So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in

If nobody else leaves and and QG comes back that is 11 scholarship players which includes Owens who on most teams would be a walk on. I think they need to bring in at least one more player. I'm not sure who would want to transfer here when Buddy and Joe play so many minutes but we are one injury at guard from being in trouble. If QG comes back I think this group can be better than this year's team but without him rebounding and defense will be missing big time. They should certainly shoot the lights out though.

Listen to the podcast with Cole. He talks a lot about being good on the boards that wasn't something he got show off at Nova.
Thats good. But we were a weak rebounding team as is. Adequate to pair him with Q, as I’m guessing Cole’s at least as effective rebounding as Marek.

Without Q, I hope Girard continues rebounding well and Symir imposes his physicality. Agreed with everyone we need Frank to spend some time at the 4 too.

I agree with you in my hope. What you say makes sense.

My worry is that we just went a year with Marek at the 5 after Sid went down as a starter.

So, I hope you are right. I won't bet on it.

I mean I wouldn't bet on the kid seeing a lot of the floor but I would bet on having 10 surefire kids on scholarship who could play. Going in with 9 guys plus Chaz and leaving 3 scholarships on the table is like self imposed scholly limits.

JG, ST, BB,JB,CS,BW, JE,BS plus FA? You only have Chaz and then 3 open schollies if QG leaves. 11 schollies minimum I think is right to expect- leaves one for a walk on and banks one for 22.

Thats good. But we were a weak rebounding team as is. Adequate to pair him with Q, as I’m guessing Cole’s at least as effective rebounding as Marek.

Without Q, I hope Girard continues rebounding well and Symir imposes his physicality. Agreed with everyone we need Frank to spend some time at the 4 too.

Don't forget Benny is a really high level athlete. He should hold his own too.

I'm going to guess that Q pursues professional hoops and Frankie stays.

Guards are Joey G, Jackson and Symir, Symir playing the role of relief man.

Forwards are Benny, Jimmy Jr., and Cole. Remains to be seen who starts but all three will see time on the court.

Centers as of now look like it's choose 2 of Bourama, Jesse and Frankie getting minutes. Assuming health, seems like a lock that Sidibe is one of the 2 that plays. That is an assumption that has some risk though given his injury history.

It's an interesting squad. It feels like a natural 8 man rotation, but the 2 starting guards, the 3 forwards, and the starting center probably project to be the main 6, with some minutes for Torrence and the backup center.

I think it's a good team that has some limitations so we'll compete but struggle a lot against teams that can attack what we don't do well. There are some things we can find answers for that seem unsettled (rebounding/interior defense and offense) and some things that we might have a hard ceiling on (playmaking/defense up top).

I'm optimistic that we will comfortably make the tournament and not sweat out the bubble, but it feels a little fragile. I think we're playing with fire on depth and would feel a lot better if we're not done on the recruiting trail/portal pounding for next season.
You know... I'm concerned about overall athleticism, but I see some promising pieces here. I'm calling a 22-10 type season.

What is scary is what's after those 8 (if you think those 8 can be competitive).

We are one injury away at every position group from basically having to go iron man or out of position.
Some portal kids are going to be left scrambling for a school to go to, surely we can scoop up some talented players late in the game.

Don't forget Benny is a really high level athlete. He should hold his own too.

With the shooting we have, I think Benny is going to have lots of chances to take his man one on one and create offense. Couple that with pick and pop options like Swider and Jimmy Jr and you have some real options when an opponent gets in your grill and focuses on Buddy. My concerns are rebounding and the Marek option in breaking the press. I’m hoping Benny or Cole can be the point forward with handle who helps with pressure. Should be a real fun year and constant threads on our team, as well as how our former players are doing.

Cuse

I don’t know enough about the players coming in to contribute any analysis of much value quite yet so I’ll have to wait for a few games. Every year I want a chance to compete for another title though.

I’d have to imagine both Cole & Junior are at least on par w Marek in rebounding, if not upgrades.
No worse than a push.

While they each are 2” shorter, they both have 20+ lbs of muscle on Doley.

Q is shorter than all of them, but uses his beef to carve out space to board.

JGIII showed a nice nose for the ball later in this season too.

I really wish Buddy would simply follow his own shots.
He starts drifting back down court after the release 100% of the time.
And a non-trivial number of his misses go right back to the area he just vacated, which then becomes an ez board for the opponent, that he should have had simply by just standing there.

I still think we bring in one more player, whether it’s a transfer or HS recruit. A versatile player who can play multiple positions.
There’s going to be a ton of kids still in the portal at the end of the summer that still need a new home. I would be surprised if we don’t snag one or two

I’d have to imagine both Cole & Junior are at least on par w Marek in rebounding, if not upgrades.
No worse than a push.

And a non-trivial number of his misses go right back to the area he just vacated, which then becomes an ez board for the opponent, that he should have had simply by just standing there.
If only our multi-million dollar coaching staff would have noticed that and coached him on it.

Some fans are going to complain regardless because that‘s the way the board turns these days, but I think we are solid. I think we are underestimating how hard it is to build a roster for multiple seasons in this era of college basketball. It’s going to be like NBA free agency every year now.

Oh, I'm going to wait a bit, but rest assured - I HAVE COMPLAINTS!!!!! :)

Yeah, I don't think he saw the Jimmy thread. Let's put the discussion of Owens on ice for now.
I will give you this, if Chaz is on the team for the reason that people have stipulated, and he is occupying the 4th guard spot, and the staff isn't going to bring in another guard because of that, that would be gross coaching incompetence, malfeasance or ineptitude.

No worse than a push.

I think with Buddy’s lack of speed he needs to get back on D as soon as possible.Following your shot has consequences if you don’t get the rebound.Im not a b-ball coach, but aren’t long range shooters taught once they release the ball they should get back on D?

I will give you this, if Chaz is on the team for the reason that people have stipulated, and he is occupying the 4th guard spot, and the staff isn't going to bring in another guard because of that, that would be gross coaching incompetence, malfeasance or ineptitude.

Your thoughts, Grotto? ;)

This team is .500 , hopefully they load up on patsies. I’m worried who’s gonna handle the ball when Joe’s getting eaten up.

We’re fine at center if Anselem stays.

Yeah, that's a big if though. That said, if he does, that's a solid group at the center spot. I would be quite excited about that position, provided that Sidibe can stay healthy.

His name is Symir Torrence.
You mean the Symir Torrence who had the maturity to accept his role as largely a spot player and wait his turn for a major role while developing himself at Marquette, instead of acting out like a petulant child?

You mean the Symir Torrence who had the maturity to accept his role as largely a spot player and wait his turn for a major role while developing himself at Marquette, instead of acting out like a petulant child?

Seriously enough. Enough of this crap just as much as the stuff with Joe. Suck it up and get over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom