So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in | Syracusefan.com

So the 8 man rotation feels pretty locked in

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I'm going to guess that Q pursues professional hoops and Frankie stays.

Guards are Joey G, Jackson and Symir, Symir playing the role of relief man.

Forwards are Benny, Jimmy Jr., and Cole. Remains to be seen who starts but all three will see time on the court.

Centers as of now look like it's choose 2 of Bourama, Jesse and Frankie getting minutes. Assuming health, seems like a lock that Sidibe is one of the 2 that plays. That is an assumption that has some risk though given his injury history.

It's an interesting squad. It feels like a natural 8 man rotation, but the 2 starting guards, the 3 forwards, and the starting center probably project to be the main 6, with some minutes for Torrence and the backup center.

I think it's a good team that has some limitations so we'll compete but struggle a lot against teams that can attack what we don't do well. There are some things we can find answers for that seem unsettled (rebounding/interior defense and offense) and some things that we might have a hard ceiling on (playmaking/defense up top).

I'm optimistic that we will comfortably make the tournament and not sweat out the bubble, but it feels a little fragile. I think we're playing with fire on depth and would feel a lot better if we're not done on the recruiting trail/portal pounding for next season.

What’s the date on when Q would have to pull his name from the draft?

Really would love to catch a break and have a guy return, for an extra year, that probably shouldn’t.

Some fans are going to complain regardless because that‘s the way the board turns these days, but I think we are solid. I think we are underestimating how hard it is to build a roster for multiple seasons in this era of college basketball. It’s going to be like NBA free agency every year now.

Forwards are Benny, Jimmy Jr., and Cole. Remains to be seen who starts but all three will see time on the court.

Centers as of now look like it's choose 2 of Bourama, Jesse and Frankie getting minutes. Assuming health, seems like a lock that Sidibe is one of the 2 that plays. That is an assumption that has some risk though given his injury history.

It's an interesting squad. It feels like a natural 8 man rotation, but the 2 starting guards, the 3 forwards, and the starting center probably project to be the main 6, with some minutes for Torrence and the backup center.

I think it's a good team that has some limitations so we'll compete but struggle a lot against teams that can attack what we don't do well. There are some things we can find answers for that seem unsettled (rebounding/interior defense and offense) and some things that we might have a hard ceiling on (playmaking/defense up top).

I'm optimistic that we will comfortably make the tournament and not sweat out the bubble, but it feels a little fragile. I think we're playing with fire on depth and would feel a lot better if we're not done on the recruiting trail/portal pounding for next season.

Yep. Another wing who can play both F/G would be ideal. Chaz is on scholly and certainly given his pedigree and size may have a shot someday to play but I would be surprised if it was so soon. That slasher/extra ball handler in a pinch would really polish things off.

Q coming back would be massive. Gives rebounding and a low post presence. Someone who can play in the post also helps w spacing. I otherwise don’t know where the rebounding or any sort of post game would come from. Maybe Cole but he seems to be more of a shooter.

Yep. Another wing who can play both F/G would be ideal. Chaz is on scholly and certainly given his pedigree and size may have a shot someday to play but I would be surprised if it was so soon. That slasher/extra ball handler in a pinch would really polish things off.
I mean realistically I think it would be great to have one more guard and one more forward, but that seems to be a scorcher of an opinion.

Q coming back would be massive. Gives rebounding and a low post presence. Someone who can play in the post also helps w spacing. I otherwise don’t know where the rebounding or any sort of post game would come from. Maybe Cole but he seems to be more of a shooter.

Cole is a shooter but Nova plays a 4 out offense so he wasn't going to get many looks on the block anyways. He is skilled around the basket as he was in HS so it's very possible he gets more opportunities.

Need Sidibe’s health if Q doesn’t return.

Thats a lot of bodies hanging around the perimeter that aren’t inclined to work for boards. Imo another live or die by the three Cuse team.

I mean realistically I think it would be great to have one more guard and one more forward, but that seems to be a scorcher of an opinion.

Our coach’s short rotation hurts us here. Economically it may make sense to go after a high school kid, but I don’t think they want to scare off the Copeland and Taylor’s of the world.

Thats a lot of bodies hanging around the perimeter that aren’t inclined to work for boards. Imo another live or die by the three Cuse team.

Listen to the podcast with Cole. He talks a lot about being good on the boards that wasn't something he got show off at Nova.

What is scary is what's after those 8 (if you think those 8 can be competitive).

We are one injury away at every position group from basically having to go iron man or out of position.

I agree. It will be interesting to see if Jimmy Jr. can rebound consistently against better competition. Also, I am going to be harping on “Frank at the Four” as a Terrence Roberts type PF.

What’s the date on when Q would have to pull his name from the draft?

Really would love to catch a break and have a guy return, for an extra year, that probably shouldn’t.

I don’t think it’s till July.

Our coach’s short rotation hurts us here. Economically it may make sense to go after a high school kid, but I don’t think they want to scare off the Copeland and Taylor’s of the world.

Yeah this is why I think looking at an overseas kid and flipping over some rocks like we did with Marek, Kong, Jesse etc could be an option when looking for another guard/wing. It's depth plus the possibility you get more than expected.

What is scary is that what's after those 8 (if you think those 8 can be competitive).

We are one injury away at every position group from basically having to go iron man or out of position.

I know we have our criticism of the staff but I just can't see them letting us heading into next year with 9 guys Chaz included. Both Q and Frank have to be replaced if they leave and at bare minimum replace Q if he does.

Yeah this is why I think looking at an overseas kid and flipping over some rocks like we did with Marek, Kong, Jesse etc could be an option when looking for another guard/wing. It's depth plus the possibility you get more than expected.
I wouldn’t mind a tall lanky Euro point guard.

forward seems set. Its G that needs more.

In a recent article about jimmy coming to SU JB mentioned going after nother player...wasnt sure if that was a reference to jimmy or an additional player...hope it means there are more players in the pipeline for next year's roster...

need to add some athleticism.

I know we have our criticism of the staff but I just can't see them letting us heading into next year with 9 guys Chaz included. Both Q and Frank have to be replaced if they leave and at bare minimum replace Q if he does.

I agree with you in my hope. What you say makes sense.

My worry is that we just went a year with Marek at the 5 after Sid went down as a starter.

So, I hope you are right. I won't bet on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom