Southerland Clowning | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland Clowning

In regards to Southerland, making a free throw while you are up 25 with two minutes and trying to get a high five from an opposing player is a douche move, no matter how bitter we might be.
James is famous for his goofballness ... I would consider the ability to have fun with and joke with your opponent when playing a game is an admirable trait. If a PC player had played along that'd be a refreshing change to the typical hate-fest & Southerland would have shown him tons of love from then on.

If you're into pointing out in-game antics, I hope you also caught the time when James was called for a tacky foul ... then got upset with himself, gave the ref the thumbs up & went over to tell him "good call".

... but that probably doesn't jive with the bitter "he's a douche" narrative.

James is famous for his goofballness ... I would consider the ability to have fun with and joke with your opponent when playing a game is an admirable trait. If a PC player had played along that'd be a refreshing change to the typical hate-fest & Southerland would have shown him tons of love from then on.

If you're into pointing out in-game antics, I hope you also caught the time when James was called for a tacky foul ... then got upset with himself, gave the ref the thumbs up & went over to tell him "good call".

When you are up 25 near the end of the game, you don't screw around with your opponent. No class.

Today I learned; being bitter and angry at losing a sports match is classy... but having a generally happy, goofy personality in all situations means you have no class. Imagine a world filled with people like that! Oh the horror!

Give the kid a break. He's a fun-loving person, he doesn't deserve to be demonized for it.

sid2-o.gif

I can't read this anymore, so many guys nitpick every thing a 20 something year old does and sit on their pedestal.

Today was the first time I could envision him in the NBA.

That's what is so maddening about him. Saturday he'll be so bad nobody will envision him even playing in the developmental league.

Today I learned; being bitter and angry at losing a sports match is classy... but having a generally happy, goofy personality in all situations means you have no class. Imagine a world filled with people like that! Oh the horror!

Give the kid a break. He's a fun-loving person, he doesn't deserve to be demonized for it.

sid2-o.gif

This board used to just tear into Lebron because he was always having fun, dancing around pre-game. I love seeing these guys have a good time...

If I were playing hoops for a living, I'd be dancing a jig at every opportunity

Having fun is great. You just don't rub it in the other teams face.

apparently the Providence fans do not like Southerland.

Here are a few tidbits from their forum

Perhaps we see them in the BE tournament? I think Big Ed will have PLENTY of motivational moments from last night's game. Southerland is a and honestly Carter-Williams S eating grin the entire game is VERY annoying as well. I would really love to get them on a neutral court with the underdog tag. I think if we stick close, the crowd will side with the Friars and could be a blast!

I could not agree more. Is he a talented basketball player, yes. Southerland is the key to Syracuse's success with his scoring ability, length playing the zone, and experience. That is why Syracuse struggled without him. It's too bad the Friars missed out on his suspension. But he is a ! Last year at the Dunk he did a windmill slam with the shot clock off in the second half. It's too bad we don't have another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange.

Love that last line. Um you had two chances and one of them was yesterday. I don't hate PC by any stretch, but this thought process is one of someone who is used to losing

I get a lot of that.

Though James only threw down that dunk because Providence was fouling and pressing in the full court and someone found him open at our end. Don't want the other team to keep playing? Don't keep pressing.

As a huge South fan, obviously, I get a kick out of his antics. The difference between him and other players: he looks overjoyed when he does something great, like Carmelo and Wes and others. None of that scowling, chest-thumping, irate act that so many of these kids learn to put on.

I love the "another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange" bit from the Providence board. In 58 games against us all-time, they've "stuck a knife" in us exactly 10 times.

EDIT: To put it another way, we own Providence more completely than we own Colgate.

Wow.

And if Flynn and Devendorf had ever heard of defense, we'd have held them to single-digit wins instead of giving up 100 points to a second-tier team.

I get a lot of that.

Though James only threw down that dunk because Providence was fouling and pressing in the full court and someone found him open at our end. Don't want the other team to keep playing? Don't keep pressing.

As a huge South fan, obviously, I get a kick out of his antics. The difference between him and other players: he looks overjoyed when he does something great, like Carmelo and Wes and others. None of that scowling, chest-thumping, irate act that so many of these kids learn to put on.

Yeah, except that wasn't case on the dunk. The video evidence posted earlier in this thread shows that.

You are a beyond delusional homer if you think any player on any other team is going to join in the fun and high five him after he makes a free throw while up 25 with less than 2 minutes to play. Give me a break.

Nevermind, you're right, it was off a turnover in the final seconds. Not sure which game I'm thinking of, but I remember the other team's fans getting all upset over a late dunk by us, when they were full-court pressing and trapping at the end of the game down double digits.

I misremembered too. Still not sure I hate it.

Maybe we were thinking of the Nova game when Fab threw down his 360?

I find it hard to believe some of you are giving a kid that plays for our team a hard time for doing a windmill dunk on a fast break. Unfortunately, we don't get to see a ton of windmill dunks from SU players, so I watched that one a number of times. He wasn't even demonstrative after it, he has just a normal look on his face. Whomever passed him the ball wasnt doing so with an intent to have him pull it out. Whomever made the quick, long outlet pass wasn't doing so like they expected to see the clock ran out either. Am I the only one who caught that?

I'm guessing seeing our center throw down a 360 jam at the end of the game last year ticked a few of you off as well. That's fine, it's your right to be. I choose to enjoy the rare display of showmanship on a dunk rather than find a reason to be upset by it. Life has enough things to be upset about, may as well enjoy the treats when we get thrown a bone.

You are a beyond delusional homer if you think any player on any other team is going to join in the fun and high five him after he makes a free throw while up 25 with less than 2 minutes to play. Give me a break.
I have to agree with that. If we were down 25 and one of our guys decided to "goof around" with a player from the other team, he'd be a freaking pariah.

I have to agree with that. If we were down 25 and one of our guys decided to "goof around" with a player from the other team, he'd be a freaking pariah.
I appreciate your post but you would have to be down 25 to even get the complete and utter POS move it is to even attempt it and from what I can tell Cuse won't be in that position anytime soon.

But trying to put the shoe on the other foot will allow everyone here to see how BS a thing it was.

I would really love to get them on a neutral court
hah . . . because, god knows, they don't want to see us at the Dunk again.

The Friars should know by now that, north of the Rappahannock and east of the Cuyahoga rivers, there is no such thing as a neutral court for the mighty mighty Orange Nation

I remember McAdoo well, great shooter and scorer. Seems like he was much beefer than JS. Ended his career chasing a ring in LA, I believe. JS has a long ways to go to be in McAdoo's class.

I attended my share of games at the Aud in Buffalo during those years and remember McAdoo as a great shooter, 6'9" and could hit from any where with consistency. James can do it one game out of three maybe but Bob did it every game. Those Braves teams were pretty good too, Randy Smith, Ernie D, Jim McMillian, Garfield Heard, Jack Marin to name a few.

I am James' biggest fan, but come on: right now, the only NBA player on the squad is MCW. Couple of guys could develop, couple more might get a cup of coffee, but the only guy you can say right now who is going to clear the bars of 50 games or 500 minutes is MCW

Carter-Williams and Batts high-fived one another during a late-second half substitution in front of the scorer's table.

There are times when contempt for your opponent seems reasonable (Georgetown). During a big blowout, there's nothing wrong with being cordial.

Carter-Williams and Batts high-fived one another during a late-second half substitution in front of the scorer's table.

There are times when contempt for your opponent seems reasonable (Georgetown). During a big blowout, there's nothing wrong with being cordial.

Wow!

I swear I saw James attempt to high five a Seton Hall player who had just missed a free throw (first of 2) late in the SH game. The SH player tried to ignore him.

I like James and I thought it was pretty funny.

For all we know, they are great friends and James just pranked him.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Who cares...it's a f-ing game. It's supposed to be fun, even when you're losing. It's not like they're in Iraq. These kids bust chops on each other constantly.

the high fiving thing is really funny, is there a clip of that anywhere?? but i can see why that would annoy the other teams fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom