Rob Moore lays the smack down | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rob Moore lays the smack down

Just wow at the responses in this thread. I wholeheartedly agree with everything Moore said in that article, and would have no problem with him saying that to any coach or prospective athlete.

Many of you forget that Rob Moore himself was an underrated recruit from Long Island, who committed to an up and coming Syracuse football team. He has lived everything discussed in the article. He didn't need ND to help him along with his "brand". He made it himself at Syracuse and became a first round (supplemental) pick and pro bowl player. Why? Because he was obviously a good talent who got the most of his abilities at Syracuse. He has seen what getting "coached up" can do, seen the benefits of playing time, etc. Outside of Skov and Easley (who almost left Florida), what national level recruits out of NY have done a thing?

Kids, coaches, and families of those players need to think good and hard as to what is right for them in their career. A very small percentage of college players go on to have any semblance of a NFL career. Forget the XBox in the locker rooms. Does the school have a competitive academic profile? Academic support? What does the depth chart look like? Do they have a vested interest in my child's or players success? Does the scheme fit my strengths as an athlete? He's 100% correct. This is our recruiting pitch. Come here to play. Come here to develop. We care about you. Shafer embodies these beliefs within his coaching staff.

He doesn't sound like a "beaten down recruiter" to me. He sounds like he's not blowing smoke and sunshine up someone's ass. Rob Moore is not our best recruiter on this staff. He has been recruiting for 3 years. That's not a lot of time to understand the game per say. make connections, etc. You don't wake up a great recruiter, you become a great recruiter. As to the poser above who said that he was "less than impressed with (Moore's) coaching abilities" -- to be blunt, I think you are nuts. He has done a remarkable job with the kids on the roster, nearly having 2 1,000 yard receivers. None of whom were drafted by the way -- he was able to get the most out of Lemon and Sales' abilities. He is making these kids tacticians out there -- they run great routes and are extremely disciplined. They are all willing blockers. IMO, he is one of our best "coaches" on staff.

Just wow at the responses in this thread. I wholeheartedly agree with everything Moore said in that article, and would have no problem with him saying that to any coach or prospective athlete.

Consider the source(s).

Great post, a real voice of reason.

Many of you forget that Rob Moore himself was an underrated recruit from Long Island, who committed to an up and coming Syracuse football team. He has lived everything discussed in the article. He didn't need ND to help him along with his "brand". He made it himself at Syracuse and became a first round (supplemental) pick and pro bowl player. Why? Because he was obviously a good talent who got the most of his abilities at Syracuse. He has seen what getting "coached up" can do, seen the benefits of playing time, etc. Outside of Skov and Easley (who almost left Florida), what national level recruits out of NY have done a thing?

Kids, coaches, and families of those players need to think good and hard as to what is right for them in their career. A very small percentage of college players go on to have any semblance of a NFL career. Forget the XBox in the locker rooms. Does the school have a competitive academic profile? Academic support? What does the depth chart look like? Do they have a vested interest in my child's or players success? Does the scheme fit my strengths as an athlete? He's 100% correct. This is our recruiting pitch. Come here to play. Come here to develop. We care about you. Shafer embodies these beliefs within his coaching staff.

He doesn't sound like a "beaten down recruiter" to me. He sounds like he's not blowing smoke and sunshine up someone's ass. Rob Moore is not our best recruiter on this staff. He has been recruiting for 3 years. That's not a lot of time to understand the game per say. make connections, etc. You don't wake up a great recruiter, you become a great recruiter. As to the poser above who said that he was "less than impressed with (Moore's) coaching abilities" -- to be blunt, I think you are nuts. He has done a remarkable job with the kids on the roster, nearly having 2 1,000 yard receivers. None of whom were drafted by the way -- he was able to get the most out of Lemon and Sales' abilities. He is making these kids tacticians out there -- they run great routes and are extremely disciplined. They are all willing blockers. IMO, he is one of our best "coaches" on staff.

Thank you! Great response to a great article.

Great response and I think you were pretty much spot on with everything. Unfortunately in today's recruiting age recruits and there parents are much more suseptible to the "blowing smoke" recruiting pitch then what Moore is saying despite the fact that I believe Moore is 100% spot on. Moore's approach maybe more acceptable in a different area of the country, the NE especially NYC/NJ is a tough area to recruit when there is a big time prospect, going up against ND, PSU, Michigan, Florida, I dont think that kind of pitch is going to work and results show it hasn't.

Moore did a GREAT job with 2012 wideouts... I think he has his work cut out for him this year-- hoping for the best

I agree with CIL

As an add-on. Let the Prima Donna's go to a school with an ipod holder or whatever Rob Moore said. Syracuse isn't ever going to be that school. We are private school and a SU alum didn't create under armor or NIKE-- that is to say our resources are finite. Cuse lives and dies with recruitng a core of good "hardnosed" players and grabbing the occasional big fish (Tim Green, D. McNabb, Mavin Harrison...)

I'll take the Shamarko Thomas' of the world (I know he's not from NY) all day, everyday-- I HIGHLY doubt he cared about if a school had a ipod holder when he came out of HS.

I'm really excited for this season, I think this is as strong a team as we have had in a while.

From my perspective, this is an exceptional post and I applaud your belief system here.

I personally don't care what he said-I just hope he can grab a couple of recruits

Dyshawn Davis was a Rob Moore recruit from NJ, he fits the profile and has the chance to develop into an NFL player.

That comment sounds like it comes from a beaten recruiter. Not saying he is necessarily wrong, but I doubt we'd be hearing these gripes on NYC players had he been able to land one or two. Those comments would carry more weight if Rob had actually brought in some top flight talent.

I appreciate Rob Moore as a legacy player. But I've been less than impressed with his coaching/recruiting abilities.

Disagree to an extent.

I'd consider him a "beaten recruiter" if he lost kids to our peers when it comes to prestige, conference, & facilities.

He's not losing Long Island, NYC & NJ's top kids to UCONN, Buffalo, Maryland, and Pitt.

The battles we're losing in the New York metro area involve the very best kids - who end up signing with programs that far exceed ours in terms of facilities, Bowls over the last decade, media mentions, national TV appearances, fan bases/attendance at home games, and - until this year - conference affiliation. (ND, Miami, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan, VA Tech, etc.)

You could have the best marksman in the world, but he's gonna lose a gun battle 7 days a week and twice on Sunday if you send him in with a musket versus a guy brandishing an AK-47.

When facilities are on par, the team's winning 8-9 games a year, and the fans start showing up again, THEN and only then, will I be upset with our recruiters for missing out on the top-10 kids from LI, NYC & NJ.

Let me put it this way, I'm as big a fan of Syracuse as anybody, but if one of my sons was an elite recruit - being offered by Florida, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame in today's climate with the way things are now - then I'd tell him to go to one of those schools and not think twice.

Hate to say it, but the PROGRAM as a whole is not where it needs to be to retain the very best kids around.

They didn't grow up with SU football on TV in big games... They didn't grow up with Syracuse as a winning team... They didn't grow up with Syracuse even on their radar.

It's not Rob Moore's fault.

But ask me the same question in 3 years if we get new facilities, start drawing 48K per, and make 3 more Bowl games.

This whole not being able to recruit NY thing is getting blown out of proportion. We have so many big contributors from the area to say we have been unsuccessful just isn't fair. Since the Marrone era who have we really missed out on that we have really wanted other then Easly, Ishaq, and Ebo, and 2 of those are unproven.

Moore did a GREAT job with 2012 wideouts... I think he has his work cut out for him this year-- hoping for the best

I agree with CIL

As an add-on. Let the Prima Donna's go to a school with an ipod holder or whatever Rob Moore said. Syracuse isn't ever going to be that school. We are private school and a SU alum didn't create under armor or NIKE-- that is to say our resources are finite. Cuse lives and dies with recruitng a core of good "hardnosed" players and grabbing the occasional big fish (Tim Green, D. McNabb, Mavin Harrison...)

I'll take the Shamarko Thomas' of the world (I know he's not from NY) all day, everyday-- I HIGHLY doubt he cared about if a school had a ipod holder when he came out of HS.

I'm really excited for this season, I think this is as strong a team as we have had in a while.
I agree about this year's team being good and a surprise for the ACC

Recruits and their families also need to look at the behavior of a school after a players gets a potential career ending injury. Syracuse has an excellent track record for these types of cases when the player wants to stay in school.

There are posters here far more negative on recruits and players than Rob Moore has been. The players and their families read these boards as much as we do when the season is on or being recruited.

Think before hitting the reply button

Moore was and is correct. Kids these days have their heads in the clouds and think the world revolves around them. If the kids are such panzies that they cannot play in Syracuse, then they can write off their NFL dreams now. There are far worse weather conditions in NFL cities (Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, etc.) than in Syracuse in a Dome. Even Dallas in December can be cold!

If parents can be bought off with the dream of riding the pine in hopes of a chance to play at a big time program, then so be it. If parents want a great education and a great opportunity to shine, then Syracuse will accommodate.

Another selling point is that kids drafted to the NFL out of Syracuse usually have excellent NFL careers. The SEC cannot state the same, many don't last three years because they don't know how to work, they aren't intelligent and/or can't handle playing games in places that aren't 80 degrees in December.

If kids cannot handle what Moore has told them then they are probably not good candidates to succeed here or elsewhere. If a kid truly prefers another school for academic reasons, family legacy or some other legitimate reason, I wish them the best. However, I really don't miss the kids who play games and make glamor decisions rather than fundamentally sound decisions. If they have a real expectation of playing time at ND, great. If they are way down the line in their position, then they need a reality check. If they cannot handle it, they don't belong here.

Hard nosed kids make hard nosed decisions. They are hard nosed workers, too.

That comment sounds like it comes from a beaten recruiter. Not saying he is necessarily wrong, but I doubt we'd be hearing these gripes on NYC players had he been able to land one or two. Those comments would carry more weight if Rob had actually brought in some top flight talent.

I appreciate Rob Moore as a legacy player. But I've been less than impressed with his coaching/recruiting abilities.

What don't you like about his coaching?

He doesn't teach routes?

Or blocking technique? Or pure pass catching?

Disagree to an extent.

I'd consider him a "beaten recruiter" if he lost kids to our peers when it comes to prestige, conference, & facilities.

He's not losing Long Island, NYC & NJ's top kids to UCONN, Buffalo, Maryland, and Pitt.

The battles we're losing in the New York metro area involve the very best kids - who end up signing with programs that far exceed ours in terms of facilities, Bowls over the last decade, media mentions, national TV appearances, fan bases/attendance at home games, and - until this year - conference affiliation. (ND, Miami, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan, VA Tech, etc.)

You could have the best marksman in the world, but he's gonna lose a gun battle 7 days a week and twice on Sunday if you send him in with a musket versus a guy brandishing an AK-47.

When facilities are on par, the team's winning 8-9 games a year, and the fans start showing up again, THEN and only then, will I be upset with our recruiters for missing out on the top-10 kids from LI, NYC & NJ.

Let me put it this way, I'm as big a fan of Syracuse as anybody, but if one of my sons was an elite recruit - being offered by Florida, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame in today's climate with the way things are now - then I'd tell him to go to one of those schools and not think twice.

Hate to say it, but the PROGRAM as a whole is not where it needs to be to retain the very best kids around.

They didn't grow up with SU football on TV in big games... They didn't grow up with Syracuse as a winning team... They didn't grow up with Syracuse even on their radar.

But ask me the same question in 3 years if we get new facilities, start drawing 48K per, and make 3 more Bowl games.

G-r-r-r-r-r! Your hard-nose deserves a zit for that!
th

:mad:

Why?

Wow, he's sort of exactly right, but sort of way off-base.

He's absolutely right about the type of kids and the way kids are, absolutely.

But here's the thing...every other program in the country is dealing with the same kids. That isn't unique to NY kids or Syracuse.

The only disturbing thing about this is that it doesn't imply solutions. This sounds like a guy that doesn't have the answers, only (reasonable) excuses, and that's not promising. Kids aren't changing, high school coaches aren't changing, Syracuse's weather isn't changing, and a roster full of 2-star kids aren't going to compete for championships on a regular basis.

If he doesn't get that high school coaches need to be recruited too, and kids need to be "wowed", than it doesn't matter whether he's dead right or not, he's not going to succeed at recruiting.

Syracuse is always going to have facilities and weather disadvantages, and for the time being, they also have "recent relevance" and atmosphere disadvantages. The only way to overcome that is by working twice as hard at winning over coaches and kids, not throw your hands up and play hard to get. You can take the high road, but that will eventually get you fired.

Until Syracuse builds a reputation as a winner and an NFL pipeline again, you've got to figure out how to wow kids with what you do have. Some things have been mentioned...how they take care of kids that get hurt, how well their NFL players are prepared, and the opportunity for playing time for a legendary program now competing in a top-flight league again.

But most of all, what you have to sell is the relationship, the family atmosphere, and make it "feel like home". You have to kiss some ass. It's just the way it is, and it isn't changing, and all your competitors are doing it.

And I'm not sure I agree that everyone on the staff doesn't have to be a good recruiter. They don't have to necessarilly be a phenomenal recruiter, but every bad one is a distinct disadvantage to your competitors.

Syracuse is always going to have facilities and weather disadvantages, and for the time being, they also have "recent relevance" and atmosphere disadvantages. The only way to overcome that is by working twice as hard at winning over coaches and kids, not throw your hands up and play hard to get. You can take the high road, but that will eventually get you fired.

Not sure why you assume Moore is just "throwing his hands up." He was asked by a reporter why Syracuse has struggled landing the top in-state recruits and he gave the answer. It doesn't mean he or the staff have given up.

Disagree to an extent.

Why? What would be the reason to send him to one of those schools? Do you think he has a better chance at the NFL by going to one of those schools or is it about winning a NC, or that he will be better coached? Or is it because he will be babied and catered to more?

A lot of parents who don't have any allegiance will do the same, but your son would have just as good of a chance at the NFL at SU as anywhere else. The NFL has gotten pretty good at finding the talent regardless of where they went to school. IMO, it's more important to put your child in a situation where the scheme, coaching staff and environment are right for them. If those things are in place, your child has the best chance to succeed, whether it is at ND, Bama, SU or Stoney Brook. And the answer will not be the same for all kids. They're not all better off going to the most successful (W/L) programs.

Moore is a great WR coach from what Ive seen. And he's only been coaching for like 5 years now. He has work to do as a recruiter but Im only saying that based on the amount of commits from him. But we cant assume he doesn't put in the work and say the necessary things to get these recruits. I think he will get better as a recruiter in due time.

At the end of the day what he said is correct. That, however is not the important part.

It's like being a car salesman. When the old lady asks me if that yellow VW bug is "cute"? I say, "Hell yeah it is, it's the cutest thing we've ever had at the dealership. Everyone wants one". Now, the reality is, it's a ed looking car especially in yellow.

So the moral of the story is... it doesn't matter what the hell he thinks or says in the paper. The ONLY thing that matters is how he actually acts when he is recruiting. The answer to that I doubt very few on here actually know but I remember when we were living at the other place who's name I don't recall and it had a private clubhouse for those of us with stars on our bellies. Marrone was fairly new at his position and anytime a recruit felt as if they weren't receiving enough "love" from the coaching staff people knew about it. So I would imagine that if Moore was completely inept at what he was doing and/or turned recruits off with his demeanor we would have heard about it in some way, other than the one story from the NJ H.S. which has been beaten to death.

We do know at this point he's not tearing it up but that doesn't mean he won't as he gets better at his craft. I like the fact he's on the staff and I think our WR's have benefitted tremendously as a result and for that matter the entire offense.

plus you never know. That article may help us in a way. Coaches and players in the NYC area might look at that and think maybe they have to think differently about Cuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom