Class of 2025 - SF Sadiq White (NC / IMG) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (5/29/24) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SF Sadiq White (NC / IMG) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (5/29/24)

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, it’s always awesome to land a big recruit! But am I the only person that finds it hard to get as excited over commits these days given the landscape of college athletics?
You're not alone but probably fairly lonely. But I'll never be as excited again as I was back in 81/82 watching Pearl commit at half time of the national game of the week. (that's my memory at least) The Bazley situation left me disappointed as my kids and I went to a few of his HS games wearing our Cuse gear. But its commitments like this that keep me excited for the Orangey future of the program.

You're not alone but probably fairly lonely. But I'll never be as excited again as I was back in 81/82 watching Pearl commit at half time of the national game of the week. (that's my memory at least) The Bazley situation left me disappointed as my kids and I went to a few of his HS games wearing our Cuse gear. But its commitments like this that keep me excited for the Orangey future of the program.

Talked to Al McGuire, as I recall.

I'm super happy about this, but in the spirit of the current age of college recruiting, I'm also just as anxious for these kids to flip their commitment like the #15 recruit just did yesterday.

Not every kid wants to commit as early as Sadiq White, so yes, it is nerve-wracking. I think we will all exhale a big sigh of relief when Kiyan announces.

Seems LJ visited officially, second visit. Unless it was just sloppy reporting. Any idea if the staff is looking to add him as a bookend forward to White? Don't know if their skillsets are complimentary. But would be a nice athleticism boost to the front line.
They are very complimentary, London is one of my favorite players in the class. Very good shooter, ball handlings skills, efficient and defense is coming along. His strengths are sadiqs weakness and his weakness are sadiqs strengths. He will finish as a top 30 kid at least.

They are very complimentary, London is one of my favorite players in the class. Very good shooter, ball handlings skills, efficient and defense is coming along. His strengths are sadiqs weakness and his weakness are sadiqs strengths. He will finish as a top 30 kid at least.
Yeah I like him too and think they could pair up.

This kid is going to hear 30,000 Dome fans go nuts when he slams one down. That’s gonna be his reward for choosing Orange - an experience you can’t get elsewhere in college hoops

Never said anyone was. Instead of letting your defensive impulse drive you maybe take the time to realize my point is more about how sad it is that a big time recruit is likely either flipping or leaving for a bigger pay day than it is in telling people how they should feel. Absolutely wasn’t the latter.

I’m pumped for the commitment, but also realizing that the chances of him flipping for a bag are far greater now than they were in years past due to the NIL and basic free agency every offseason. That kind of kills the excitement around recruiting and it really, really sucks.
Yeah, I get it. I just think that IF one is going to continue to follow recruiting (high school and portal), you've got to find your excitement where and when you can. Otherwise, I would just pull out of threads that discuss such things (which I think some fans have already done). Either way works.

Sadiq is going to be so much fun to watch in the Dome. That athleticism is just off the charts. I'm still floored that we were able to pull a Top 25-ish recruit out of NC, of all states.
This is where playing in the ACC is a benefit for those who blame leaving the Big East as the reason for the downfall. Adjust your recruiting territory or footprint then, extend it father down the east coast if you need to.

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, it’s always awesome to land a big recruit! But am I the only person that finds it hard to get as excited over commits these days given the landscape of college athletics?
You're not the only one. I get excited but not like I used to.

White and Jemison would be a really great forward tandem, in the classic Syracuse mold. 6'8"-6'9", 200-210lbs jumping jacks that can do everything on the court.

Put a Lampkin clone in between them and a couple guards out there that can really shoot, and it will be a fun year!

You're not the only one. I get excited but not like I used to.
Same. Though it was great to hear how much the relationships meant to this kid. Maybe we’ll have a chance of keeping him down the road if those relationships pan out for him here. Also wonder if a player like Kiyan Anthony is less likely to be wooed by NIL differences given that money is not a concern for his family. Certainly he’s his own guy and money matters, but love the idea of getting a pair of recruits that are drawn in by the Cuse bball family.

Amazing job by the staff. Hard work pays off. It’s simple. Kiyan is next and then Anotha oneeee

make it so.gif

I'm super happy about this, but in the spirit of the current age of college recruiting, I'm also just as anxious for these kids to flip their commitment like the #15 recruit just did yesterday.

I wonder.

I was more concerned a couple of months ago when it looked like local [for him] schools like UNC were beginning to kick the tires.

But for him to make the choice so early demonstrates that there's a level of psychological commitment. He also took several unofficials here. Don't think we have much to worry about with this recruit.

Nice full game highlight package here:

Some other players were interesting. Sir Mohammad, committed to Notre Dame, and maybe we should get involved with Zymicah Wilkins 2025 who isn’t committed yet.

A loss here. Our guy didn’t have a great game. A few dunks/layups. Rebounds. Blocks. But he did nothing away from the rim—no outside stuff. The star here was Isaiah Evans, who looked like Durant playing pickup ball. I thought he was taller than 6-6. Going to Duke, uggggh. 48 points.

A loss here. Our guy didn’t have a great game. A few dunks/layups. Rebounds. Blocks. But he did nothing away from the rim—no outside stuff. The star here was Isaiah Evans, who looked like Durant playing pickup ball. I thought he was taller than 6-6. Going to Duke, uggggh. 48 points.
Nice sequence from 11:54 - 12:10 mark, showing off his athleticism on offense then defense.

His teammates didn’t get him the ball enough in this game. Re: Evans… Sadiq is a little taller and more athletic, but Evan’s shooting/scoring ability is on another planet and was unguardable. Ridiculous performance against the loaded Myers Park team

Last edited:

Well, according to Adam Finkelstein we shouldn’t expect much from the perimeter from White. Here’s part of his review:
”From a skill standpoint, White is still a work in progress. He is not yet a consistent shooting threat from the perimeter and can get inefficient when trying to prove otherwise or settling for low percentage face-up shots. What the lefty does have is an advanced right hand, an expanding ability to get downhill, and play through contact. There are even some occasional signs of a passing instinct.”

Well, according to Adam Finkelstein we shouldn’t expect much from the perimeter from White. Here’s part of his review:
”From a skill standpoint, White is still a work in progress. He is not yet a consistent shooting threat from the perimeter and can get inefficient when trying to prove otherwise or settling for low percentage face-up shots. What the lefty does have is an advanced right hand, an expanding ability to get downhill, and play through contact. There are even some occasional signs of a passing instinct.”
Wait a minute! Hold the presses! Shooters can be less efficient if they force shots or take low percentage ones? Someone should tell coaches, so they can tell the players.

Wait a minute! Hold the presses! Shooters can be less efficient if they force shots or take low percentage ones? Someone should tell coaches, so they can tell the players.
The point is the “not a consistent threat from the perimeter” I think.

I think that's fine. Shooting will come. We can be patient considering we'll have other shooters and he has the kind of athleticism we've been missing.