Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Thad Matta out at Ohio State / Chris Holtmann in

I've always liked him. Can't argue with his results. When Packer had Bilas, Revsine, and Dakich on the other day one of them pointed out a stat most would not realize. In the past 12 or 13 years he has the most B10 Tourney and Reg Season titles. Most conference wins also.

I didn't realize that. I would have guessed Michigan State. But those are probably the only real contenders. Indiana, Michigan and the other schools you might think of have had some down periods.

I've always liked him. Can't argue with his results. When Packer had Bilas, Revsine, and Dakich on the other day one of them pointed out a stat most would not realize. In the past 12 or 13 years he has the most B10 Tourney and Reg Season titles. Most conference wins also.

Matta’s health issues are real and hope he gets better soon. He did an amazing job at OSU but recruiting has really fallen off. He lost all 5 of his highly acclaimed 2015 class by the end of their freshman year. After Bazley decommitted in the spring the pressure really turned up on Matta. Bazley made some negative comments about OSU not playing in NCAA and NIT, see below, which is part of the reason I don’t see him at SU.

Darius Bazley on Ohio State Decommitment: ‘They Didn't Even Make the NIT’

Matta’s health issues are real and hope he gets better soon. He did an amazing job at OSU but recruiting has really fallen off. He lost all 5 of his highly acclaimed 2015 class by the end of their freshman year. After Bazley decommitted in the spring the pressure really turned up on Matta. Bazley made some negative comments about OSU not playing in NCAA and NIT, see below, which is part of the reason I don’t see him at SU.

Darius Bazley on Ohio State Decommitment: ‘They Didn't Even Make the NIT’

Right. I'm just saying that he's been a terrific coach even very underrated. Dakich said to Packer on Sirius that the back especially has truly hurt their efforts on the recruiting trail. Matta hasn't been out there grinding. Same with Boeheim until the past few months but Matta had an excuse with the serious back problems. Loving has been sort of a coach killer those guys said. Kind of MeShaun type who jacks up shots constantly and turns it over. They never really recovered from D'Angelo Russell leaving early. I thought Daniel Giddens was going to be a stud. He had a big man NBA body as a frosh but he transfered to Alabama.

I didn't realize that. I would have guessed Michigan State. But those are probably the only real contenders. Indiana, Michigan and the other schools you might think of have had some down periods.

Right. Wisconsin too maybe. That stretch with the Sullinger teams and even a little before with Evan Turner/Koufos/McLovin (Diebler)/David Lighty was some high level ball. Those teams were pretty dominant.

Right. I'm just saying that he's been a terrific coach even very underrated. Dakich said to Packer on Sirius that the back especially has truly hurt their efforts on the recruiting trail. Matta hasn't been out there grinding. Same with Boeheim until the past few months but Matta had an excuse with the serious back problems. Loving has been sort of a coach killer those guys said. Kind of MeShaun type who jacks up shots constantly and turns it over. They never really recovered from D'Angelo Russell leaving early. I thought Daniel Giddens was going to be a stud. He had a big man NBA body as a frosh but he transfered to Alabama.

Maybe its because I don't live in Ohio anymore but those guys used to be household names for me. Diebler, Craft, Buford, Sulinger, Amir Williams etc. The only recent name I knew who payed for OSU is Russell. I couldn't name anyone off this years team.

Maybe its because I don't live in Ohio anymore but those guys used to be household names for me. Diebler, Craft, Buford, Sulinger, Amir Williams etc. The only recent name I knew who payed for OSU is Russell. I couldn't name anyone off this years team.

Ah yes. Buford. Always liked his game. That high flyer Sam Thompson too. Yeah, currently this Marc Loving has been a huge disappointment. Former 4* guy. Think DeShaun Williams type me first player. They also have a Paul Harris type 6'4 guy who is more suited as a PF and not a SG. JaQuan Lyle. He was a Top 25 5* kid in 2015 class but he just was dismissed from the team mid May.

Fred Hoiberg is going to be the next Ohio State coach. From what I have read and heard.

Interesting. Not sure that's the wow factor that Ohio State fans were looking for. As cuseattle said, he does quite well when his son is playing for him and he had a pretty good year last year. Other than that, his time at Creighton and Iowa State hasn't been that exciting. I don't think Tom Izzo is necessarily shaking in his shoes

Last edited:
This makes no sense to me. I feel like they could have had daddy mcbuckets at any point. I would throw a big pile of cash at someone better and keep McD on the back burner. I would have gone after Chris Mack at least and seen what he said. Maybe they did that and this is where they ended up. It just seemed to happen really fast. Although maybe they have been working on this longer knowing that Matta was going away.

Mark, his son. He's solid.

Agree. Back in the mid-late 90's (his greenhorn year's) he had an afternoon show down here in Charlotte on WFNC, I listened to him on my long commute from the city limits to Lake Norman. WFNC was great back then, they also had Gary Williams (Golf Channel) lead a morning show that I caught on the way to work in the a.m. WFNC blows now in my view, and listen to XM-Sirius. I think Adam Schein on Mad Dog Sports (Schein in Sports) at 10 a.m. is the best in the bizz...of course, him being an SU alum, makes me somewhat bias. :)

lol - I thought it said #rolleyes :rolleyes:

For a second I thought it said "many more great years of Obama"

Back to the topic McDermit didn't make much sense to me anyways.

For a second I thought it said "many more great years of Obama"

Back to the topic McDermit didn't make much sense to me anyways.
So was he putting out a fire that doesn't exist or did they come calling and he turned down OSU for Creighton?

So was he putting out a fire that doesn't exist or did they come calling and he turned down OSU for Creighton?

I have no idea. For OSU's sake I would hope the former. If its the later you have to wonder two things, who had McDermott as the #1 option and why would he turn them down.

If McDermott is turning down OSU what does that mean for our coaching search when it happens?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom