Second round pick Thomas Bryant... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Second round pick Thomas Bryant...

No doubt, those limitations were there regardless. I still think that JB/SU would have helped TB in the draft: 1) by developing him better; 2) by providing a better surrounding cast (IU made the post season but nowhere near the FF 2 seasons ago); and 3) SU players, even arguable second rounders, tend to get a very favorable look from NBS gm.s The last 6 years in a row are no accident.

I don't think it would've been a material difference one way or the other. He stayed a year too long. He leaves after his freshman year he's a first rounder and everyone says he made a great decision. He stayed and it's easy to say it was a bad one. I don't think the outcome in either situation is any different than if he was at SU or IU. As for your numbered points:

1) How would we have developed him better though? The questions aren't around his offense. His stock is hurt by having slow feet in a league where teams target that exact weakness in pick and rolls in space with their guards. Are his feet quicker if he comes to Syracuse?

2) That's very misleading. The F4 was an incredible run for the program and fans, but it's not like we were a consistent top 5-10 team all year long. We were the bubble team. IU was the B1G conference winner who beat UK before losing to UNC in S16 in a game that was similarly competitive to ours. This year both teams were bad but IU was better early on before injuries.

3) I don't like Crean and think he's got a slimy/weasel vibe to him but he's had success with getting guys to the league and is well regarded as well. Wade, Matthews, Zeller, Oladipo, Vonleh, Ferrell had a strong rookie year so I don't think that would've swung the scales much either way.

And he shouldn't have allowed Crean to talk him into coming back! That was the real poor decision Thomas Bryant made. He would have been drafted much higher after his freshman season than he was in this draft.

Haha. True. To a lesser extent perhaps Lydon as well.

Pretty dumb of Bryant not to see that final four run as a ten seed coming.

I think with Bryant we're a much higher seed, and have a much better chance to beat UNC. Still would've been the underdog, but adding a stud to the front court would've given us a shot.

As a Laker fan, I'm quite happy getting him at 42.

Wish he would've came to SU as we've been a better program than Indiana for like 25 years. But all the same, can't really knock a kid going to play bball for the Indiana Hoosiers and getting drafted. It's not like he went to some scrub school, or went to UK or Duke and sat the bench and then transferred or something.

It is interesting that Tyler Lydon, the much lower recruit, got drafted 18 spots higher. As much as these other clowns(Cal) like to spin things to act like they're doing something amazing in terms of "getting guys to the NBA" we shouldn't be quiet about the fact that we developed the lower recruit(who helped anchor a final four run for us) into the better pro prospect, based on the numbers. Come to SU, go to the final four, and move up the draft boards vs. go to Indiana and get drafted lower than your recruiting ranking suggests you should. Spin away! Everyone else is.

I'll bash him for not coming here. Read my post above to see why. It was a dumb decision -- his right

I disagree. IU sucked [by edit - at least this year per SoBe]. At SU, TB could have made us better and gotten MUCH more post-season exposure (and better coaching). Post-season exposure helps your draft stock.

Signed,

MR.
Post-season exposure only helps a player who hasn't fully displayed his skills and abilities during the course of the regular season.

As a Laker fan, I'm quite happy getting him at 42.

Wish he would've came to SU as we've been a better program than Indiana for like 25 years. But all the same, can't really knock a kid going to play bball for the Indiana Hoosiers and getting drafted. It's not like he went to some scrub school, or went to UK or Duke and sat the bench and then transferred or something.

It is interesting that Tyler Lydon, the much lower recruit, got drafted 18 spots higher. As much as these other clowns(Cal) like to spin things to act like they're doing something amazing in terms of "getting guys to the NBA" we shouldn't be quiet about the fact that we developed the lower recruit(who helped anchor a final four run for us) into the better pro prospect, based on the numbers. Come to SU, go to the final four, and move up the draft boards vs. go to Indiana and get drafted lower than your recruiting ranking suggests you should. Spin away! Everyone else is.

I think the Lakers nailed this draft. Have no love, or hate for them but they made great moves. Mozgoz, as well.

I'll throw Lonzo aside as that was obvious. Tatum is better, but getting rid of Russell and opening up space meant Ball. They will be good again soon. I would have been alright with Lydon falling to them. Not his style, though, so Denver works. I said he doesn't fall past the Lakers, but probably not even 23. I shall pat myself on the back. One spot off. This was a trade crazy draft, and weak Internationally.

TB is a great pick. He didn't magically lose his ability. IU isn't what they once were. That's fine. I like the kid, and think he could really contribute. Solid draft overall by the Lakers.

If you had told me the longest thread the day after the draft would be about Thomas Bryant, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now

If you had told me the longest thread the day after the draft would be about Thomas Bryant, if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am now

For context purposes, how many times have you woken up with your head sewn to the carpet...

No more arguing to be done on if Lydon made the right decision in going pro. So now it's onto Bryant and whether he made the right decision in choosing his college. The pot must be stirred at all times!

Interesting how our society has gotten to the point that fooling one/some, is more comprehensive than the masqueraded talent itself. Good for those NBA execs who weren't played/placed in those positions a year or two ago only to find out that many of these guys, from a talent standpoint, don't come close to warrant that kind of coin. Regardless, sooner or later their facade would've been exposed. No different than in the real world when it becomes obvious that one's apparent talent is for not.

Does Andrew White even have a thread? I must have missed it. Best of luck to TB. Though, I'll be hoping White finds a spot, and does much better. He worked out for teams that could give him a good chance to succeed.

Never mind, there it is. Cavs are a nice spot

Hope he goes the Danny Green route, and goes from Cleveland to SA. But, he he could do well there as a shooter until LeBron leaves.

...screwed up going to Indiana.

Bad decision on his part.

Have been away and just seeing this. If Bryant made a bad decision then what the hell did Roberson do? Can't just cherry pick certain guys that still got drafted when we get guys that are ranked similar and actually have them get worse over their jr/sr years due to destroying their confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom