Recruiting versus the portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting versus the portal

I finally brought myself to watch JB's press conference after Pitt game 2, and the good news is that it's clear JB understands you need transfers to win today, and winning teams will be constructed in the portal going forward, including Syracuse. You can't play 3- and 4-star 17/18 year olds against 22 year olds and win consistently. The bad news is he has one, maybe two, off-seasons left and this year was a missed opportunity. JB didn't get transfers because he had already recruited 6 freshmen and told them they would play. I value loyalty, but I also value winning and this season has been difficult. I expect Cuse will join the rest of the competitive CBB teams in mining the Portal for starter-caliber players, starting this off-season. I also expect less emphasis on high school recruiting, especially outside of the top 100, save for our annual project center.

We’ll see how loyal these players are if they decide the portal or stay. Loyalty has to work both ways.

It depends on your definition of difference maker. If it is a Melo. No No chance. But if it is a guy that can be the difference between winning a game and losing a game, yeah, we can. We have lost two tight games. A quality forward couldn't have made a difference in the St john's game, lost in OT and the Bryant game, lost at the buzzer? This was coaching malfeasance. I will guarantee you this, we could have had a better forward from the portal than Bell, Brown, Taylor or JBA.
You are right that we could have a better forward from the portal than the ones we have.

Conversely, we could have got a forward from another team who did not meet their expectations and miraculously would not meet our expectation.

There is no given in recruiting from high school or from via the portal. It is a crap shoot based on the best insight that the coaching staff had at the time.

Personally, I was more disappointed that we lost Quincy Guerrier two years ago than Kadary Richmond. In both cases, the players did not feel that they would obtain what they needed to get to the next level. Quincy would had been a starter the past two years. I do not know if he would get the outside play he desired.

You are right that we could have a better forward from the portal than the ones we have.

Conversely, we could have got a forward from another team who did not meet their expectations and miraculously would not meet our expectation.

There is no given in recruiting from high school or from via the portal. It is a crap shoot based on the best insight that the coaching staff had at the time.

Personally, I was more disappointed that we lost Quincy Guerrier two years ago than Kadary Richmond. In both cases, the players did not feel that they would obtain what they needed to get to the next level. Quincy would had been a starter the past two years. I do not know if he would get the outside play he desired.
Well, other schools seem to be able to identify quality players in the portal. And I went and watched Bell (he was known as Bunch at the time) and reported back to this board that the kid couldn't guard me at 66 with a bad knee. I'm not being mean either. If we aren't confidant that they can spot talent, then they have to go right now. Because we need an influx of talent right now.

Quincy isn’t even starting at Oregon and he was third team all ACC.

Well, other schools seem to be able to identify quality players in the portal. And I went and watched Bell (he was known as Bunch at the time) and reported back to this board that the kid couldn't guard me at 66 with a bad knee. I'm not being mean either. If we aren't confidant that they can spot talent, then they have to go right now. Because we need an influx of talent right now.
I had posted similar posts about Chris Bunch’s limited skill set (one-dimensional scorer/shooter).

Yet, they recruited him, signed him and started him. He has improved but still has a way to go to develop consistent, repeatable skills.

Tell me who on the coaching staff has identified forwards off the upcoming portal. Usually, the ones they identified are players they previously recruited. The only one I see in that category would be Bryce Golden and I m not sure if he is available.

I had posted similar posts about Chris Bunch’s limited skill set (one-dimensional scorer/shooter).

Yet, they recruited him, signed him and started him. He has improved but still has a way to go to develop consistent, repeatable skills.

Tell me who on the coaching staff has identified forwards off the upcoming portal. Usually, the ones they identified are players they previously recruited. The only one I see in that category would be Bryce Golden and I m not sure if he is available.
I would be surprised if we were even thinking that way right now. We might be thinking about JJ s a guard. But I have no idea.

There have been many discussions about how our recruiting has been ineffective and how we need to “pound the portal”. Isn’t the portal just another form of recruiting? Don’t the same reasons our recruiting has struggled (uncertainty about the coaching situation, perception that the zone doesn’t prepare players for the NBA, short bench, weather etc.) apply when recruiting players from the portal?

I suppose the main differences are ages (and hopefully maturity) of the portal players and Boeheim not traveling to watch games is not as much an issue, but why do people think we can just get players from the portal and we will magically upgrade our talent?
My younger boys (5th and 7th) were invited to participate in a Middle School AAU All Star event this weekend with players from all over the country. There were a lot of players, coaches and speakers at the 3 day event. One of the things explained by ALL of the college and HS coaches that spoke was that recruiting as we know it is over. The portal and NIL are the current and future direction of recruiting.

The message was that the 5 star players are still going to get recruited and offered NIL money, but most colleges are not focusing on recruiting HS players outside of the top kids anymore, their focus are on the kids that enter the portal, as that is a better way to identify, evaluate and determine the players they want. Regardless of the "why" of the transfer, coaches can evaluate the player, his potential and the “situational” challenges which made him enter the portal. They said a very high number of players that would have previously been recruited out of HS are not even getting offers. This includes D1, D2 and D3.

Last edited:
I don’t fully understand fans clamoring for reliance on the portal. Transfers are more of a known quantity than high school kids. I understand it from that angle, but transfers are most often just one year rentals who aren’t terribly concerned about the team winning or losing. They’re there for stats.

Transfers are a bandaid. A bandaid that takes significant minutes away from freshman who need time to develop. If we had brought in a transfer at Forward, we’d maybe have 1 or 2 fewer losses… maybe. We’d also see Bell hurting to find minutes and nobody would know Maliq Brown was even on the team. Then the transfer would bail and we’d be in the same boat next season, choosing between inexperienced players or half-interested rentals. Some transfers will stick around but good luck predicting that.
Grad transfers are one year rentals. Others are not. Hughes wasn’t one year. Kadary has been at Seton Hall since he left. Benny will be at least 2 years, where ever he goes.

I'm not saying we wouldn't be better with experienced upperclassmen. My original question was how is recruiting through the portal different from regular recruiting? Don't the portal recruits have the same concerns regarding the coaching situation, the zone the short bench etc.?
Well, if (as you proffered) they are one year rentals only concerned about stats and not about winning, those wouldn’t matter.

My younger boys (5th and 7th) were invited to participate in a Middle School AAU All Star event this weekend with players from all over the country. There were a lot of players, coaches and speakers at the 3 day event. One of the things explained by ALL of the college and HS coaches that spoke was that recruiting as we know it is over. The portal and NIL are the current and future direction of recruiting.

The message was that the 5 star players are still going to get recruited and offered NIL money, but most colleges are not focusing on recruiting HS players outside of the top kids anymore, their focus are on the kids that enter the portal, as that is a better way to identify, evaluate and determine the players they want. Regardless of the "why" of the transfer, coaches can evaluate the player, his potential and the “situational” challenges which made him enter the portal. They said the number of players that would have previously been recruited out of HS are not even getting offers. This includes D1, D2 and D3.
The problem is you’re going to run out of college kids if schools stop recruiting hs players.

The message was that the 5 star players are still going to get recruited and offered NIL money, but most colleges are not focusing on recruiting HS players outside of the top kids anymore, their focus are on the kids that enter the portal, as that is a better way to identify, evaluate and determine the players they want. Regardless of the "why" of the transfer, coaches can evaluate the player, his potential and the “situational” challenges which made him enter the portal. They said a very high number of players that would have previously been recruited out of HS are not even getting offers. This includes D1, D2 and D3.
In most case, you don’t have to invest time into developing freshman/non rotation players anymore if theyre just going to portal in a year. They can develop at mid majors and then portal to a HM once theyre more experienced.

Kids with years of college experience is prefered over HS kids esp if they’re not top 100. Kids want to play HM, you can recruit portal kids to be rotation bench pieces.

In most case, you don’t have to invest time into developing freshman/non rotation players anymore if theyre just going to portal in a year. They can develop at mid majors and then portal to a HM once theyre more experienced.

Kids with years of college experience is prefered over HS kids esp if they’re not top 100. Kids want to play HM, you can recruit portal kids to be rotation bench pieces.
You hit it on the head. It sucks.

The portal/NIL dynamic is new, but relying on older players to stock your roster is precisely how college hockey has operated for a long time. Top prep/high school kids go to the premiere programs, but the rest tap heavily into 19/20 year olds aging out of Juniors in the U.S., Canada and Europe.

Who knows, it may even help some kids who would get buried on P5 benches, but instead will go to mid-majors and actually play. It's not like those programs can ignore recruiting high schoolers.

The portal/NIL dynamic is new, but relying on older players to stock your roster is precisely how college hockey has operated for a long time. Top prep/high school kids go to the premiere programs, but the rest tap heavily into 19/20 year olds aging out of Juniors in the U.S., Canada and Europe.

Who knows, it may even help some kids who would get buried on P5 benches, but instead will go to mid-majors and actually play. It's not like those programs can ignore recruiting high schoolers.
It’s helped MM tremendously because it allows MM to get HM talent at a level they’ve never had before. Once HM kids can prove they can play at a MM, they want to jump back to HM. Issue is NCAA is trying to limit number of non sit out transfers (1x transfer only) so we’ll see what happens in the future.

I don’t think it’s an either or question. Recruit your core, hope they develop, and supplement with hired guns as needed. At the same time be honest with players who aren’t likely to play and help them find a landing place if they wish to go.
yeah except you cant play zone and use the portal...takes more than 1 year to learn zone

something's gotta give and the zone is here for good.

so tempting as it may be to prioritize wins over system...that wouldnt make sense...

have to honor the legacy of the 2003 team and only play the defense that the school is known for.

so cant use the portal, unfortunately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom