St. Francis (NY) dropping athletics | Syracusefan.com

St. Francis (NY) dropping athletics

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
F034F1E0-B8DE-48F6-88D5-DB81F4333E38.jpeg
Allen Griffin used to be an assistant there. Just yesterday I was telling my kid we need to go to a game there next season.

Sad for the students and alumni, awful for the current athletes. I assume this is a last ditch attempt to save the college from going under, ala Cazenovia College.
Had no idea Cazenovia College was closing.

Being D1 is so expensive. They failed their student body by not seeing the writing on the wall and dropping to a lower more affordable division sooner. Athletics are part of the college experience. You don't have to be D1 for it to be a good one and the lower divisions are the purest version.

Being D1 is so expensive. They failed their student body by not seeing the writing on the wall and dropping to a lower more affordable division sooner. Athletics are part of the college experience. You don't have to be D1 for it to be a good one and the lower divisions are the purest version.
I agree for the most part. But when you have one building in downtown Brooklyn as your campus, and you’re a commuter school, there isn’t much to gain by having athletics.

They can keep their St Francis scholarship.
Are schools required to accept students back if they enter the transfer portal?

Are schools required to accept students back if they enter the transfer portal?
No they are not. However, in this situation when the entire athletic program is being eliminated and people have no choice but to portal if they want to continue to compete, and St Francis has already said they will honor scholarships... well I would hate to have to be the one to justify that decision not to honor a scholarship if someone isn't able to find another school to transfer to and wants to come back just to complete their education.

There have been rumblings with this for a while. Back in September, my team played in a tournament that included SF. The coach knew it was a possibility and was preparing his players. Definitely unfortunate.

I agree for the most part. But when you have one building in downtown Brooklyn as your campus, and you’re a commuter school, there isn’t much to gain by having athletics.
The University of Baltimore was in the same position when it gave up athletics (but they had 3 buildings). Plus, their school's enrollment was limited to junior and senior undergraduates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom