Shrader is a Leader | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader is a Leader

Shrader is 44th in the country in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing TDs. He's 2nd in yards amongst QBs. Had he been a starter all year, he is likely the leading QB rusher and leading the country in rushing TDs.
As he and the receivers get a better working relationship and the passing game and stats improve, we might have 2 guys who are in the Heisman discussion. Thanks Dino and Sterlin.

Shrader is 44th in the country in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing TDs. He's 2nd in yards amongst QBs. Had he been a starter all year, he is likely the leading QB rusher and leading the country in rushing TDs.

Let’s also not forget his QB rating is a solid 119.4 currently

so he’s also getting the job done when he needs to throw

Completely get all the positive board vibes around GS. That said I am not sure what what the value of the coulda, woulda, shoulda is at this point. Not a single person knows why he didn't start game 1 but for Dino and Gilbert. It could be a number of reasons why. We can go back every year and rationalize if we had just done certain things we would be champions and undefeated every year. GS is our starter, he is providing leadership and an exciting and competitive style of play. No corners are turned but good things are starting to happen again. That's a positive that I can latch onto as a fan. No need to look back at this point and dwell on something that didn't happen.

Completely get all the positive board vibes around GS. That said I am not sure what what the value of the coulda, woulda, shoulda is at this point. Not a single person knows why he didn't start game 1 but for Dino and Gilbert. It could be a number of reasons why. We can go back every year and rationalize if we had just done certain things we would be champions and undefeated every year. GS is our starter, he is providing leadership and an exciting and competitive style of play. No corners are turned but good things are starting to happen again. That's a positive that I can latch onto as a fan. No need to look back at this point and dwell on something that didn't happen.
Bingo. Some people thought Sean wouldnt have played if Jordan hadnt got hurt and Howard/Adams hadnt opted out. As if the staff wouldnt have recognized the physical attributes of Tucker in practice.

Last edited:
Great post. Brian Higgins yesterday on the radio was saying that if you just went by practice, Devito was the clear starter. But Dino said you have to see how they elevate their play in actual games. Huge credit for making the tough decision. The Baber hating spin doctors- including the clown who hosts the local talk show after Steve Infanti's show- will of course run the " Why didn't they run him out there from the get go?" As I said before, his mistakes- of which he has clearly made a few- have been multiplied by people like Brent Axe with their 20/20 hindsight every time he makes a 50/50 call that doesn't work out.

Let’s also not forget his QB rating is a solid 119.4 currently

so he’s also getting the job done when he needs to throw

That isn't solid at all. It is pretty bad. His rating is one of the worst at 96th. Anything under 135 is less than solid.

Great post. Brian Higgins yesterday on the radio was saying that if you just went by practice, Devito was the clear starter. But Dino said you have to see how they elevate their play in actual games. Huge credit for making the tough decision. The Baber hating spin doctors- including the clown who hosts the local talk show after Steve Infanti's show- will of course run the " Why didn't they run him out there from the get go?" As I said before, his mistakes- of which he has clearly made a few- have been multiplied by people like Brent Axe with their 20/20 hindsight every time he makes a 50/50 call that doesn't work out.
It’s absurd, for many reasons including keeping the the locker room / team morale in tact Dino had to give TD every chance to show he could win, and he did that. Also, during spring and summer camp QBs get the green jersey, there will a no way to see the true value of GS until he was put out in a live game. Dino handled the WB situation fine and made the right call before ACC play started. As you said, these Monday morning QBs are going to jump all over any decision that doesn’t work out. Didn’t hear any praise for the 4th down decisions that worked out last Saturday !

That isn't solid at all. It is pretty bad. His rating is one of the worst at 96th. Anything under 135 is less than solid.
It’s pretty good for a guy who is out rushing the best RB in the country. He’s “getting it done” by being a threat with his arm, imperfect as it is

Oh right, colleges rating is totally different than the NFLs rating

that’s my bad

But I don’t think it’s terrible for GS. I think he’s doing what needs to be done for someone who everyone said wouldn’t ever be able to throw the ball

Last I knew, Garrett was still rated below Tommy.

I believe we have seen instances back in the day when Eric was rated poorly by this rating too. Not sure it is worth paying attention to, at least for dual threat QBs.

It’s pretty good for a guy who is out rushing the best RB in the country. He’s “getting it done” by being a threat with his arm, imperfect as it is
I am all for Shrader but his passing has a long way to go.

For comparison vs the P5 other running QBs who are not good passers:

Shrader 115.15
Burmeister 121.13
Anthony Brown 135.51
Cunningham 140.03

Those 3 cannot pass the ball and Shrader is well below them.

I could give a rats ass about rating , 430 yards is the # I care about
I agree all that matters is yards, points, and Ws. Just pointing out that he has a long way to go as a passer.

I agree all that matters is yards, points, and Ws. Just pointing out that he has a long way to go as a passer.
Saturday just out of memory he had two long passes that could have been caught that weren’t A few he threw away and two were complete miscommunications . He had about 3 or so wounded ducks . I don’t know if he will ever be the great passer , he does seem to be getting in step with his recievers , particularly CJ. and improving as he gets more time as starter.

Saturday just out of memory he had two long passes that could have been caught that weren’t A few he threw away and two were complete miscommunications . He had about 3 or so wounded ducks . I don’t know if he will ever be the great passer , he does seem to be getting in step with his recievers , particularly CJ. and improving as he gets more time as starter.

I know one pass that wasn’t a lame duck

and that was the last pass of the game perfectly landed into Alfords hand for the game winning 42 yard TD pass

Tommy’s rating is benefited by the Albany blow out.

However, Tommy’s rating last season was 111

which is even below GS and is a “throwing” qb

Didn’t want to throw anymore mud on Tommy but if we’re going down this road….

Not discounting anything. The reason we don’t know is that it’s a hypothetical - a guess - but we only lost 1 game during that period. So the best we could do is +1 win. Maybe that translates to a win in the Wake or FSU games?

That’s a lot of guessin
That's not true. The FSU game was also affected. The playcalling was very different from then to now. If he starts from day one, the offense likely evolves earlier and the FSU gameplan is different.

I also heard that the team charter was delayed leaving Blacksburg Regional, I think it was the left Filangy. Can’t believe Dino didn’t have his personal aircraft mechanic inspect the plane beforehand . Devastating emotional impact, what’s wrong with him!!!

It’s absurd, for many reasons including keeping the the locker room / team morale in tact Dino had to give TD every chance to show he could win, and he did that. Also, during spring and summer camp QBs get the green jersey, there will a no way to see the true value of GS until he was put out in a live game. Dino handled the WB situation fine and made the right call before ACC play started. As you said, these Monday morning QBs are going to jump all over any decision that doesn’t work out. Didn’t hear any praise for the 4th down decisions that worked out last Saturday !

Absurd is the correct word because that is exactly what it is

I also heard that the team charter was delayed leaving Blacksburg Regional, I think it was the left Filangy. Can’t believe Dino didn’t have his personal aircraft mechanic inspect the plane beforehand . Devastating emotional impact, what’s wrong with him!!!

he needs to pound the portal for a Delta or a retired people's express mechanic!! POUND THE AVIATION PORTAL!!! If not, I am done giving up my seasons!!!

he needs to pound the portal for a Delta or a retired people's express mechanic!! POUND THE AVIATION PORTAL!!! If not, I am done giving up my seasons!!!
Ditto !!!

As soon as Dino stops making critical mistake the "hating spin doctors" will stop pointing them out. As of right now DB is a below average head coach. If he doesn't change his bad decisions he won't produce many wins and won't/shouldn't be the SU coach. If DB actually said "you have to see how they elevate their play in actual games" then why didn't GS play in the first game and only a few minutes in game two? I don't give credit to DB making the change because it was never really a balanced evaluation and only made the change due to TD's usual bad QB play in the Rutgers game. It really wasn't a hard choice at that point to give GS his time at starting QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom