So if we had talent from say the 1987-89 period | Syracusefan.com

So if we had talent from say the 1987-89 period

Toga

Living Legend
How many national titles would we have won since 2004?

We’d have been the favorite every single year for a long time. Though now with 3 being worth more than 2 and teams being loaded with shooting being so common, and our lack of outside shooting, we’d be subject to random upsets from hot shooting teams with less talent.

However there’s probably 5-10 other teams from that era that never won titles that you could say would win many titles in the last 15 years. The talent level was way higher across the board when almost everybody stayed in school for 4 years, obviously.

I don't know but it would be more than just the one. We were recruiting as well as anyone in those days. The first investigation/probation/post-probation experience knocked us back for a decade. We're still in the second one. Without the probations, we'd be an elite program instead of just a respected one.

As an aside, I recall that most of those teams from that era outshot / outplayed their opponents from the floor but ultimately would lose the game from the free throw line. Just from memory, I may be wrong but believe those SU teams shot free throws in the mid 60 percent range and when they lost the opponent would either get to the line more or shoot more efficiently. Someone recently has begun teaching the players how to shoot free throws, especially the bigs. They seem to release the ball closer to the basket and more in front of themselves rather than over their head. Stevie Thompson in particular was an adventure at the free throw line. Bottom line, if those late 1980s teams could have been more efficient from the free throw line, they would have picked up several more wins a season and rarely loss.

As an aside, I recall that most of those teams from that era outshot / outplayed their opponents from the floor but ultimately would lose the game from the free throw line. Just from memory, I may be wrong but believe those SU teams shot free throws in the mid 60 percent range and when they lost the opponent would either get to the line more or shoot more efficiently. Someone recently has begun teaching the players how to shoot free throws, especially the bigs. They seem to release the ball closer to the basket and more in front of themselves rather than over their head. Stevie Thompson in particular was an adventure at the free throw line. Bottom line, if those late 1980s teams could have been more efficient from the free throw line, they would have picked up several more wins a season and rarely loss.

(For some reason Cuse.com doesn't have 1987-88)

(For some reason Cuse.com doesn't have 1987-88)

That was the worst year of all, I crunched the numbers years ago. Nine losses, three by 1 point and eight by 4 or fewer points, for a team that shot 60% from the line. It was really a situation in which 15 missed free throws was the difference between wire-to-wire #1 and possible national champion and just another "what-if" team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom