankings.

I think it was Randy Shannon who used them exclusively, I could be wrong. That’s the only time I can remember reading about a staff putting that type of value into those rankings.
You are correct and it is partially to blame for why he no longer has a head job. Rankings mean very little to coaches. They are for people like us...recruiting junkies.

1) Because (this was in basketball), a fella by the name of Clark Francis ( Hoop Scoop) once mentioned that many college recruiters subscribed to his service because it helped narrow the focus of where school's would spend their time looking/following/seeing recruits in action. It's funny when Dino references a highly rated recruit. Highly rated by whom???????? Where would he get such a term??? Don't fool yourself. No matter what coaches say publicly, they look at rankings just like you and everyone else here that seeks a measuring stick of where our recruiting stands.

2) I understand we also attend off campus camps
3) When are most college football games??? The same time as the high school games. How many times could we see a recruit live at their high school game??? Not many...So, that's just foolish to think we could get to see a Rochester team more than once in a season. I will concede game tapes are now readily available these days.
4) I just get tired of all the recruiting service bashing. If we were pulling in the highest "ranked" talent, we both know everyone here would be referencing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom