So | Syracusefan.com

So

We hold a team to 12% shooting from three on 20+ attempts.

We outrebound someone.

And we lose by double digits.

Oh boy.
This team is making the TRob, Darryl Watkins teams look smart.

Really low bball IQ from the whole bunch. We only run 1 offensive play and can't execute out of it.

This team is easy to defend. Guard the pick and roll. Slow Roberson to do whatever he wants outside of the paint...even when in the paint he misses layup after layup. Foul G. Guy can't make free throws. Make sure Trevor shoots off balance threes. Don't guard Joseph. Lydon afraid to shoot...

This team is easy to defend. Guard the pick and roll. Slow Roberson to do whatever he wants outside of the paint...even when in the paint he misses layup after layup. Foul G. Guy can't make free throws. Make sure Trevor shoots off balance threes. Don't guard Joseph. Lydon afraid to shoot...

Yup. And when a team trails at a H due to playing not focused or whatever they just crank up some ball pressure in the 2H and our so called ballhandlers fold. This has happened SO much the past few years.

Several bad TO's into easy run outs by UM. That is what turned the game. Joseph getting his pocket picked into a 3 pt play was humiliating. Roberson 2-9 missed at least 3 point blank lay-ups by my count. And we have to find a way to keep G off the free throw line. Lydon had 10 rebs and did a nice job on the defensive glass but he has become tentative and afraid to shoot on offense. Passes up numerous open looks. Hey Tyler, take them, nobody else is doing anything except Malachi who had a terrific game. Why has his confidence declined since Atlantis?

Several bad TO's into easy run outs by UM. That is what turned the game. Joseph getting his pocket picked into a 3 pt play was humiliating. Roberson 2-9 missed at least 3 point blank lay-ups by my count. And we have to find a way to keep G off the free throw line. Lydon had 10 rebs and did a nice job on the defensive glass but he has become tentative and afraid to shoot on offense. Passes up numerous open looks. Hey Tyler, take them, nobody else is doing anything except Malachi who had a terrific game. Why has his confidence declined since Atlantis?

G had 8 TOs. Surprised Roberson was only assigned 2. I thought he had around 5.

I still think this team is excellent at the 2, 3, and 4 - only problem is we have no 1's or 5's.

Gbinije could be the best swingman in the country - but we'll never know it because he's forced to play PG on this flawed team.

Such a shame that Coleman is so bad.

I still think this team is excellent at the 2, 3, and 4 - only problem is we have no 1's or 5's.

Gbinije could be the best swingman in the country - but we'll never know it because he's forced to play PG on this flawed team.

True. I don't like Malachi that much at the 3 though. He's a SG. Just a shame at the out of position players due to need the lack of a PG or solid lead guard ballhandler.

My fantasy is when JB comes back he'll move G primarily to the 3 with Howard running point most of the time

pearl31 said:
My fantasy is when JB comes back he'll move G primarily to the 3 with Howard running point most of the time

If we really want to develop Howard, that would be the way to go.

But I have no doubt that things will not change.

This team is making the TRob, Darryl Watkins teams look smart.

Really low bball IQ from the whole bunch. We only run 1 offensive play and can't execute out of it.

I'd like NOT to think that having seen the FR displaying savvier than expected decision-making...in November.

Love the idea of seeing what Howard does at the one and move "G" to the 2/3...at the expense of Cooney or Richardson.

So many odd parts this year. Like someone said, we are iffy at the 1 and 5 and being exposed because of both for different reasons. Thing is...this team seems like it does have more in it, especially when things run through Lydon.

Roberson killed us today.
He was just awful out there. Chino added more on offense? Chino had the best "non-roll" to the hoop ever today. Just stood there 30 feet away.

A major problem is that Lydon is not doing more on offense.
He played 30 minutes and took 4 shots.
Four shots.

This game was a matter of fouls & free throws (and turnovers).
Miami had 25 points from the line.
We had 8.
Game.

We lost because we played poor down the stretch. Just like last game. That simple.

Tie game with 4 to go what do we do.
miami hits a three. Cooney jacks a 30 foot brick Then a turnover 2 points turnover 3 points then we get a stop cooney fast break hits back of the rim while Robie has inside position for the rebound resulting in a fast break dunk the other way. all of a sudden its 10. You can't let that happen down the stretch, but it happens to all teams.

Just clear your mind a minute and do this exercise imagine this was our first loss with that happening, we wouldn't look at it so negatively.

Then the officials ignore two to three handchecks and gbinije getting blocked from behind from someone 3 inches shorter while shooting a three. Game.
Every turnover resulted in quick transition points for them.
I guessed the press turnover and after the first one said we should take it off we didn't and they dunked the next play.

We have been a poor team down the stretch last year, the end of the year before that and the beginning of this year. Just low IQ and not comfortable under pressure late. At this level of basketball iq and execution is a gem. Its not easy to accomplish, and when you do the other team awnsers back. Physical play gets rewarded for its hustle.

Last edited:
A major problem is that Lydon is not doing more on offense.
He played 30 minutes and took 4 shots.
Four shots.

This game was a matter of fouls & free throws (and turnovers).
Miami had 25 points from the line.
We had 8.
Game.
Lyden took 33% more shots than he did at Pitt.
Here is a thought to ruin everyone's day, what if malachi declares? The draft is about potential.

Oh, to live in that world. Honestly, I would hand over the 2 spot to G, and develop Howard. Would have done that from the jump...probably too late now to even dream though.

We're so handicapped by our inability to create off the bounce. Having a SF play the point is not the answer. It never was. Joseph and Howard should have been given the go from the jump, and let the best man win. Joseph due to whatever is lost in some bottomless pit so I doubt he works out this year. Still think he's a shooting guard anyway, so he would have lost that battle...no feel whatsoever for the PG spot, but keeps trying to play it. It's mental torture - for all of us.

The kid has regressed, alarmingly so, from what we saw in the exhibition games. I've never been a fan, but you see him now, and it's hard to deal with. He has completely gone back to the scared Frosh PG that wants to just dribble East/West 45 feet away from the rim. And he keeps getting worse...Feel bad for him.

We lost because we played poor down the stretch. Just like last game. That simple.

Tie game with 4 to go what do we do.
miami hits a three. Cooney jacks a 30 foot brick Then a turnover 2 points turnover 3 points then we get a stop cooney fast break hits back of the rim while Robie has inside position for the rebound resulting in a fast break dunk the other way. all of a sudden its 10. You can't let that happen down the stretch, but it happens to all teams.

Just clear your mind a minute and do this exercise imagine this was our first loss with that happening, we wouldn't look at it so negatively.

Then the officials ignore two to three handchecks and gbinije getting blocked from behind from someone 3 inches shorter while shooting a three. Game.
Every turnover resulted in quick transition points for them.
I guessed the press turnover and after the first one said we should take it off we didn't and they dunked the next play.

We have been a poor team down the stretch last year, the end of the year before that and the beginning of this year. Just low IQ and not comfortable under pressure late. At this level of basketball iq and execution is a gem. Its not easy to accomplish, and when you do the other team awnsers back. Physical play gets rewarded for its hustle.

This is true but there have been MANY games like yesterday where in the 1H we were stuck at 20 pts for a long time doing nothing on offense. Miami was still horrendous but we couldn't do anything on offense except turn it over or take bad shots. Virginia game last year in the Dome, Miami in the Dome, Wisconsin this year, etc. These teams are playing bad basketball in those stretches and we get stuck in a 1H rut. Then when the games get close we fold near the end of these games like you say. I don't think this current group of guards frankly can overcome any sort of cranked up on ball pressure. It makes them look like a bunch of H.S. players. They can't even get into any sort of offense. A problem for years. Plenty of mid-major teams can exploit this type of ball pressure and we aren't even getting hit with it THAT hard.

He was just awful out there. Chino added more on offense? Chino had the best "non-roll" to the hoop ever today. Just stood there 30 feet away.

Oh, Chino. At least he can get out there and not send us into a death-roll. We never really fell apart that I recall while he was on the floor. That's going to be needed at times when DC is in foul trouble, and TL is gassed.

Oh, to live in that world. Honestly, I would hand over the 2 spot to G, and develop Howard. Would have done that from the jump...probably too late now to even dream though.

We're so handicapped by our inability to create off the bounce. Having a SF play the point is not the answer. It never was. Joseph and Howard should have been given the go from the jump, and let the best man win. Joseph due to whatever is lost in some bottomless pit so I doubt he works out this year. Still think he's a shooting guard anyway, so he would have lost that battle...no feel whatsoever for the PG spot, but keeps trying to play it. It's mental torture - for all of us.

The kid has regressed, alarmingly so, from what we saw in the exhibition games. I've never been a fan, but you see him now, and it's hard to deal with. He has completely gone back to the scared Frosh PG that wants to just dribble East/West 45 feet away from the rim. And he keeps getting worse...Feel bad for him.

Yup. Pretty much sums it up. A glaring weakness the past few years. Even after 25-0, teams would clamp down and apply good on ball pressure and shut us down. Ennis was a game manager and not really dynamic off the bounce. I just remember how far from the basket our offense would stall and how difficult it became to get the ball to Rak.

Yup. Pretty much sums it up. A glaring weakness the past few years. Even after 25-0, teams would clamp down and apply good on ball pressure and shut us down. Ennis was a game manager and not really dynamic off the bounce. I just remember how far from the basket our offense would stall and how difficult it became to get the ball to Rak.

Yeah, I recall a lot of posters (not myself) noticing very early on how deficient we were on offense. I thought the CJ ISO thing was nonsense because his game was nowhere near suited for that, but was less concerned than others - who turned out to be right.

Yeah, I recall a lot of posters (not myself) noticing very early on how deficient we were on offense. I thought the CJ ISO thing was nonsense because his game was nowhere near suited for that, but was less concerned than others - who turned out to be right.

Yeah those games winning in the 50s against pretty bad teams were red flags for me. But, of course, I got scolded for not embracing the 'a win is a win' mantra.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom