Spring game 2018 & Spring Practice Dates | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring game 2018 & Spring Practice Dates

It’s a poor reflection on the program not be able to draw a crowd for the spring game when a number of schools attract huge crowds. It is what is. I can’t make a Friday night game, but SU has done nothing to make the game attractive.

What would make the game more attractive, AC/DC at halftime? I used to go to the game just to see new kids get touches otherwise I don’t really know what people are looking for.

What would make the game more attractive, AC/DC at halftime?

3345983-oh-my-yes.jpg

What would make the game more attractive, AC/DC at halftime? I used to go to the game just to see new kids get touches otherwise I don’t really know what people are looking for.

Step outside the box.

Have a "taste of syracuse" type of event on the quad before hand. Or a brew fest in the concourses. Feature more stuff in Club 44. Have a movie night on the turf after the game ends where the players and coaches can come mingle with the fans attending. Use Club 44 for a Trivia Event for Season Ticket Holders. Try try try. If you fail so what. Do something different the next time. Fan engagement is laughable in it's current state

I'm so over the Syracuse thinking of Select-A-Seat + Game = Fun!

Get creative.

Step outside the box.

Have a "taste of syracuse" type of event on the quad before hand. Or a brew fest in the concourses. Feature more stuff in Club 44. Have a movie night on the turf after the game ends where the players and coaches can come mingle with the fans attending. Use Club 44 for a Trivia Event for Season Ticket Holders. Try try try. If you fail so what. Do something different the next time. Fan engagement is laughable in it's current state

Get creative.

I don't understand why people expect us to be Alabama with this stuff.

The fans seemed pretty engaged running on the field when we beat Clemson. If this is what Dino wants, Dino gets.

I don't understand why people expect us to be Alabama with this stuff.

The fans seemed pretty engaged running on the field when we beat Clemson. If this is what Dino wants, Dino gets.

If you can't be Alabama on the field it is VERY important to be as engaging as possible whenever possible.

The fans (myself included) were very engaged running on the field when we beat Clemson. A security guard tried stopping people near me. That engaging moment was created by the fans. No reason SU can't put on a cool show catered around the spring game.

Look at Orange Madness compared to the spring game. Come on

But with all that said ... I don't think Dino likes doing the engagement stuff all that much.

If you can't be Alabama on the field it is VERY important to be as engaging as possible whenever possible.

The fans (myself included) were very engaged running on the field when we beat Clemson. A security guard tried stopping people near me. That engaging moment was created by the fans. No reason SU can't put on a cool show catered around the spring game.

But with all that said ... I don't think Dino likes doing the engagement stuff all that much.

Honestly, why. The team loses people don't go. The team wins people go. It's been a show me fanbase, and kinda rightly so, for a while. You know hoops is a completely different thing.

The bigger question is the ESPN one.

It’s a poor reflection on the program not be able to draw a crowd for the spring game when a number of schools attract huge crowds. It is what is. I can’t make a Friday night game, but SU has done nothing to make the game attractive.

I don't know if I agree with this. Has SU ever had as many as 7,500 at the spring game? Ever? BC, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, those regional schools we compete with the most. How many fans do they get?

I always have fun when I go, but in reality it's a meaningless offseason scrimmage at a time when most people in the area are dying to get outside, not inside. I don't see it driving ticket sales or interest in the program in any material way. Dino's first spring, the offense scored 7,000 TDs. What did that get us that fall?

I know it sucks for some of us SU football diehards to accept that we just don't get the interest that the big schools get, but we just don't. If we have a good team that's winning, we'll draw fans. If we don't, then we won't. Everything else about the SU football experience and its impact on ticket sales is just white noise in my opinion.

Honestly, why. The team loses people don't go. The team wins people go. It's been a show me fanbase, and kinda rightly so, for a while. You know hoops is a completely different thing.

The bigger question is the ESPN one.

So never try to get fence-sitters? Got it

You put one on to try to keep current fans happy. If you took it away you'd probably lose some of them. If you vamped it up a little bit, maybe you gain some.

I don't know if I agree with this. Has SU ever had as many as 7,500 at the spring game? Ever? BC, Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, those regional schools we compete with the most. How many fans do they get?

Dino's first spring, the offense scored 7,000 TDs. What did that get us that fall?

is just white noise in my opinion.

I had to dig a bit for numbers but in 2015 we had 4k. Our peers as you listed in order by attendance...Rutgers 15k, Pitt 5k, BC/MD no listing. I've seen MD listed as high as about 8k since 2003 and BC seems to wallow in our end of the pool. I think it's also EXTREMELY worth noting that Rutgers had 13k in 2017. ND only had 1500 in 2015 but had 20k last year. Based on these results I can safely summarize the following...spring game attendance has zero to do with the success of a program.

What did it get us in the fall? It didn't get us anything but I had a baaaaaad feeling about that defense.

White noise tastes good in the season ticket holders tent. White noise looks good on my license plate. White noise suppresses the agonizing sound of lack of bowl games, doesn't remove it completely but it helps. I like white noise...with ketchup.

I always have fun when I go, but in reality it's a meaningless offseason scrimmage at a time when most people in the area are dying to get outside, not inside. I don't see it driving ticket sales or interest in the program in any material way. Dino's first spring, the offense scored 7,000 TDs. What did that get us that fall?

I know it sucks for some of us SU football diehards to accept that we just don't get the interest that the big schools get, but we just don't. If we have a good team that's winning, we'll draw fans. If we don't, then we won't. Everything else about the SU football experience and its impact on ticket sales is just white noise in my opinion.

As far as ticket sales go it is very successful for renewals and new season seats. Could have anywhere from 2-400 brand new season ticket holders and maybe half of that number in renewals from the year prior.

Step outside the box.

Get creative.

I like it all! OOTB! the picture you paint would be best in the afternoon. Love the quad party, REALLY like the C44 idea as i truly believe most season tix holders have no idea what its all about. It needs to be a party, event. Add in allowing the first 1,000 fans or so sideline passes for the spring game. Make it a party on the field . Taking away the meet and greets ON THE FIELD and moving to Friday= death sentence.

Step outside the box.

Get creative.

Add in the fact that Dino NEEDS make himself available for a meet and greet at some point before or after the event . As do all the coaches . Given Dino's PR policy with his coaches , the fanbase has no idea who these guys are. Would be a nice touch . Dino is engaging and taking an extra hour to meet 100's of fans would result, no doubt, in a season ticket bump.

So never try to get fence-sitters? Got it

You put one on to try to keep current fans happy. If you took it away you'd probably lose some of them. If you vamped it up a little bit, maybe you gain some.

If the team wins we aren’t losing fans because we didn’t have a food truck at the spring game.

A lot of these other schools provide little else. Our base fan is at the Dome for 20 hoop games and then add in the super fans with the lax crowd.

Team won like mad when I was there and the spring game was a non event

If the team wins we aren’t losing fans because we didn’t have a food truck at the spring game.

A lot of these other schools provide little else. Our base fan is at the Dome for 20 hoop games and then add in the super fans with the lax crowd.

Team won like mad when I was there and the spring game was a non event

Okay I’ll just wait patiently for the wins to come. Has been a great plan the last 14 years. Lol I’m not asking SU to spend millions of dollars. I’m asking them to get creative. Have fun with it. Just because other schools don’t do it, it means we shouldn’t either? Cmon lol

Okay I’ll just wait patiently for the wins to come. Has been a great plan the last 14 years. Lol I’m not asking SU to spend millions of dollars. I’m asking them to get creative. Have fun with it. Just because other schools don’t do it, it means we shouldn’t either? Cmon lol

I appreciate your optimism. :)

"Orange Madness" is awful and an absolute waste of time. If you don't want to go watch the Spring Game then don't go. Football fans want to watch football. Who cares if a 40 year old man can get autographs and meet the team or not.

I appreciate your optimism. :)
I don't think he's being a pessimist. I think he wants the University to show some appreciation to the loyal fans who keep warming the bleachers during a pretty lousy decade and a half. While it is true none of this matters if we are winning. It is also true that we would win alot more games if we recruited like Alabama. Well we don't recruit like Alabama so to try to win we have to be creative. Well since we aren't winning, and haven't really in a long time, maybe SU should get creative when it comes to maintaining it's core base and generating buzz around the program. And while many of you are confident in Dino's ability to get us over the hump, even I'm over my fall blues and mildly optimistic at this point, the casual fan only sees back to back 4-8 seasons after back to back losing seasons under Shafer.

"Orange Madness" is awful and an absolute waste of time. If you don't want to go watch the Spring Game then don't go. Football fans want to watch football. Who cares if a 40 year old man can get autographs and meet the team or not.

I'm 43. I don't care about autographs. My 13 and 9 year old sons do though and that adds motivation for me to go as well as a lot of other Dads, Papas, Uncles, etc.

I don't think he's being a pessimist. I think he wants the University to show some appreciation to the loyal fans who keep warming the bleachers during a pretty lousy decade and a half. While it is true none of this matters if we are winning. It is also true that we would win alot more games if we recruited like Alabama. Well we don't recruit like Alabama so to try to win we have to be creative. Well since we aren't winning, and haven't really in a long time, maybe SU should get creative when it comes to maintaining it's core base and generating buzz around the program. And while many of you are confident in Dino's ability to get us over the hump, even I'm over my fall blues and mildly optimistic at this point, the casual fan only sees back to back 4-8 seasons after back to back losing seasons under Shafer.

Exactly.

All I am asking is to have fun with the event. Provide a cool environment for people to want to bring their family to.

SU is so afraid to do something and it fail. Deathly afraid of it. Remember the 30 days of giveaways they did for renewing your season tickets which had a bunch of cool incentives? Did it one year and scrapped it because "we didn't see the uptick we expected". They are afraid of their own shadow up there.