Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note)

All I know that at the Bills games there is still plenty of paper tickets around.

Clearly mobile ticketing is the future for how fans will get into events but the old methods are still around.

As a retired guy count me in with those over 60 that would prefer a hard ticket while the younger crowd seems to be fine with using the phone, I really think it is a generational thing.

And for what it is worth some of my friends refer to me as the ticket guy as I always wait for the last minute before a game or concert to buy very discounted tickets right before the event. Countless times I get great seats either for free or a fraction of the cost... it pays to be a cheapskate.

I don't know what it is, but I ALWAYS use mobile tickets when flying or taking the train, but I'd say 90% of the time I will use paper tickets over mobile tickets for sporting events, despite having access to both. I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning.

This is not an ancillary benefit, but would internet count?

Real life example: I've been working from home throughout the pandemic, as mandated by my workplace. In order to do so, I need internet to connect. Like the majority of people, I already have internet. But, what if I didn't, and my reasoning was I wanted to "disconnect" while at home. Work essentially forced me to get a "luxury" item. I really don't know the answer, but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion sake. :)

That's a pretty good example. Though for work they're paying you, sort of an inversion of the customer-business relationship. But yeah, that's better than anything I've thought of.

(My best example was the need for a car for certain drive-through-only fast food restaurants, but that's obviously imperfect for a number of reasons.)

My company is giving us a $30 monthly stipend for internet expenses while we are working from home. But to your point, that is an interesting way to think about for those who may have chosen not to have internet at home for that reason.

Funny, because my boss told me to slow-roll my vocal smartphone aversion in March - he said that if I made a big deal about that, I'd regret it and a work-issued iPhone would most definitely be in my hands within the week. (He was sure of this because the same thing happened to him a decade ago.)

I only take my Luddite-ism(?) so far, though, I do have internet at home. But I've got to draw the line on the phone as long as I'm able.

*updated
2EBC48F3-72FF-42D5-963D-309AA8750F45.jpeg

An interesting link about cellphone and smartphones. It was published about 18 months.

The biggest problem with mobile ticketing is that fans can't bring up their digital ticket at the gate as to many people are trying to do the same thing at the same time.

One only has to look and see what happened at Cleveland Browns games last year where some fans did not get in till halftime as the lines were backed up so bad

Anyone want to get interviewed by the Daily Orange about Mobile Ticketing send me a PM. I'll put you in touch with the journalist.

I can't tell if this thread is entertaining or disturbing.

A few years ago (5? 10? can't even remember), people started using mobile boarding passes on planes, I was a little nervous about it. Needed my piece of paper.

Then took the plunge, and once you get past it, you realize how much more convenient your life becomes.

I'm sure someone has, or will, create an app that lets you ticket stub collectors manage that too.

The biggest problem with mobile ticketing is that fans can't bring up their digital ticket at the gate as to many people are trying to do the same thing at the same time.

One only has to look and see what happened at Cleveland Browns games last year where some fans did not get in till halftime as the lines were backed up so bad

The first bad decision was going to a Cleveland Browns game. Have done it for countless baseball games. It’s easy. And I’m no app geek.

I can only speak to the Apple world, but I can only assume Android has something similar. If they make it so you can add the tickets to your Apple Wallet, it's seriously stupid easy. And then it's on your phone locally, so you don't have to worry about your signal or internet coverage.

Yes, it can all be intimidating the first time. Take the plunge. It was sort of like bluetooth phone connection in your car. At first you thought how do I set this stuff up? Once you committed and focused on setting it up (which takes no more than 30 seconds), you lamented the seconds/minutes/hours/days of your life that you didn't do it sooner.

Then again i would say on avg 5-10 people ahead me in line trying to board with phones have an issue that leads to a delay.. I cant count how many times the apps have had issues with just my small number of flying experiences.. its easier for the airlines, I cant say its easier for me.

People, people, people.

Bring up the ticket at home. Take a screen shot. Open the photo. Done.

I have been doing this at airline gates for years.

Then again i would say on avg 5-10 people ahead me in line trying to board with phones have an issue that leads to a delay.. I cant count how many times the apps have had issues with just my small number of flying experiences.. its easier for the airlines, I cant say its easier for me.
Your flights must have been the exception to the norm. I fly every week for work (pre-pandemic of course). 4 flights a week due to connections - and I’ve been doing this for the past 5 years. Mobile boarding passes are stupid easy, and I’ve never seen the kinds of delays you’re referring to. Efficient, and it saves on unnecessary paper.

Your flights must have been the exception to the norm. I fly every week for work (pre-pandemic of course). 4 flights a week due to connections - and I’ve been doing this for the past 5 years. Mobile boarding passes are stupid easy, and I’ve never seen the kinds of delays you’re referring to. Efficient, and it saves on unnecessary paper.

Agree. I don't fly as much as you, but enough to know that I've never seen a delay caused by a mobile boarding pass. I have seen delays, however, from people just not being ready and reaching into their pockets or purses looking for their piece of paper. Or trying to board with all of their luggage (it should be legal for every passenger to punch this person once on the walk by).

Agree. I don't fly as much as you, but enough to know that I've never seen a delay caused by a mobile boarding pass. I have seen delays, however, from people just not being ready and reaching into their pockets or purses looking for their piece of paper. Or trying to board with all of their luggage (it should be legal for every passenger to punch this person once on the walk by).
You hit the nail on the head. Rummaging through bags or purses for a paper boarding pass holds up the queue way more than folks prepared with their mobile pass.

i dont fly all that much maybe 3-4 times a yr.. but i see 100% the opposite people with paper passes no issues. people with phones, dead, app wont load, no internet, scanning issues.

This is a common problem with any venue using mobile tickets

The screen shot idea did work in the past however now they use a random barcode that changes every 15 seconds thus making screenshots invalid. Another point to ponder many times fans get tickets from work or a friend and say they only can use 2 they simply sell off the extra tickets for pocket money for concessions with mobile tickets there is an electronic trail and that might prove to be tricky to some.

i dont fly all that much maybe 3-4 times a yr.. but i see 100% the opposite people with paper passes no issues. people with phones, dead, app wont load, no internet, scanning issues.

Difference between business travelers and vacation travel.

People, people, people.

Bring up the ticket at home. Take a screen shot. Open the photo. Done.

I have been doing this at airline gates for years.

Depends on the app/vendor. Some apps refresh the barcode to prevent fraud, so a screenshot would not work in that instance.

This is a common problem with any venue using mobile tickets

The screen shot idea did work in the past however now they use a random barcode that changes every 15 seconds thus making screenshots invalid. Another point to ponder many times fans get tickets from work or a friend and say they only can use 2 they simply sell off the extra tickets for pocket money for concessions with mobile tickets there is an electronic trail and that might prove to be tricky to some.
Really good article.

What was the learning curve for the Browns and the fans?

I really hope SU gets the chance to have a limited number of fans to games to get some of the kinks out. More importantly to educate some of the fans who can help others in '21.

Last edited:
Depends on the app/vendor. Some apps refresh the barcode to prevent fraud, so a screenshot would not work in that instance.
Better tell that to Southwest, Delta, American, and United.

The last concert I went to in Buffalo wouldn’t accept screenshots. Had to be the actual barcode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom