Second round pick Thomas Bryant... | Syracusefan.com

Second round pick Thomas Bryant...

The 2 new additional contracts each NBA team can now offer will really help second rounders.

Before this year an NBA team was only allowed 15 contracts. That's it. An NCAA player had to make the team or he would be cut and be a free agent. And with limited contracts NBA teams could not sign all second rounders every year, even if they really liked the player. It was just a numbers game.

Now if the team likes the second rounder they can put you on a two way contract. You will get paid low 6 figures to play in the "G" or "D" League (which is more than you would have before) or be paid more if you play in the NBA. This is a HUGE advantage to second rounders entering the draft than before, It allows teams to invest in more prospects and also fits in with the fact that many NBA teams now own their minor league teams and value development.

I suspect the normal suspects will totally choose to ignore this next year.

Last edited:
It does speak a little bit to me at least about high school rankings and how random they are. Bryant was clearly a bigger recruit than Lydon or a number of other guys. Just another reason why I don't sweat the recruiting rankings - gotta trust the staff is getting the guys who can play.

Had nothing to do with going to Indiana. His game didn't develop to a point where he'd be a first rounder this year. Instead of banging in the paint like a man his size should, he became a stretch 4/5 and he wasn't that good from deep.

Maybe you should go post this on the Ishaq thread? Really going to bash a kid because he made a decision? He was 17. Went to a a well known program, in a huge conference, and got drafted. Grow up

I didn't bash him -- that is an overreaction on your part. I suggested he made a bad decision.

He went somewhere where the coach got fired due to the team's performance. There are lots of reasons why his decision can be questioned that have nothing to do with where he got drafted. I don't need you to condescend to tell me what to think, just because you inferred something that wasn't implied.

What's to gain about starting a thread about how dumb a 17 year old is for not going to your favorite school because he's "only" a second round pick?

I mean, you're better than this?

"Dumb?" Boy, you and unknown are sure injecting a lot of bias into interpreting my initial post.

My bad for reading too much into your post about a 17 year old 'screwing up' and making a 'bad' decision. Carry on

My bad for reading too much into your post about a 17 year old 'screwing up' and making a 'bad' decision. Carry on

You're right -- it is your bad. Especially given the comparison to the Ishaq thread, when that sh[tshow was nothing like this thread in tone nor demeanor. I didn't gloat, I didn't revel in him dropping to the second round, I didn't wish him ill. I just observed that the decision he made didn't work out in an optimal fashion.

You're the one trying to turn it into something more. Quit trying so hard to be offended.

You're right -- it is your bad. Especially given the dopey comparison to the Ishaq thread. I didn't gloat, I didn't revel in him dropping to the second round, I didn't wish him ill. I just observed that the decision he made didn't work out in an optimal fashion.

You're the one trying to turn it into something more. Quit trying so hard to be offended.

Okay so let me ask you then. What if he came to Syracuse, left this year, and was selected at the exact same spot. Did he screw up and make a bad decision then?

Okay so let me ask you then. What if he came to Syracuse, left this year, and was selected at the exact same spot. Did he screw up and make a bad decision then?

Again, you are interjecting your bias by trying to guess my perspective on the draft issue. So let me course correct -- I'm of the opinion that kids should go pro as early as they can, given their limited window to earn. I BELIEVE Bryant made mistakes on numerous levels by not jumping last year, when his stock was probably higher. On that basis alone, he made a bad decision returning [again, my opinion only]. Had he come to Syracuse, he would have had the opportunity to be a part of better teams, possibly a contributor on a final four squad, and maybe a better team last year than what he experienced at Indiana, in a year where the team was barely over .500 and the coach got fired. But who knows--given that the scenario you are outlining is totally hypothetical.

I don't begrudge the kid his decision, but I'm allowed to respectfully question it -- that's the point you're missing.

I think one of our biggest area's of need the last two seasons was center. Bryant's ability to shoot and pass out of the highpost combined with being a legit lowpost threat would have really helped the FF team. Imagine him with TylerL, Mal, MikeG, Trevor operating around him. That BTW would have been four NBA players on the same team. Hard to think about last years team with Bryant since I believe he would have gone to the NBA after one season.

I know for sure that his decision was a bad one for SU as he would have been a key cog and a great fit coming in as a freshman.

Last edited:
It does speak a little bit to me at least about high school rankings and how random they are. Bryant was clearly a bigger recruit than Lydon or a number of other guys. Just another reason why I don't sweat the recruiting rankings - gotta trust the staff is getting the guys who can play.

Evan Daniels admitted on twitter last night they had Lydon ranked way too low.

Again, you are interjecting your bias by trying to guess my perspective on the draft issue. So let me course correct -- I'm of the opinion that kids should go pro as early as they can, given their limited window to earn. I BELIEVE Bryant made mistakes on numerous levels by not jumping last year, when his stock was probably higher. On that basis alone, he made a bad decision returning [again, my opinion only]. Had he come to Syracuse, he would have had the opportunity to be a part of better teams, possibly a contributor on a final four squad, and maybe a better team last year than what he experienced at Indiana, in a year where the team was barely over .500 and the coach got fired. But who knows--given that the scenario you are outlining is totally hypothetical.

I don't begrudge the kid his decision, but I'm allowed to respectfully question it -- that's the point you're missing.

Respectfully questioning would sound like this.

You have to wonder if Bryant made some missteps in his decision making.

You did not question anything. You stated unequivocally that he screwed up and made a bad decision. That's where you lost some people.

Respectfully questioning would sound like this.

You have to wonder if Bryant made some missteps in his decision making.

You did not question anything. You stated unequivocally that he screwed up and made a bad decision. That's where you lost some people.

That's fair, but I'm not going to split hairs. The first post was hardly inflammatory to the degree that some are interpreting.

But if the admins want to delete the thread, that's fine. Honestly was not looking to turn this into an Ishaq thread, certainly didn't intend it to be interpreted that way.

I think one of our biggest area's of need the last two seasons was center. Bryant's ability to shoot an pass out of the highpost combined with being a legit lowpost threat would have really helped the FF team. Imagine him with TylerL, Mal, MikeG, Trevor operating around him. That BTW would have been four NBA players on the same team. Hard to think about last years team with Bryant since I believe he would have gone to the NBA after one season.

I know for sure that his decision was a bad one for SU as he would have been a key cog and a great fit coming in as a freshman.

Basically how I feel.

Beyond that. I do think he messed up staying another year, but hindsight is 20/20. I do believe he may have been a better fit here.

He would have been able to display his skills down low on offense, and defense better. While possibly hiding some flaws in the zone. I would guess on that team, we put him in the league after one year. Just speculation, obviously. Who knows if we make a miracle run, and what happens to Mali. Ah, gotta love the scenarios that we will never know what would have been.

Regardless, if he works hard then he will be fine, but he has to really dedicate himself to keep improving in all aspects. Just like any player who gets a chance. Not sure if he has that attitude, or not. I wish him the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom